Half floater?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twinsmom

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was assigned to a store for 20hr/week. The scheduler will do the rest hours. I'm still a full time, stuff pharmacist. Anybody had this experience as a new grad? Should I request something better later on? I mean I don't mind to float some now, but don't want to do this long term.
Thanks!
Btw, CVS.

Members don't see this ad.

You mean you are a staff pharmacist 20 hrs/week at one store? Kinda confusing.
Or are you a floater assigned to one regular store for two days per week?

Usually new grads start working as floaters. If you impress dm or any pic, there is chance that you can be a staff rph or pic.

Otherwise, you may end up with being a floater for quite a long time because there is not much opening these days.

Last edited:
Yes, this happened to me at Walgreens. This happens when a store has a mid-shift and also, for Walgreens, about two shifts a week cannot be covered by the regular staff pharmacist.

Members don't see this ad :)
You mean you are a staff pharmacist 20 hrs/week at one store? Kinda confusing.
Or are you a floater assigned to one regular store for two days per week?

Usually new grads start working as floaters. If you impress dm or any pic, there is chance that you can be a staff rph or pic.

Otherwise, you may end up with being a floater for quite a long time because there is not much opening these days.

I'm still a stuff pharmacist but I need to float half of my time! If this don't change in 6 months I will start to look for jobs.

Walgreens makes all new grads float. CVS doesn't. CVS loves giving new grads positions of power, to try and change the mentality in a store to do things the CVS way. If CVS made you a floater upon graduation, it's either because the market over there is saturated, or you're not doing good enough on CVS standards. I would look into it more and begin to show that you would make a good staff pharmacist and have that CVS mentality.

I'm pretty sure CVS likes to give their good interns a store, or in the case of offering them PIC because it is easier to stroke the ego of someone who's invested significant time as an employee of CVS, because no one in their right mind would want to be PIC for any chain pharmacy.