Most common interview mistakes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol wut. That's like going on a date with someone, them asking what you find attractive in them and you saying "IT'S A NUMBERS GAME".

It's not supposed to make you feel awkward, it's to ensure you've put a modicum of thought into it and give you the opportunity to demonstrate it.
I think dating someone for a potential marriage and lifelong union is very different than a residency program. for someone applying to derm or ortho, while I'm sure they have a total preference, for example, the goal is to match - so whether they match to their preferred program vs. middle of nowhere, it's better than not matching. do you really think that a person who applies to 60 programs for example is truly interested in all of them? no. but it's better than not matching.

I'm not sure who really asks "what do you find attractive in me" when dating. I've never asked that nor has anyone asked me that either. it's assumed that if you are going on a date with someone you are interested in them. you also don't date tens of people (or hopefully not) at the same time. so the assumption is that you find the person you are dating attractive.

we all need to match somewhere - some programs we love, some we tolerate, some we'll match to even if we hate it because it's better than not matching.

this is my personal view. not making a judgment per se, just stating it drove me nuts.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
why would a tie be so important for a job? how many male doctors actually wear a tie these days when seeing patients?
I wear a tie in the office. But other than scrubs in non-procedural outpatient settings, I don’t care what people wear as long as it’s appropriate for the situation.

For interviews it’s a little bit different though, and I’m a proponent of being conservative in that setting. Especially since you never know what bulls*** biases the person on the other side of the desk has. Once you’re “in”, do whatever works for you.

Reactions: 5 users
I wear a tie in the office. But other than scrubs in non-procedural outpatient settings, I don’t care what people wear as long as it’s appropriate for the situation.

For interviews it’s a little bit different though, and I’m a proponent of being conservative in that setting. Especially since you never know what bulls*** biases the person on the other side of the desk has. Once you’re “in”, do whatever works for you.
I stopped wearing a coat and tie somewhere around 2007.

Scrubs for lyfe.

Reactions: 3 users
Lol. If I wanted to look like a pretentious douchebag at work, I'd have stayed in academia. Or gone into law or private equity.
Unless you are doing a procedure or otherwise are going to get fluids on you… there is no reason to wear scrubs…frankly that’s a bit pretentious… if you have no real reason to wear them…kinda like people wearing shoe covers and bouffant scrub caps in the cafeteria… why?

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Unless you are doing a procedure or otherwise are going to get fluids on you… there is no reason to wear scrubs…frankly that’s a bit pretentious… if you have no real reason to wear them…kinda like people wearing shoe covers and bouffant scrub caps in the cafeteria… why?
I agree. I think it just looks sloppy. There are studies showing that patients actually prefer their doctors to wear business casual, ideally with a white coat. Scrubs come in dead last (behind suits).

I’m tall and I also find a lot of scrubs to be ill fitting and uncomfortable. There are a lot of situations where I’d rather just wear business casual. I’m plus/minus on ties, as they’re definitely vectors for microbial contamination. I also do a fair number of procedures as a rheumatologist, and I’ve never managed to get blood or whatever other bodily fluids on myself in doing so…

(Also, the shoe covers/bouffant caps in the cafeteria thing is just laziness with a touch of douche sprinkled in…if you think I give a **** about the fact that you work in or around the procedure suites, you’re wrong…)

Last edited:
I agree. I think it just looks sloppy. There are studies showing that patients actually prefer their doctors to wear business casual, ideally with a white coat. Scrubs come in dead last (behind suits).

I’m tall and I also find a lot of scrubs to be ill fitting and uncomfortable. There are a lot of situations where I’d rather just wear business casual.
Do you wear a tie or nah?

There are studies showing that patients actually prefer their doctors
There are studies that prefer their doctors to be engaging, forthright, and not pretentious d-bags. Now tell me again about that survey methodology (yawn).

