Handling Vet School and Baby

Started by WIDVM
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WIDVM

UW SVM class of 2014
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
While finishing my pre-reqs my husband and I had a unexpected surprise. Now I'm all ready to apply but don't know if it's feasible. Has anyone gone through Vet School with babies or small children and if so how did you do it?
 
I know many people who have had babies before and during vet school. It is possible, but I guess it depends on your personality and situation. I know one girl who got pregnant her second year, had her baby during spring break and didn't miss a day of school. I know another that had twins right before her first freshmen semester (and she already had a one year old). It certainly is possible, but a very personal decision that you and your husband will have to make. Good luck and congrats!!! We have one girl in our class with a 3 yr old, and 3 guys who's wives just had babies.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was asking the same question about if it was possible to handle vet school and a baby and a husband. Not that I am planning to do so, but I wanted to know if there were girls out there that had to get through that. I really admire you girls when making that decision. I don't believe in abortion and I don't believe in sacrificing my education at this age, so vet school + raising a child is what I would do if I am in the same situation.
 
It is encouraging to read your entries. I just found out I was accepted to UC Dublin and am agonizing over the decision to attend or not. It was the only school I applied to and I really didn't think I was going to get accepted. I just got married, I'm 25 and would like to have my first kid before I'm 30. There is so much to think about with moving, family planning and the high cost of tuition. Not to mention I'll be dragging my husband across the world with me if I choose to go. (We live in Seattle). Any other advice you have would be appreciated! 🙂
 
You can definitely have a baby while you're in vet school, if that's what you want to do. My husband and I are both vet students, and we had a baby between my 1st and 2nd years. I was able to take a year off from classes which was such a blessing, and I do recommend it if your school will allow it. It allowed me to spend that precious first year with my daughter. But many people are well and able to continue schooling, and that's great too. The one thing that is our saving grace, and I am SO thankful for--is the school daycare, that's open pretty much any time we need it. It's very near to campus so I can see my daughter any time of the day, and she loves it. Everyone asks "how do you do it?" And all I can say is this: one day at a time. If you look at your schedule and your classes/labs/tests, you think you will never be able to handle it all--but somehow you get through...and my husband even made it into Phi Zeta! Not to brag (I wish it was me 🙂), but just to say that in actuality, doing both things--going to school while having a child--is not as impossible as it may seem, and in fact is quite attainable. You will find support in SO many places.

The only detrimental thing that you have to be prepared for is "mom-brain"--that happens when you're really tired, getting up at night, nursing, and you find that you FORGET a lot of stuff. It comes back though.

Many many vet schools do not expect you to put off having kids until you're done with school and MOST are willing to make accommodations for you. I too was getting on in years and wanted to have a baby before 30--and it was the best choice I could have made. It's TOTALLY DOABLE!! Vet school does not have to be your life!! You can do two things at once, and we women are GREAT at multitasking! Best of luck to you, and to all the vet moms out there, WELL DONE!!