Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Handrwriting a secondary? Is that bad?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DZT, Jul 19, 2002.

1. DZT

DZT Senior Member

I recieved the secondary application from SUNY Upstate today and it is practically impossible to type information in. Do medical schools frown upon written secondary application as opposed to typing. My handwriting is very legible, and they should have no problem reading it.

Also, they ask "Course Number and Title" sometimes to be typed/written in a very small blank. Does this mean that you should enter for example, "CHEM-133" as opposed to "Organic Chemistry I (CHEM-133)" Does Anybody have an idea?

Thanks,
    DZT

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member

Why you cannot type things in? You can type things even in PDFs not talking about DOC files.

4. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member

You telling me you can legibly write SMALLER than a typewriter? I'll give 10 bucks to see that. --Trek

5. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Trek, how are going to send money to me?

6. Trek

Hand courier by a fat man-stripper with a distinct smell. Hurry! --Trek

7. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

I mean you can just type your staff in on computer in any font/size you want in a PDF file.

8. Trek

What are you talking about dude ;) --Trek

9. Fluffy

Fluffy Member

I hand wrote the stuff that has to be filled in, but typed the essays on the secondaries. Nobody ever complained about it, and I still got interviews. Who actually owns a typewriter any more? My philosophy is that if the school doesn't offer a computerized document, then they are going to get it hand written from me. Hope that helps.

10. vyc

vyc Senior Member

no, you should type your applications, period.
    every adviser i've ever spoken to has said this to me.

if you can't fit stuff in, make a duplicate table in a word processor on the computer and fill it in that way.

11. SMW

SMW Grand Member

Type them, definitely.

12. Gradient Echo

Gradient Echo Banned
    Banned

Last year Hopkins used a paper secondary (this year you can fill it out on the internet). I neatly filled it in by hand and somehow they didnt hold it against me.

But I agree its better to not take the chance and type if possible. I just think that it doesnt automatically mean you are going to get rejected if you fill it out by hand.

13. Ceez

Ceez Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I handwrote Howard's secondary since typewrites are hard to find in this wonderful world of computers. But it wasn't so bad since the secondary was mostly stuff like "check this box if" and so on...no essays at all.

14. Cydney Foote

Cydney Foote Senior Member

I can't give any advice on secondaries, but I can tell you that the docs I used to work for looked *very* unfavorably on handwritten fellowship applications. I remember the comments they made about being too lazy to find a typewriter. (Of course, they had secretaries who did all their typing!) Based on this, I'd encourage you to find a type secondaries if at all possible.

15. souljah1

souljah1 Attending

No one would look down on a typed secondary.

Handwriting may be looked down upon.

Type.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. exigente chica

Somone once told me that make sure you alwys turn in your best because it has your name on it, therefore respresenting you.
    But know first impressions, should be good ones, esp. with med school adcoms.

18. smilez428

smilez428 Senior Member

hey- i just got the SUNY Upstate secondary. I'm going to handwrite it. I don't have a typewriter, and I agree the spot for the courses is really small.... But I think I did it well. It's very legible. If they really only wanted it typed....they should have said that explicitly or put the page on the net. (Maybe this is one of the ways they weed out all those applicants.... ;-) )

Good Luck to all 2003ers!
    :)

19. doctorivy

doctorivy Junior Member

I typed all of mine, even though they looked kind of crammed sometimes. Call the school and ask if they have a PDF document on the web. If they do and it is not formatted, then go to a computer on campus with the FULL version of Acrobat Reader and you can format the fields so that you can type in them. Good luck.

20. calbears84

calbears84 professional baller

a "cheap" way to do it is print and paste or use one of those white sticking paper, type your stuff on it and just stick it on the application

21. NineSixteen

NineSixteen Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Only if you have a good typewriter. I used an older one and my application looked like poo. I eventually got in and that's the school where I'm headed, so I guess it wasn't that bad. Honestly it looked terrible, though, I wish I would have handwritten it.