Should I still apply to MD schools this late in cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hja25

Reaction score
Stats: 3.97 cgpa/3.99 sgpa
MCAT:515 (2nd take), 507 (1st take)
ECs: I would say they are good and unique with a variety of experiences.
LOR: I have MD, Science profs, and Work LORS. My schools doesn't give committee letters
I have already applied to DO, with 2 interviews. I am wondering if I should apply MD because I just got my new MCAT score back. I could very well apply tonight since I have everything ready in terms of application. I am also a Canadian applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Although there are 57 MD schools that say that they consider Canadians, you will notice on further inspection that most of them took two or less. These tend to be internal candidates (BS/MDs, research interns, their own undergrads...).

Go through through these 57 (in MSAR) and target the ones that take Canadians and matriculated at least three and interviewed at least a dozen.

Reactions: 1 users
When looking at the schools that are friendly to Canadian applicants, also consider that you are better off estimating your MCAT at 511 than 515 as many schools will take both scores into account and not treat you like someone who scored 515 on their only attempt.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you think they address your mission as a physician, we'll take your word for it. Did you network with schools before applying so you know which schools are more likely to take you?
Initially, I only applied to DO schools thinking my MCAT score was too low as an international applicant for MD so I did not really network with any MD schools. Now that I have increased my score significantly on my retake I feel like my window is opened up for MD application, but I am unsure if my application is competitive enough to get over the late application hump.

Initially, I only applied to DO schools thinking my MCAT score was too low as an international applicant for MD so I did not really network with any MD schools. Now that I have increased my score significantly on my retake I feel like my window is opened up for MD application, but I am unsure if my application is competitive enough to get over the late application hump.
This is why networking before applying is important, especially as a Canadian trying to get into US schools. It's too easy for your own biases to work against you.

If you have the money, you can try, but you have also been told you must apply to the plethora of DO schools where you have a better chance by timing and with your MCAT. It's your choice to go with a risky play, but at least you can play the odds.