Handling Multiple Interview Dates and Finances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kittenz

Class of 19'
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been fortunate enough to receive 7 interview invites thus far after applying to 14 schools. Out of those 7, my top 4 out of 5 choices have asked me to interview. Like many others, money is tight, and I don't want to be in a situation where I've used all of mine up attending interviews for schools I'm less likely to attend. So my first question is for pre-December interviews, are decisions made by December if you've been accepted or rejected? If so, is it wise to postpone all of my non-top school choice interviews for after December? It sounds like I could then decline interviews to schools I'm not inclined to attend if I'm accepted by then. But, I would also then rely on 4 interviews for pre-December. What do ya'll think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I've been fortunate enough to receive 7 interview invites thus far after applying to 14 schools. Out of those 7, my top 4 out of 5 choices have asked me to interview. Like many others, money is tight, and I don't want to be in a situation where I've used all of mine up attending interviews for schools I'm less likely to attend. So my first question is for pre-December interviews, are decisions made by December if you've been accepted or rejected? If so, is it wise to postpone all of my non-top school choice interviews for after December? It sounds like I could then decline interviews to schools I'm not inclined to attend if I'm accepted by then. But, I would also then rely on 4 interviews for pre-December. What do ya'll think?

even pre-december interviews can lead to long wait if you are not accepted or rejected right away. (I am not sure if they even reject you once you are given an interview? thought they just postpone their decision, hence wait-list?)

If you are given this many interview already, I am sure your application one way or another stands out from others, so I would venture to say that you are pretty safe with 4 interviews from your top schools. Maybe postpone all your non-top choice school interviews till later or just keep 1 or 2 non-top schools that you are somewhat likely to attend if you don't get into your top choices.

This sounds like a good problem to have, so yeah, I am jealous.

by the way, can I ask what your stats are?

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats are 3.6 sci, 3.7 overall, 21AA, 22TS, 18PAT. I believe what stands out in my application is my PS and extra curriculars

Hey guys,

Estimate how much money you spend per interview and see if you have enough. Attend as many as you can afford. That's how I see it.
If I got ten interviews, I would attend them all, you can never be too safe imo as long as you can afford it. Thankfully I have a job and I've been saving up so I don't have to make hard decisions like this :D

I'm in a similar situation - how do you postpone interviews for your non-top schools, if you feel that may be necessary? Will they give you another date if you ask?
All the places I've heard from pretty much dictated a date that I could either accept or decline, which has played havoc with my calendar and my savings.

I'm in a similar situation - how do you postpone interviews for your non-top schools, if you feel that may be necessary? Will they give you another date if you ask?
All the places I've heard from pretty much dictated a date that I could either accept or decline, which has played havoc with my calendar and my savings.

It was tough, but the process really showed which schools would go out of their way for their students. You just have to hope they will understand. One school withdrew me, and another worked with me so that financial issues wouldn't delay an interview with them. I'm not going to say how, but it does really show how a school can go above and beyond another school for prospective students.

Thanks! I'm going to have to consider carefully I guess, but we'll see how it goes.