Hampton Univ.. anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alkali123

Wussup?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone heard from Hampton University yet? does anyone know if theyve already started interviews??

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing here.

Hi! I received a postcard from their pharm school on March 12th, it was mailed on the 8th stating that my app was complete and 'decision is forthcoming.' That was only a week after the deadline! However, this week when i returned from SB i had another postcard from the school's admissions office (not the pharm school) listing all of the 'missing items' from my app. I called and the sec. said to disregard the newer one. With that being said...i'm still waiting to hear too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview offer, the admission worker called me yesterday...for april 10.

yeah, i got a postcard back in february saying my app was complete and a call for the interview...are any of you from the virginia area..i have never been...if so is it a nice city (hampton)??

i just recieved a post card saying i didnt submit the "essay" does anyone know what essay they are talking about? i did the essay that was required on the pharmacy supplemental application? were there any other essays that i may have missed???:confused:

yeah, i got a postcard back in february saying my app was complete and a call for the interview...are any of you from the virginia area..i have never been...if so is it a nice city (hampton)??

It has good areas and bad areas. The location is pretty good- you're about a 30 minute drive from Virginia Beach (longer in summer when tourists are here), and about 3 hours south of DC. Hampton U has decent football and basketball teams; I believe they play in the MEAC. There is a lot of Revolutionary War history (Yorktown, Jamestown, etc) and Civil war history in the area, and lots of old plantation homes that are pretty cool to visit. Weather is do-able; rarely do we get snowfall in the winter, and if we do, the whole area shuts down if anything sticks (we don't have the equipment to deal with it so we kind of hibernate until the Being that put it there takes it away).

You're across the James River from Norfolk, VA-- biggest navy base in the world, so there's a heavy military influence. Hampton also has an AF base so there's lot of AF up there. Norfolk has an AAA baseball team that feeds into the Nationals, and a minor league hockey team that is just finishing up it's contract with the Blackhawks and will be getting a new parent team.

There is a killer amusement park just up the road in Williamsburg- Busch Gardens--- and another one just north of Richmond, about 2 hours up the road.

It has good areas and bad areas. The location is pretty good- you're about a 30 minute drive from Virginia Beach (longer in summer when tourists are here), and about 3 hours south of DC. Hampton U has decent football and basketball teams; I believe they play in the MEAC. There is a lot of Revolutionary War history (Yorktown, Jamestown, etc) and Civil war history in the area, and lots of old plantation homes that are pretty cool to visit. Weather is do-able; rarely do we get snowfall in the winter, and if we do, the whole area shuts down if anything sticks (we don't have the equipment to deal with it so we kind of hibernate until the Being that put it there takes it away).

You're across the James River from Norfolk, VA-- biggest navy base in the world, so there's a heavy military influence. Hampton also has an AF base so there's lot of AF up there. Norfolk has an AAA baseball team that feeds into the Nationals, and a minor league hockey team that is just finishing up it's contract with the Blackhawks and will be getting a new parent team.

There is a killer amusement park just up the road in Williamsburg- Busch Gardens--- and another one just north of Richmond, about 2 hours up the road.

wow thanx so much for the input...only 30 minutes from VA beach, i am sooooo excited (i live in buffalo, NY prob the coldest city known to man..lol), i really want to get in here, because at the moment i plan on going to boston, MA (mcphs) for pharmacy school and the tuition is like 7000 more a year. any way do you go to school at hampton or you just know the area from living there?

i just recieved a post card saying i didnt submit the "essay" does anyone know what essay they are talking about? i did the essay that was required on the pharmacy supplemental application? were there any other essays that i may have missed???:confused:

yeah there were two essays for the application process, I called before I sent my app b/c i was a little confused about this too. There was the essay for the pharm supplemental and you also were supposed to do the essay for the undergraduate application itself...if you didn't send it, i would ask if you can still send that the because the directions were ambiguous regarding that part of the application, I would not have known to do the second essay if i had not called and asked...

good luck

yeah there were two essays for the application process, I called before I sent my app b/c i was a little confused about this too. There was the essay for the pharm supplemental and you also were supposed to do the essay for the undergraduate application itself...if you didn't send it, i would ask if you can still send that the because the directions were ambiguous regarding that part of the application, I would not have known to do the second essay if i had not called and asked...

good luck

yeah im going to do that on monday... i thoguht it said for freshman applicants only...

In 2000, I spent a summer at Hampton University doing research, so I can tell you what I remember. The university is a nice school with a pretty campus. There is a water-front surrounding a part of the campus, so it has a pretty view. The dorm food was horrible. One of my friends stopped eating there entirely. Hampton, city-wise, has that friendly, southern hospitality atmosphere. Demographically, the school is predominantly African-American. I dont know anything about the pharmcy school though. I dont think it was there seven years ago.

I was there last April for the interview. Pharmacy building was so old and small but other buildings were fine. They were organized and most faculties and students that I met were so nice. But, one faculty told me that the institution was there to offer health education to African-American. I personally think it is not fair.

I was there last April for the interview. Pharmacy building was so old and small but other buildings were fine. They were organized and most faculties and students that I met were so nice. But, one faculty told me that the institution was there to offer health education to African-American. I personally think it is not fair.

You're going to have to get over that. Hampton University is a HBCU- Historically Black College/University- and is a very good one. Their primary reason for existence (and the reason for their endowment) is to provide educational options primarily for black students. While the student body is predominantly black, there are significant numbers of students there who are not black. Whether you think that's fair or not is irrelevant- they're a private institution, so they can cater to and admit (or not admit) whomever they choose.

I live in Virginia Beach, which is part of the Hampton Roads (Virginia) area, also called Tidewater. There are seven cities- Norfolk, Va Beach, Portsmouth, Chesapeake and Suffolk on the south side of the James River, and Hampton and Newport news to the north ('the Peninsula'). We are situated on one of the finest natural harbors on the eastern seaboard, hence the heavy Naval military influence, but we have large bases of all the major services and several smaller ones.

Va Beach is not the only beach in the area- there are nice one up there on the Peninsula (Buckroe Beach, Huntington Beach, to name a few). Traffic sucks if you have to commute between the South Side and the Peninsula, so if you don't choose to live on or near campus, I strongly recommend you find suitable housing in Hampton or Newport News. There are plenty of places that are affordable but still safe. The crime level in NN is higher than what I'm comfortable with, so I recommend staying in Hampton. It gets a little pricey as you get closer to Williamsburg.

Geographically, the Tidewater area is at the end of a gigantic cul-de-sac; Interstate 64 ends here. To get anywhere on the eastern seaboard you need to connect to I-95, about an hour away in Richmond. Then you're on I-95, the primary north-south interstate on the eastern seaboard, and you can go from Miami to Maine if you wish. For flying, your primary airports in the Tidewater area are Norfolk International (on the south side) and Newport News-Williamsburg International on the Peninsula (small but growing; it's an AirTran terminal). Norfolk International (ORF) sees lots of United, USAir, Delta, American, and Continental flights, and SouthWest started flying here about three years ago, but almost all flights on SW conect through BWI. NNWIA is tiny; the primary carrier is AirTran but also some USAir. It's much closer to Hampton U, but it's definitely worth it to check both terminals for flights and fares.