Do whatever feels comfortable to you. Scrubs are fine, and disparaging a colleague for wearing them is about as childish as it gets.

ps. if you wear a collared shirt with no tie, you look like a lost administrator or, if wearing a white coat, a respiratory tech.
GIF by Zack Kantor

Last edited:

I’m tall and I also find a lot of scrubs to be ill fitting and uncomfortable. There are a lot of situations where I’d rather just wear business casual. I’m plus/minus on ties, as they’re definitely vectors for microbial contamination. I also do a fair number of procedures as a rheumatologist, and I’ve never managed to get blood or whatever other bodily fluids on myself in doing so…

(Also, the shoe covers/bouffant caps in the cafeteria thing is just laziness with a touch of douche sprinkled in…if you think I give a **** about the fact that you work in or around the procedure suites, you’re wrong…)

When I'm between cases and getting lunch, I don't take off my hat or shoe covers. I don't care what people may or may not think about it. I'm just trying to eat. I'm not looking to impress anyone.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not looking to impress anyone.
The only people you need to impress are the patients and their families.

And by impress, I do mean: Look in their eyes, talk clearly, at a level they understand, and show a bit of empathy for their concern.

If you do that, you will have a nice career. Or, you can be a pretentious busybody d-bag and act like you're god's gift to the world. In your expensive suit if you so desire. This might even be a requirement in Plastic Surgery.

There are studies that prefer their doctors to be engaging, forthright, and not pretentious d-bags. Now tell me again about that survey methodology (yawn).

Do whatever feels comfortable to you. Scrubs are fine, and disparaging a colleague for wearing them is about as childish as it gets.

ps. if you wear a collared shirt with no tie, you look like a lost administrator or, if wearing a white coat, a respiratory tech.
GIF by Zack Kantor
Don’t be a d-bag. I don’t look, or act, pretentious in my day to day practice and I don’t like doctors that do. I don’t wear suits. I simply try to look professional. There are many different ways to accomplish this.

I don’t like scrubs. Never have, not even as a resident. Not wearing them is a personal decision, just as much as yours is to wear them. As I said before, I don’t find them comfortable and I *do* think they often look sloppy. (I am apparently not the only healthcare professional who feels this way, judging from this thread.) It’s an opinion, but admittedly not a big deal and not something that’s worth having doctors argue about.

Last edited:
When I'm between cases and getting lunch, I don't take off my hat or shoe covers. I don't care what people may or may not think about it. I'm just trying to eat. I'm not looking to impress anyone.
That’s good. Certainly where I trained and where I had my first job, the vibe was a bit different. Proceduralists and their staff were treated as if they were in a different caste then the rest of us doctor plebes, and they acted like it too. The caps and shoes in the cafeteria were some sort of status symbol.

That’s good. Certainly where I trained and where I had my first job, the vibe was a bit different. Proceduralists and their staff were treated as if they were in a different caste then the rest of us doctor plebes, and they acted like it too. The caps and shoes in the cafeteria were some sort of status symbol.
There was a very old school (now retired) surgeon where I trained that would do floor rounds in between cases with the full OR gown, boot covers, and whatever y’all call that big cap/paper helmet for people with facial hair.

People called him the “Great Blue Knight” really nice guy but obviously from a different era

Don’t be a d-bag. I don’t look, or act, pretentious in my day to day practice and I don’t like doctors that do. I don’t wear suits. I simply try to look professional. There are many different ways to accomplish this.

I don’t like scrubs. Never have, not even as a resident. Not wearing them is a personal decision, just as much as yours is to wear them. As I said before, I don’t find them comfortable and I *do* think they often look sloppy. (I am apparently not the only healthcare professional who feels this way, judging from this thread.) It’s an opinion, but admittedly not a big deal and not something that’s worth having doctors argue about.

I won't wear scrubs in clinic except the rare occasion I might see someone between two surgeries. I don't usually wear a tie anymore since covid. I never liked wearing them anyways. A nice shirt and slacks is enough for me. I don't wear suits or white coats for that matter either.

