Handheld ultrasound?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EthylMethylMan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll likely be taking a job where we get substantial CME money. I'm thinking pretty strongly about getting a portable ultrasound, but have little experience using them. Anyone here know of any good ones worth the steep price?

Members don't see this ad.

If your facility already has a good portable US with the appropriate probes that work, I wouldn’t even bother.

Otherwise, butterfly is pretty good. Lots of different views with only a single probe.

I'll likely be taking a job where we get substantial CME money. I'm thinking pretty strongly about getting a portable ultrasound, but have little experience using them. Anyone here know of any good ones worth the steep price?
A few of our docs have the butterfly, they actually got them when going on medical mission trips to have access to equipment that wasn't available in the field. I would hope your shop would provide you with what you need. Honestly those that have them rarely break it out at work unless the one is in-use/missing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everytime I think about getting one, I remember how disgusting people are.

Reactions: 1 user
I've got first gen butterfly. It's cool but kind of a novelty. I can't remember the last time I used it. The image just sucks compared to a normal machine. It's entirely useable if you've got nothing else but most places have a decent US. It would be perfect for mission trip work. Prob not worth the 2K splurge. I'd use it on something else.

Reactions: 1 user
Butterfly is ok for basic stuff, but you have to pay membership fees each year to keep doppler, FHR, etc. working (lame). Clarius is wireless, gives better images, and doesn't cripple it without fees being paid.

That being said, neither are as good as a decent portable machine.

Butterfly is ok for basic stuff, but you have to pay membership fees each year to keep doppler, FHR, etc. working (lame). Clarius is wireless, gives better images, and doesn't cripple it without fees being paid.

That being said, neither are as good as a decent portable machine.

I did one of those "paid surveys" for docs regarding decision-making involving the purchase of ultrasounds.
I made damn sure to make it clear that "subscription fees" to do things are a hard stop and quite frankly, insulting.
They countered with "but it saves images to an archive so that you can store them and bill for them"; and that's the feature.
"So, a *save* button and a SD card are your feature?!"

Reactions: 3 users
I did one of those "paid surveys" for docs regarding decision-making involving the purchase of ultrasounds.
I made damn sure to make it clear that "subscription fees" to do things are a hard stop and quite frankly, insulting.
They countered with "but it saves images to an archive so that you can store them and bill for them"; and that's the feature.
"So, a *save* button and a SD card are your feature?!"
I suspect that they try to lock you into their archival system which means you'll have to make payments for 6 years to comply with record keeping laws!