hand and wrist problems...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yogurtman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
there is a thread on back problems so i thought i would start one on wrist and hand problems- did not want to take over the other thread. i would like to get your thoughts on this subject.

i absolutley love everything about dentistry and want to become a dentist so badly, but fear having trouble with my hands and wrist. i am in my mid 20s' and occasionally my hand and wrist hurt such as when i write too much. sometimes my dominant finger joints (thumb and pointer finger) ache when it is going to rain or when the weather gets cold. i do not have arthritis now but it does run in my family (as well as hand tremors which i also do not have as of yet). should i reconsider dentistry as a career??

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm. Dentistry is hard on your musculoskeletal system, that's for sure. They do try and teach you how to properly position yourself to avoid problems with your joints, but it doesn't guarantee a pain-free career. Maybe you should think about dental research or teaching instead of full time practice.

I say stick to dentistry. I broke my wrist and was a bit worried back then but I am 100% again. I am not going to start charting the stars or reading tarot cards to see if I will have arthritis in the future...which we all will by the way. If you are already having unmanageable pain, that is a different story. It is up to you to try and have some foresight on the progression of that pain in the coming years. Lots of peoples hands cramp when they write a lot, don't be too worried about that. Good luck!