ManimalJax

10+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm trying to figure this question out as I was studying for the MCAT:

As2O3 (s) + NO3- (aq) ----> H3As)4 (aq) + NO (g)

How would I balance this redox reaction by using the half-reaction method? Would I be trying to form a net-ionic equation?

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep & Bad Singer
Vendor
10+ Year Member
May 25, 2007
I'm trying to figure this question out as I was studying for the MCAT:

As2O3 (s) + NO3- (aq) ----> H3AsO4 (aq) + NO (g)

How would I balance this redox reaction by using the half-reaction method? Would I be trying to form a net-ionic equation?

In going from As2O3 to H3AsO4, As has gone from +3 to +5, so that's a loss of 2 e- per As. Thus, the oxidation half-reaction is:

As2O3 —> 2 H3AsO4 + 4 e-

In going from NO3- to NO, N has gone from +5 to +2, so that's a gain of 3 e- per N. Thus, the reduction half-reaction is:

NO3- + 3 e- —> NO

From there, you need to cross multiply to balance the two half reactions (at 12 electrons each, because 12 is the smallest common mulitple of 3 and 4).

3 As2O3 —> 6 H3AsO4 + 12 e-

and

4 NO3- + 12 e- —> 4 NO

Overall we have:

3 As2O3(s) + 4 NO3-(aq) —> 6 H3AsO4(aq) + 4 NO(g)

We need to balance the charges on each side, because right now there is a net ionic charge on the left side of 4- while the right side is uncharged. This is balanced by adding 4 H+ to the left side (which means that it really was 4 nitric acid molecules, HNO3).

4 H+(aq) + 3 As2O3(s) + 4 NO3-(aq) —> 6 H3AsO4(aq) + 4 NO(g)

As far as atoms go, there are 6 As and 4 N on each side, but there are only 4 H and 21 O on the left side while there are 18 H and 28 O on the right side. The finally step in balancing would require adding 7 H2O to the left side.

The final balanced reaction is:

7 H2O(l) + 4 H+(aq) + 3 As2O3(s) + 4 NO3-(aq) —> 6 H3AsO4(aq) + 4 NO(g)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.