Comfort
Less laundry
Comfort
No ironing
Comfort

Comfort
Less laundry
Comfort
No ironing
Comfort
How is it less laundry? Do you not wash them every time you wear them? I wear a comfortable jersey dress…it’s one piece as opposed to 2, and I travel for work… everything I wear doesn’t require an iron.
I can crumple it into a ball and it will be wrinkle free.

How is it less laundry? Do you not wash them every time you wear them? I wear a comfortable jersey dress…it’s one piece as opposed to 2, and I travel for work… everything I wear doesn’t require an iron.
I can crumple it into a ball and it will be wrinkle free.

I have some at home in case of emergencies, but usually just swap out at hospital.

Plus laundering (or dry cleaning) dress shirts, pants and ironing those is way too much of a hassle.

If you are comfortable then that’s good, but I don’t think one should wear certain clothes due to patient preference…

In 13 years, I have yet to have any pt say anything negative, and since Covid its become norm at so many places that I don’t even think those pts that for whatever reasons cared previously, still care

Just came upon this dumpster 🔥 of a thread.

I wear scrubs all day. For rounding, for surgery, for clinic. If they get soiled I change them.

For rounding I am changing dressings, touching all kinds of parts of the human body including sometimes lifting legs to take a closer look at feet, to listen to signals, etc. Sometimes I have to rest the leg on my knee.

My vascular clinic is pretty much the same. Don’t even get me started about wound care clinic.

For surgery, this one is obvious.

My scrubs are neat and clean.

Also generally once I put a scrub cap on it stays on because it looks more professional than scrub hat hair. I have extras in case they get bloody. I never wear a white coat unless I’m giving a talk in the community.

This idea that scrubs need only be worn in the OR shows me that a lot of people aren’t examining their patients like they should. 🤷🏼‍♀️

But I dress differently when I go to interviews or conferences. I don’t wear scrubs on airplanes because even if they are clean it gives the wrong impression for our field. But you can dress professionally without gatekeeping. But it happens and you need to be aware in situations where there is a power differential. Wear the tie; later in life when you’re more in control of your destiny you can ditch it. My residency required I wear a white coat anytime I was out of the OR unless I was performing a bedside procedure/actively resuscitating someone. We were required to dress professionally on Wednesdays for conference. But I can tell you our patient exams suffered while we tried not to soil our slacks and dresses and Blouses and collared shirts and such while rounding before conference. I distinctly remember running to a code in the PACU on a Wednesday morning before I had been able to change for the day and putting in a femoral central line on the floor in the middle of the PACU, thinking it was more difficult because of what I was wearing. My fellowship wanted me to wear a white coat in clinic. Fine. I no longer wear this stuff to work because it doesn’t make sense for the work I do and because I’m in a position of power now. But it’s not something to argue about when you’re on the other end of the differential.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I have some at home in case of emergencies, but usually just swap out at hospital.

Plus laundering (or dry cleaning) dress shirts, pants and ironing those is way too much of a hassle.

If you are comfortable then that’s good, but I don’t think one should wear certain clothes due to patient preference…

In 13 years, I have yet to have any pt say anything negative, and since Covid its become norm at so many places that I don’t even think those pts that for whatever reasons cared previously, still care
Oh agree… I prefer not to wear scrubs…hated them as a med student and never wore as a resident or fellow… they make me look like a round ball… not attractive at all.

Oh agree… I prefer not to wear scrubs…hated them as a med student and never wore as a resident or fellow… they make me look like a round ball… not attractive at all.

That mirror you mentioned.. sounds like you have self-identified the problem.

I hate wearing business clothes. They’re so uncomfortable. I feel choked/restricted by the end of the day and can’t wait to rip them off. Scrubs all the way 🙌🏾

I have bad vision and hence have trouble making out the round ball that I am 😂

• Haha
Getting this thread back on course: overpreparing.

