1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy interview tales

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by BKN, Dec 13, 2005.

1. BKN

BKN Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

In the middle of all this angst, what good things have happened?

Here's mine. Ten years ago we had an off-cycle position open. One of our graduates sent out a Doc who had been working for her. He was an FP who was working EM, but wanted to get the ticket.

So he showed up for an informal interview while I was on duty. We talked for about 1/2 hour, then my team showed up with a CT. I flipped it up and decided to pimp him a little. "What's your reading, Dr?".

"I think there's a small SAH with a little blood in the cisterns of the middle fossa."

I was pleased and said so. 5 Minutes later he had to leave, had to catch a plane.

Later he told me that the whole team had gone behind my back and said "Leave, you're golden, you could only screw up by sticking around!"

He did make a very fine resident. ;)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

:barf:

Ain't no happy tales until after matchday.

4. Orange Julius

7+ Year Member

5. Poety

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My happy story about the interview trail is that I have met some really great applicants along the way that I keep in touch with via phone. Unfortunately, I haven't ran into them again but its been nice to make new connections with people.

I've also been taken out to the Longhorn restaurant twice which has the best steak and chocolate desserts ever!

Its actually been a lot of fun to meet so many residents and I think this process is exciting - although I think the airlines could do something about the cost :)

6. tridoc13

tridoc13 SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Here's an e.mail we received from our school a while ago... I haven't used it because I've found discounted tickets online with better prices, but it may help some others who are still struggling with the cost of tickets...

Greetings Class of 2006,

The AAMC has renewed an agreement with American Airlines to offer discounts for senior medical students traveling to interviews for residency programs.

Valid travel dates are October 1, 2005 - May 31, 2006.

Discount is 5%% off the lowest applicable coach fare.

Discount is not currently applicable to internet fares.

Tickets should be purchased at least seven days prior to departure in order to receive the discount.

Discounts/fares are valid for round-trip travel on American Airlines and American Eagle to your meeting destination for travel from anywhere in the contiguous 48 states, Hawaii and Canada. Seats are limited. Certain restrictions may apply. Applicable taxes and service charges may apply. Please call for details.

For reservations and ticketing information, call American Airline's Meeting Services Desk, or have your travel professional call (800) 433-1790 and reference the AAMC Index #17603.

Information is available from the OSR Website: http://www.aamc.org/members/osr/discounts.htm

tridoc13

7. Orange Julius

7+ Year Member

:laugh: :laugh: That's great. Keep the funnies coming. :thumbup:

8. Poety

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Whats funny? I like that Longhorn place! We don't have Longhorn here dammit! :p