Hand Tremor and Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

link2swim06

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I know this has been asked a million times of SDN, but didnt see it pertaining to ortho specifically.

I have an intention tremor which is far worse in my non-dominant hand. I had no issues really during anatomy dissections, other than people wondering why I had the obvious tremor. I did good in anatomy and was wondering in orthopedic is something where a tremor would causes me issues. And no turn this thread into medical advice, but do any surgeons regularly take beta blockers who have tremors?
 
I'm not too sure about ortho specifically; however, I do know that many dental students and some dentists were taking beta blockers for increased performance during lab practicals and patient procedures, respectively. I was also told by an instructor that some surgeons do take beta blockers as well (to have steadier motions). Hope that helps.
 
I'm not too sure about ortho specifically; however, I do know that many dental students and some dentists were taking beta blockers for increased performance during lab practicals and patient procedures, respectively. I was also told by an instructor that some surgeons do take beta blockers as well (to have steadier motions). Hope that helps.

Yeah, I've heard the B-blocker thing is pretty common as well. I'd also wager that since it's worse in your non-dominant hand, it could improve with practice as you gain more coordination with that hand. No ortho specific advice, sorry. I'd assume though that for obvious reasons, depending on the severity of course, it's less of an in issue in ortho than the more microscopically-inclined specialties.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's not really any of my business, and I'd like not to give offense, but there are lots of jobs in the world, lots of jobs in medicine. If you have enough of a tremor that you would need to take medication to operate, you should perhaps consider a different field.
 
Have you seen any ortho cases? Finesse isn't the name of their game. Probably the best surgical specialilty for someone who really thinks they have a bad tremor. Though I would tell you that people in all specialities have tremor to various degrees, you can find ways around it.
 
go to a wood shop or hand out with a carpenter for a day and pay him some money to let you use his tools. can you build stuff? makes straight cuts w/a saw? Hammer without knocking off your fingers? Not trying to say that orthopedics = carpentry, but having watched a bunch of orthopedic cases, doing some carpentry would probably give you an idea of whether you have the baseline manual dexterity to do it (with obvious exceptions like hand surgery, maybe spine and carpentry would tell you nothing about scopes).
 
go to a wood shop or hand out with a carpenter for a day and pay him some money to let you use his tools. can you build stuff? makes straight cuts w/a saw? Hammer without knocking off your fingers? Not trying to say that orthopedics = carpentry, but having watched a bunch of orthopedic cases, doing some carpentry would probably give you an idea of whether you have the baseline manual dexterity to do it (with obvious exceptions like hand surgery, maybe spine and carpentry would tell you nothing about scopes).

Yes, I definitely have that much dexterity, my worry was more about the hand cases or spine, I am still early in med school....maybe Ill shadow an orthopedics doc and see the dexterity required.
 
most orthopods don't do any hand or spine surgery once they are out in practice unless they specialize in one of those areas
 
Have you seen any ortho cases? Finesse isn't the name of their game. Probably the best surgical specialilty for someone who really thinks they have a bad tremor. Though I would tell you that people in all specialities have tremor to various degrees, you can find ways around it.

Ortho gets a bad rap for not being "finesse" because most feel we nail femurs and tibias all day. Try a knee/shoulder scope, working in close proximity to vital nerves and arteries (not to mention working on them), making the proper bone cuts in a total knee to ensure proper alignment within 1-2 degrees, etc... without some degree of significant manual dexterity.
I think it is disingenuous to suggest anyone can succeed in ANY surgical specialty with a significant tremor that would affect such, except maybe OB/GYNE, but they're not really surgeons...
 
I hear ya and the finesse comment. I know there's more to it than meets the eye, but it's not like being a CT surgeon and vascular surgeon, you know?

I had the same thoughts about being a gyn "surgeon" and having a tremor. 🙂

I agree that some tremors are not compatible with a surgical career. However, I think med students have some idea that we are all born with rock steady hands and no tremor. I was trying to dispel that thought as I've noted that most folks, especially if not focusing on position will at least have a mild tremor, which is of no real consequence.
 
Hand and spine don't tolerate tremors very well. Im a PGY2 and I have seen some people do both with a tremor. When I was a medical student, one of the neurosurgeons at County Hospital in Chicago had a horrendous tremor. When she was holding a mallet, I thought she was malleting for a trans-sphenoidal approach...then she started malleting and I was dumb founded...no joke. You will be fine.

However, I would say things like microvascular hand under the micro are out. I don't have a tremor and the scope makes it look like I do. Compile that with being nervous and it can make it a rough day.
 
Don't people develop tremors as they get older too?

What happens when you're at the peak of your career and you get tremors? retire? consult only? work for a medical device company?