Disabled nontrad premed seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melcs13

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in 2016 with a degree in neuroscience and journalism from a SUNY school with a 4.0 GPA. I have since worked in clinical research while enduring many surgeries (due to a genetic condition), including an ankle reconstruction that left me unable to walk well and I can’t drive a car. It is simply unsafe for me to commute right now, but I don’t want this to hold up my education any longer. I wanted to go to the Columbia program, but it’s just not realistic. I plan on getting my ankle fixed, but need online courses in the meantime. I was considering UC San Diego, UC Berkeley, and UCLA extension schools. Can anyone provide me with insight on these programs or any other similar ones? Would I lose credibility when applying to medical school, even though the courses aren’t listed as “online” on the transcript, and I have a valid reason to take online courses?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok 1) why do you need an extension school with a 4.0 in neuroscience? Just take whatever prereqs you're missing from a local CC and then take the MCAT. So much cheaper and easier.

2) take care of your health now. You will always have more time now than in med school. You also have to factor in the time you need for rehab, follow up, and always the possibility of complications or additional surgery.

3) I took a lot of online classes prior to COVID and I was fine. I think they're much more accepted now.

Reactions: 1 users
I took several courses through UCSD Extension to cover some upper level post bacc coursework I needed. I had no issues this cycle with As from MD and DO programs.

Like DocJanItor stated, if you're able to take pre-reqs that you're missing at a CC, that may be cheaper than UCSD extension, however if you've already explored that option and your local CC does not offer online courses, and cost is negligible, then UCSD extension is a great option. Just be mindful that they operate on a quarter system credit wise so that may cause some issues for you depending on what schools you apply to (if they have specific unit requirements for pre-req).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok 1) why do you need an extension school with a 4.0 in neuroscience? Just take whatever prereqs you're missing from a local CC and then take the MCAT. So much cheaper and easier.

2) take care of your health now. You will always have more time now than in med school. You also have to factor in the time you need for rehab, follow up, and always the possibility of complications or additional surgery.

3) I took a lot of online classes prior to COVID and I was fine. I think they're much more accepted now.e

3) I took a lot of online classes prior to COVID and I was fine. I think they're much more accepted now.
1. I explained that the extension schools I mentioned offer online pre-med courses. Local community colleges do not even offer this right now, and many med schools don’t accept CC courses anyway while extension courses are similar prices. “Easier” is relative. Easiest to me = most accessible. Otherwise, I’d go to a program like Columbia or Bryn Mawr…

2. I didn’t ask advice about this because it’s not in the realm of reality. Not everyone has this privilege. I am not getting better even if my ankle heals. I have a lifelong genetic condition. Surgeries and health issues are inevitable and will always be here. I am going to be a doctor anyway, just need to know if these schools are credible or if they’d give me a disadvantage.

3. Thank you for this info.

1. I explained that the extension schools I mentioned offer online pre-med courses. Local community colleges do not even offer this right now, and many med schools don’t accept CC courses anyway while extension courses are similar prices. “Easier” is relative. Easiest to me = most accessible. Otherwise, I’d go to a program like Columbia or Bryn Mawr…

2. I didn’t ask advice about this because it’s not in the realm of reality. Not everyone has this privilege. I am not getting better even if my ankle heals. I have a lifelong genetic condition. Surgeries and health issues are inevitable and will always be here. I am going to be a doctor anyway, just need to know if these schools are credible or if they’d give me a disadvantage.

3. Thank you for this info.
If CC is accessible for you, I wouldn't write them off. Most medical schools accept CC coursework for pre-reqs. You would definitely want to follow up with specific programs, but I completed ~90% of my post bacc at CC and had a successful cycle. None of my interviews questioned coursework from CC.

If CC is accessible for you, I wouldn't write them off. Most medical schools accept CC coursework for pre-reqs. You would definitely want to follow up with specific programs, but I completed ~90% of my post bacc at CC and had a successful cycle. None of my interviews questioned coursework from CC.
That’s good to know, although CC is not really accessible to me. CUNY Hunter is, but I hear premed course registration is a nightmare. I will have to decide between one of the online extension schools and Hunter. Thanks and congrats on your successful cycle!