Handling busy nontrad premed schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjt223

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to ask to all of you nontrads on how were you able to juggle between classes, works, extra circular activities, relationship, family, and many more. I'm currently taking multiple gap years before medical school and I found myself in the bind on trying to juggling everything. I'm currently working full time and going to school part time at night. I was thinking of finding time to volunteer at a children's hospital and hopefully, volunteer at a research lab at a nearby medical school.

Side question: Would labs at medical school and hospitals accept nontrad for volunteering?

Not only that, I would like to volunteer at a under served community working with children and also maintain a healthy relationship.I found myself in the pickle that everything required certain amount of time including maintaining a relationship. How were all of you were able to balance it and also what's the best advice you can give for me who is applying for medical school at 2021?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have made sure to take things one step at a time. I started my DIY postbac (10 credits) and did an internship while working PT. Now I’m taking 12 credits and hopefully about to add research to my schedule while still working PT. Next I will add volunteering and more credits while maintaining research and work. The idea is to not overwhelm myself by doing a million things all at once. This method has worked really well for me and before I started this journey I made sure my wife was on board. I know our circumstances are different but I hope that helps.

Great thread, I was thinking of posting something like this.

Also, would love to hear stories of hectic schedules for inspiration :)

I'm planning on doing a night time postbac (2 classes) with a full time health/tech job and clinical volunteering when I can. This is on target for 70-80 hours a week, yikes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm planning on doing a night time postbac (2 classes) with a full time health/tech job and clinical volunteering when I can. This is on target for 70-80 hours a week, yikes.

I feel you. I may have to get another part time to pay more bills as I’m living paycheck by paycheck . I would like to get more research experience but I found myself in time crunch on how much I could invest to it.

It is definitely tough to juggle all of those things and many non-trads have done it, so it is doable.

Here's a bit of advice when it comes to volunteering/shadowing: Since your schedule is busy throughout the semester just push your volunteering/shadowing to the holidays. For example winter break, would be great to do about 4 hours a day to rack up those hours and gain clinical experience. Another example to to do volunteering/shadowing during spring break. So on and so forth. It is all about time management, the last thing you want is to be burnt out before medical school even begins.

It is definitely tough to juggle all of those things and many non-trads have done it, so it is doable.

Here's a bit of advice when it comes to volunteering/shadowing: Since your schedule is busy throughout the semester just push your volunteering/shadowing to the holidays. For example winter break, would be great to do about 4 hours a day to rack up those hours and gain clinical experience. Another example to to do volunteering/shadowing during spring break. So on and so forth. It is all about time management, the last thing you want is to be burnt out before medical school even begins.

From what I hear, it's better to do a prolonged volunteering commitment than short stints, can anyone confirm?

I finished 15 credits of UG (upper level science courses), completed my paramedic class (with internship + field hours) and worked full-time all in my senior year of college. It was absolute hell, but it is worth it now that I look back. Prioritize sleep and eating well, and make sure to put your grades first. I wish I would have, because it is much easier to knock out volunteering than it is to do a post-bacc or re-study for the MCAT.

Schedule everything out, even family time. As far as choosing extracurriculars - I would say to err on the side of choosing a few really solid, meaningful activities rather than trying to fill up your resume with a hundred things. Have good experiences that you could write a good paragraph about or talk about in an interview. (I'm not on any admissions board or anything, so take that with a grain of salt I guess.)

I'm a nontrad and I was able to volunteer doing research at a hospital. In my experience its about who you know! I had a friend of a friend who was a doctor there, and I just reached out and asked if there was any way I could help with his research. He said yes, and it turned into an awesome experience. Don't be afraid to reach out to people and ask for opportunities. Doctors and residents are often glad to have some free labor. That being said, I reached out to a lot of places/people that didn't amount to anything...so, keep trying even if it doesn't work out sometimes.

Schedule everything out, even family time. As far as choosing extracurriculars - I would say to err on the side of choosing a few really solid, meaningful activities rather than trying to fill up your resume with a hundred things. Have good experiences that you could write a good paragraph about or talk about in an interview. (I'm not on any admissions board or anything, so take that with a grain of salt I guess.)

I'm a nontrad and I was able to volunteer doing research at a hospital. In my experience its about who you know! I had a friend of a friend who was a doctor there, and I just reached out and asked if there was any way I could help with his research. He said yes, and it turned into an awesome experience. Don't be afraid to reach out to people and ask for opportunities. Doctors and residents are often glad to have some free labor. That being said, I reached out to a lot of places/people that didn't amount to anything...so, keep trying even if it doesn't work out sometimes.

Don't mind if I asked, but how many hours were you volunteering to research?

Don't mind if I asked, but how many hours were you volunteering to research?

I did about 10 hours a week.

If you're interested in working with under-served populations I would also suggest seeing if there is a Community Health Center near you.

Best!

I would like to ask to all of you nontrads on how were you able to juggle between classes, works, extra circular activities, relationship, family, and many more. I'm currently taking multiple gap years before medical school and I found myself in the bind on trying to juggling everything. I'm currently working full time and going to school part time at night. I was thinking of finding time to volunteer at a children's hospital and hopefully, volunteer at a research lab at a nearby medical school.

Side question: Would labs at medical school and hospitals accept nontrad for volunteering?

Not only that, I would like to volunteer at a under served community working with children and also maintain a healthy relationship.I found myself in the pickle that everything required certain amount of time including maintaining a relationship. How were all of you were able to balance it and also what's the best advice you can give for me who is applying for medical school at 2021?

Thanks.

