Handshakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I like to think I have a solid firm handshake; however, sometimes I meet someone that utterly destroys my hand. Is there an etiquette on how hard is to hard and to soft is to soft?

I"m just wondering because handshakes do make a big impression. Weak/sloppy handshake ain"t a good sign but I know a solid one does. Anyways i guess i"m wondering whether my firm handshake will pale in comparison that shakes with 10,000 pds of force. It just doesn't seem natural. Any thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't "squeeze" their hand...just a firm handshake with a non-weak wrist, also wipe off your hand before you walk into the room they're in.

I can't tell you how bad it looks to have a weak handshake. I think some people take it way too far in the opposite direction though - nobody likes having to massage the pain out of their hand after meeting you.

Just make it firm, making it seem as though you're confident in who you are and why they should pick you.

you got to go in for the kill... meaning the web of your hand (btwn your thumb and pointer) will contact theirs.

at the same time you're having eye contact with the person at all times.

"webs touch, eye contact"

my 10th grade teacher made it a requirement that we knew how to properly shake a hand. and its awesome. because like youve mentioned, there are some weaklings out there. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Shake hands with a friend to practice and make sure you aren't too hard/soft. Also, don't over-think it.

Hand shakes... those were so 1970's. In this day and age I either do my "secret" handshake, or just a standard "professional" chest bump. It seems like the chest bumps are better received. Now, if you aren't to good at them, you can practice with your friends before your interview. Nobody wants to get a chest bump from a scrawny weakling, that really sends a bad message.

So if you don't feel confident on the chest bump, use your secret hand shake. Also, if you sport what we like to call "Man boobs" I'd suggest the secret handshake as well. Its always a little awkward when you get walloped in the face with a rogue "bro breast", just use good personal judgement

Hand shakes... those were so 1970's. In this day and age I either do my "secret" handshake, or just a standard "professional" chest bump. It seems like the chest bumps are better received. Now, if you aren't to good at them, you can practice with your friends before your interview. Nobody wants to get a chest bump from a scrawny weakling, that really sends a bad message.

So if you don't feel confident on the chest bump, use your secret hand shake. Also, if you sport what we like to call "Man boobs" I'd suggest the secret handshake as well. Its always a little awkward when you get walloped in the face with a rogue "bro breast", just use good personal judgement

I prefer the "secret" chest bump, but that's just me.