Haggling undergrad financial aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yodudedudeyo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm no troll but I haven't had luck finding the answers to my questions with the search function, so I though I'd ask.

This year, when I filled out my FAFSA, my EFC was $3000 lower than last year's, yet when my financial aid package came in, I was given approx $2000 LESS (I'm talking about loans) and my family definitely made a lot less this past tax year than the previous year.

So I'm asking all of you fellow undergrads (those of you who worry about money and don't have rich parents) if you've ever haggled with a financial adviser so you could get more funds. By no means am I poor, but I'm not rich and I feel like I need more funds. Is it possible to "haggle" for more funds?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no troll but I haven't had luck finding the answers to my questions with the search function, so I though I'd ask.

This year, when I filled out my FAFSA, my EFC was $3000 lower than last year's, yet when my financial aid package came in, I was given approx $2000 LESS (I'm talking about loans) and my family definitely made a lot less this past tax year than the previous year.

So I'm asking all of you fellow undergrads (those of you who worry about money and don't have rich parents) if you've ever haggled with a financial adviser so you could get more funds. By no means am I poor, but I'm not rich and I feel like I need more funds. Is it possible to "haggle" for more funds?

I wouldn't use the term haggling, but at most schools you can appeal your institutional financial aid award if you feel you deserve more. The process will vary from place to place so your best bet is to check with the financial aid office. You can probably set up a meeting with an aid counselor/manager to discuss your situation.

And fyi, SDN has a financial aid forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=30