Goodie! We will be applying at the same time! For me, minimalism! Well, I am a “semi” minimalist. I make sure the house is as neat as possible to where all I need to do is is maintain. Then make sure kids are on a strict schedule, in bed by 8pm. I do MOST studying at night generally from about 9:30pm to 3am but until at least 1:30am. Throughout the day I actively recall the info I studied. It may be just 2 or 3 questions. I plan to volunteer once a week (probably on Saturdays). I have a toddler with Autism so following this schedule works best for me. I used to work but helping my son is like a FT job beheaded is constantly getting into something.

If you’re not already Uber organized, I would take a weekend or two to do nothing but to “Marie Kondo” your home. Make a plan based on you and your family’s needs that works best with your job. Choose one day that you can commit to volunteering (the one at AAMC wants consistency for example in their shock trauma). And get As on your classes.

Keep in mind as a non trad you’re doing everything a trad does and THEN some! I honestly think being a non trad should be more helpful in the med school app process because you’re showing despite having a family and a job; was able to volunteer, get As and score well on the MCATs....boom!

Love this post. Definitely in the same boat.
Im working 2 jobs but both part time so averages to about 30hrs/week. 2 upper level classes, volunteering at a free clinic, volunteering at an assisted living home, shadowing. Oh and managing to give my family attention as my parents are going through a separation.

Still trying to figure this whole thing out but this is whats worked for me:

1. plan in advance- I schedule shadowing atleast 1-2 months out in advance if possible so I can take the day off from work if needed or skip an evening lecture or whatever I need to do.
2. Weekends aren't free days- Weekends are my time to do things I can't get done bc of a rigid work schedule. Most of my hours of volunteering are done over the weekend. Free clinic stuff done here too. Studying done. Family time done too.
3. Be productive during lecture- I attend my class lectures bc i want my prof to see my face and also sometimes he gives ec in class. But for me, I don't need maximum focus to listen to my prof read of his slides so I take this time to make online notecards, reply to emails, plan my schedule, etc. Time is valuable, maximize efficiency.
4. schedule fun things. Life is busy af and impromptu hangouts rarely workout so schedule concerts to go to, dinners, or whatever you find fun. Its just as important and its also something to look forward to
5. Just do it- its going to be a hectic schedule. At least it was for me. ie last friday was class 9-10:30, work 11:30- 4, shadow 5pm-midnight.
Its a lot but I've learned to enjoy the little things like the starbucks I picked up before shadowing and speeding on an empty highway on the way back lol

Thats all I got for now. Good luck!!! Oh and I am also shadowing as a nontrad at a children's hospital. Noone cares about me being a nontrad

Love this post. Definitely in the same boat.
Im working 2 jobs but both part time so averages to about 30hrs/week. 2 upper level classes, volunteering at a free clinic, volunteering at an assisted living home, shadowing. Oh and managing to give my family attention as my parents are going through a separation.

Still trying to figure this whole thing out but this is whats worked for me:

1. plan in advance- I schedule shadowing atleast 1-2 months out in advance if possible so I can take the day off from work if needed or skip an evening lecture or whatever I need to do.
2. Weekends aren't free days- Weekends are my time to do things I can't get done bc of a rigid work schedule. Most of my hours of volunteering are done over the weekend. Free clinic stuff done here too. Studying done. Family time done too.
3. Be productive during lecture- I attend my class lectures bc i want my prof to see my face and also sometimes he gives ec in class. But for me, I don't need maximum focus to listen to my prof read of his slides so I take this time to make online notecards, reply to emails, plan my schedule, etc. Time is valuable, maximize efficiency.
4. schedule fun things. Life is busy af and impromptu hangouts rarely workout so schedule concerts to go to, dinners, or whatever you find fun. Its just as important and its also something to look forward to
5. Just do it- its going to be a hectic schedule. At least it was for me. ie last friday was class 9-10:30, work 11:30- 4, shadow 5pm-midnight.
Its a lot but I've learned to enjoy the little things like the starbucks I picked up before shadowing and speeding on an empty highway on the way back lol

Thats all I got for now. Good luck!!! Oh and I am also shadowing as a nontrad at a children's hospital. Noone cares about me being a nontrad

Yes! No 2. Is so true!!! Being a non-trad is kinda like being in a group(not for exclusivity but to have others that understand what you’re dealing with). Kinda like being married and having single friends (there are some things my single friend will not understand) and that’s understandable.

Definitely need to hound(jk) a doctor at the nearby medical groups for shadowing. Lol ;)

Reading through this thread really solidifies how unique each of our paths are. I've finally begun studying for the mcat after completing my diy postbacc. The schedule I try to stick with is below. There are times when I sacrifice a Friday or Saturday night to blow off some steam and wind up sleeping in a bit the following day. This is the exception, not the rule. I toss in a 10 minute break whenever I've been at the books for over 2 hrs. All this is on a recurring schedule in the phone with a 5 minute reminder before moving on to each segment.

Studying is the most important thing for us. Even if I take a weekend trip I've worked in about 20 study hours simply by sticking to the weekday plan. Studying first thing in the morning guarantees it isn't back-seated to later in the day, where you will then need to decide between sleeping and studying. I've found getting nearly 8 hrs of sleep each night does wonders to resist burnout.

Mon, Wed: (~3.5 hrs study each)
4:30 - 7:30, study
8:00 - 4:00, work
4:30 - 5:00, study
5:00 - 8:00, volunteer
8:30 - sleep

Tue, Thur, Fri: (~4.5 hrs study each)
4:30 - 7:30, study
8:00 - 4:00, work
4:30 - 6:00, gym
6:30 - 8:00, study
8:00 - sleep