Happiest MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CitrusPeel

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I've been doing some soul-searching lately, and I've decided to prioritize happiness in my med school applications and in planning a career. I could use some help. I'm a nontrad applying this cycle, and I've spent the last few years working in research, but I'm now pretty sure I don't want to end up in academic medicine... I'm thinking community emergency or primary care.

My question is, are there any med schools that are known for happy students or friendly cultures, and maybe prioritizing student wellbeing? Any attributes you'd look for? Are you a happy med student? Tell me! From searching past threads, I have: NYMC, UConn, Pitt, possibly Michigan. And the advice to look for pass/fail grading and no internal ranking.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Not sure I would agree about UConn or NYMC.
UVM and UMass students seem chill and pretty happy.

Vanderbilt, Yale, UCSF, and Feinberg come to mind (especially the first three, because NW still has AOA and graded clerkships)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Vanderbilt, Yale, UCSF, and Feinberg come to mind (especially the first three, because NW still has AOA and graded clerkships)
Current Feinberg student. Can verify that admin cares about student wellness and make sure we have time off in our schedule. I have been decently happy so far. Preclinical grades are P/F, clerkships are Honors pass/High pass/Pass/F, no internal rankings.

Every school is on alert on student wellness, so every school should have an answer for you.

I'm not sure if "happiness" is the best attribute when it comes to being a healthcare professional... you're going to have to process a lot of very unhappy things. And being responsive to your emotions can be healthy.

What does happiness look like in your question?

There are a great many things that go into "happiness". You may find happiness in your relationships with your loved ones be they near or far, you can find happiness working with like-minded individuals, you can find happiness in a good work(school)/life balance, in your surroundings (some people like being around people, some like quiet and solitude, some love the urban jungle and others like seeing forests or mountains or the ocean from the window). Some find happiness in gathering with co-religionists, or in engaging in a specific hobby or sport. Some find happiness in competition for a top spot and the feeling of achievement in attaining it, others see that as harmful to their happiness.

What makes you happy and what/who you need nearby is going to dictate the kind of school that will make you happy so first determine what you want and then figure out which schools have what you are looking for.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Any school that’s completely pass fail, gives out many full COA scholarships, and has adequate research opportunities to publish quickly

There are a great many things that go into "happiness". You may find happiness in your relationships with your loved ones be they near or far, you can find happiness working with like-minded individuals, you can find happiness in a good work(school)/life balance, in your surroundings (some people like being around people, some like quiet and solitude, some love the urban jungle and others like seeing forests or mountains or the ocean from the window). Some find happiness in gathering with co-religionists, or in engaging in a specific hobby or sport. Some find happiness in competition for a top spot and the feeling of achievement in attaining it, others see that as harmful to their happiness.

What makes you happy and what/who you need nearby is going to dictate the kind of school that will make you happy so first determine what you want and then figure out which schools have what you are looking for.
Absolutely. However, if I were to point my finger to the most common element of happiness among different kinds of med students, it would be how much free time our school gives us so that we are able to pursue whatever makes us happy, whether that would be hobbies, relationships, self-care, or professional development.

Reactions: 2 users
Seriously, getting into one med school first before worrying about the rest.

Unless one is going to apply to all 100+ schools, there needs to be a few ways to narrow the field of schools you'd choose to apply too. I don't care how much free time I had, it wouldn't be enough if I were stuck in Albany NY. ;)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Thank you to all who have responded!

You're right, I know happiness varies from person to person, and a lot of this will be specific to my personality. But I've noticed from having worked at or spent time around students at a few schools that some seem more generally... miserable than others. I'm thinking about the differences in overall education style, student body, and curriculum that contribute. Like @Lifeblood_20 said, free time and support in being a whole person, or (as I noticed when I moved to my current institution) whether the culture is one where attendings are often demeaning to students.

Thank you to all who have responded!

You're right, I know happiness varies from person to person, and a lot of this will be specific to my personality. But I've noticed from having worked at or spent time around students at a few schools that some seem more generally... miserable than others. I'm thinking about the differences in overall education style, student body, and curriculum that contribute. Like @Lifeblood_20 said, free time and support in being a whole person, or (as I noticed when I moved to my current institution) whether the culture is one where attendings are often demeaning to students.
I concur. Curiously, as faculty, we see something of a cohort effect, too, where things may not change much year to year but the students respond much differently to the same stimuli. Sometime, it appears, this is due to the influencers in the class who tend to emerge early and influence fellow students for good or ill. There is really no predicting this.

Having been in your shoes some years ago, the one thing I would probably tell my younger self is to go somewhere pass fail and also closer to home (or at least east to fly to).

I concur. Curiously, as faculty, we see something of a cohort effect, too, where things may not change much year to year but the students respond much differently to the same stimuli. Sometime, it appears, this is due to the influencers in the class who tend to emerge early and influence fellow students for good or ill. There is really no predicting this.
No class is ever the same as a previous class in responding to the stresses of the same curricular schedule, even give or take a few tweaks. Yet they all come out to be the best class ever (from my experience) :) .