Hand Skills Concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BioForLife

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I started at NYU a few weeks ago. I love the facilities, have met great people, and the faculty is top-notch. In short, I really like it here. However, there is something that is of growing concern to me, and that is dental anatomy lab. I'm not exactly behind, but even though I got my work checked off, I'm not too happy with it. One of my waxups was passable, but the other was beyond terrible. So bad that I had a TA help me just to make it look like a tooth. It's not that I don't enjoy working with my hands. I find waxups relaxing and fun but I don't seem to have an ability for it at all. Is there any hope for me? Most D2 and D3 students that I've spoken to and even a faculty member who was helping me out told me not to worry because you learn it over time and that struggling with waxups doesn't mean you'll be bad at everything else. Based on your personal observations, do students who start off this way typically fall behind in lab?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! So I started at NYU a few weeks ago. I love the facilities, have met great people, and the faculty is top-notch. In short, I really like it here. However, there is something that is of growing concern to me, and that is dental anatomy lab. I'm not exactly behind, but even though I got my work checked off, I'm not too happy with it. One of my waxups was passable, but the other was beyond terrible. So bad that I had a TA help me just to make it look like a tooth. It's not that I don't enjoy working with my hands. I find waxups relaxing and fun but I don't seem to have an ability for it at all. Is there any hope for me? Most D2 and D3 students that I've spoken to and even a faculty member who was helping me out told me not to worry because you learn it over time and that struggling with waxups doesn't mean you'll be bad at everything else. Based on your personal observations, do students who start off this way typically fall behind in lab?

Listen to your upperclassmen. You'll be fine.

I'm a D1 as well. I hated waxing with a passion, but I've started to enjoy it. The instructors seemed to show concern at first, but I ended up scoring well on the practical. Just practice hard and you'll get the hang of it... Trust me!

Members don't see this ad :)
If finish is your problem flick the wax up through an open flame a few times and it will become nice and smooth. Don't leave it in there too long though or it will go bye bye

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely a learned skill, like everything else in dentistry I believe. Wear loupes, that will help

During my long educational course through dental school, med school, general surgery, anesthesia, fellowship, private practice etc I felt at times I was behind the 8 ball technically. Its about putting the time in, nothing more and nothing less. Its about repetition, nothing more, nothing less. Its about doing it over and over to the point of frustration, then one day it comes a bit more naturally. Yes, there are those select few with "technical genius" however most of us have the ability to be very competent if we log in those long hours of labor. Tincture of time my friend.

Don't sweat it. you have a long career ahead of you. That's why they call it lifelong learning

M

Reactions: 1 user
You just started a few weeks ago and you're already concerned about your hand skills? It's an acquired skill, you'll be fine.

Thanks, everyone. I was just surprised at how many people seem to be naturally good at it and was worried I was missing something. I'll keep at it!