Happiest ObGyn residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almondjoy417

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there are rankings out there for residency programs, but i'm interested in looking at programs that have happy residents and are not "malignant".

I'm not picky on location. I'd be happy with DO or MD. I'd like to be at a large teaching instituion because I'm thinking that gyn onc is where I'm headed... However I'm not stuck on going anywhere that is bog name.

I got a 231 on USMLE step 1... So I'm not hugely competitive, but I think that's pretty good for a DO student!!

Anyone have suggestions? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Your question may be unanswerable. I say this because every program I interviewed at this year talked about how they were all happy. I cant remember the number of times I was told "this program is not malignant" That being said, I did rotations at 3 of the places, and one I would classify as malignant and ended up not ranking them. Everyone can put on a nice happy everything is great face for the one day we are there. But its not all bad news, it truly believe that most programs out there are pretty good. Or at least i got that impression from the combination of away rotations, second looks I did, and friends I talked to from my school currently in their programs.

Your question may be unanswerable. I say this because every program I interviewed at this year talked about how they were all happy. I cant remember the number of times I was told "this program is not malignant"

I had the same experience. A good way to find out more about a specific program is to email the residents. Interview day is all bells and whistles but a more realistic viewpoint may emerge via a friendly email dialog. Talking to others on the trail also helps...especially medical students who attended the institution that you interview at. Most know the inside scoop after completing 6 wks on their core.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out Baylor COM in Houston, TX. Some days are tough and some attendings are tough but overall it's been a really fun intern year. If autonomy is what you want then this is your place.

SUNY Stony Brook has happy ob/gyn residents if you're looking east coast. I'm an ED resident though, so I just know what I see when they come down to consult and what's going on in the L&D floor.

I looove my program. Never expected to enjoy intern year more than med school, but I do! :)

I looove my program. Never expected to enjoy intern year more than med school, but I do! :)
I just went to the website for your residency program. It sounds great! I am very, VERY interested in Ob/Gyn as a specialty and it is hugely important to me that I receive training from midwives as well as doctors. I am going to have to remember Brown Women & Infants in 5 years. :D

University of Texas at Houston had some of the happiest residents my significant other had ever met when she did an away

2 mentions of Houston programs - several OB/GYN programs in this great city. As a Pennsylvania student I'm wondering how difficult it is for out-of-staters to land interviews and positions? Specifically the programs mentioned, also Methodist.

I've noted the happiest residents are the ones who go on retreats and do things as a group. The happier programs also tend to have less drop out.
But as well all know the OB programs do have more turnover simply because of the stress and face pace as people change their minds.

Check out OHSU. I would say they were by far the happiest residents when I was applying. They also spend a good amount of time hanging out, tennis, salsa dancing all that stuff. I went there myself and have nothing but raves.

Looking for a program where people are happy is an excellent way of looking for residency programs. You can work very hard to find yourself in a very competitive and unhappy program.

Best of luck