Half Native Hawaiian - URM boost?

Started by deleted870631
Tags Tags
half urm native hawaiian urm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted870631

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did some searching but didn't find anything related to my question. Do Native Hawaiians get a URM boost? If so, does being half negate that? We're included in the AAMC definition, but we're such a small portion of the population that I'm not sure if med schools care...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If Native Hawaiians are included in the AAMC definition of URMs then they are URMs lol.

However...it's not just some boost to your application. If you identify as a URM, you need to be ready to show your commitment to your community and be ready to talk about your identity. I applied as a URM and I am half black, but I mentioned my identity in every essay I've written for schools and have discussed it at every single interview because it is a significant part of my life.
 
Thank you for the answer! I also feel very close to my community in ways that I will write about. To be clear, I'm not just looking for an "easy boost" to my application. I'm trying to form a school list so I want to make sure I'm applying realistically, and I'm not sure if/how my URM status will affect that list if that makes sense.