I've noticed this quite a bit this year. People have practiced answering interview questions so much, that when you spit back your memorized answer it's boring and lifeless.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Amongst Residents:
1. Getting too relaxed and breaking character. See gulmour's post above for a good example. Sometimes when people are stressed and they get a very reassuring sign/compliment from the interview, they start breaking character out of joy. No matter how good/reassured your feel, don't say anything too informal. Oftentimes what you're being told is what interviewers tell everyone. Residency interviews have gone virtual and sometimes people feel more secure than they should in the comfort of their own homes and start oversharing. Just go into the whole day with the mentality that you should be making no enforced errors.
2. Some residents like to ask advanced questions or questions they already know the answer to show how smart they are. People subconsciously clue into this and judge the applicant who probably thinks in the moment that they're being super smart.
3. Talking about the same thing over and over again. There was this one girl who decided to simultaneously pick up a sour-dough baking, plant-growing, and a chess-playing hobby in 2020 and wouldn't shut up about them. These three things were really your burning passions before the pandemic weren't they?

With Program Leadership/During Interviews
1. Just avoid politics and religion. You never know what someone believes. I lean left myself but you sometimes won't believe how many times interviewees think it's OK to openly mock the former president. Just because Trevor Noah does it doesn't mean you can too. Same goes for patient's in the hospital.
2. Giving me a significant/bad weakness during the "what are your weaknesses" question. Some people have openly volunteered that they have been given feedback that they're "inefficient" and "lack organization" despite it not showing up on their dean's letter. You know I am writing that *$^& down right? I let it slide, but I imagine program leadership would probe deeper or ask for an example. Why are you giving them fuel?
3. Just keep in mind one poorly timed phrase can really hurt. One time I had someone say in a group interview that "I suppose that's why I bothered to drive over here" after an otherwise pretty decent answer...I'm like dude, why...Think before making an exclamation and don't try unplanned jokes.
4. If you really are stumped by a question, you do have a few seconds to look down and think, another few to say something to buy time, and maybe even another few to start to answer in a round about way, but then you do have to collect yourself and provide some sort of answer. We often ask people the same questions so if you're not able even generate a response to a question that most other interviewers fielded well, that's a bit of a knock. If you have to, give a half-baked/short answer and let the interviewer follow-up and then maybe you'll get an idea and can expand and all is well.
5. Asking the interviewer personal questions. In a group interview with the chief resident, one Filipino guy asked Filipina girl (chief) if she was in a relationship. To be fair to him, I think he was planning on going somewhere with it (i.e. do you have enough time to see your partner, etc.). He seemed to be doing well up until that point, but at that point, I could tell one of our associate PDs took offense by her body language. Just play it safe! No need to ask these questions.
6. Rehearsing your interview answers. Personally I can be a bit harsh and I see this as a sign of lack of creativity/ability to think on your feet which makes me wonder how the person will react when something unexpected is thrown at them. I think everyone can see if answers are rehearsed though and it can come off as boring. It's not the biggest mistake that you can make but some may judge or think you're compensating for poor communication skills. No need to prep extensively by writing out and reading answers. Instead, identify what the 20 most likely questions you'll be asked are and brainstorm what you want to talk about when these are asked with bullet points so you don't pull a #4. Do this before your interviews once or twice and that should be sufficient.
7. Not addressing your application's gaps on your terms. When the interviewer asks you to tell them about yourself, this is where you tell them why you're reapplying to residency or took a 2 year gap, not the time to spend 10 minutes telling them how your parents met.
8. Make eye contact to avoid rambling or going on random tangents. Sometimes applicants I feel mistake the interviewees interest in a topic and keep rambling about their hobby. Make sure you're making good eye contact with your interviewer to understand when they're bored. I remember one guy talking about League of Legends (which is fine!) but he spent 15 minutes talking about it when we had a few more scripted questions to ask him and time ran out. He matched with us, but like still...
9. Badmouthing any entity whether that be a former teachers/colleagues, your school/curriculum, or other institutions. First of all, you don't know who's from where. Second of all, negativity isn't well received and people begin to wonder if you bad mouth others behind their backs, when will you badmouth us if you match.
10. To end on a light-hearted note, this usually isn't a problem and I get that many are hungry but time your bites during sessions with food. When we're going around in a zoom circle, don't take a large bite of your catered sandwich when you're up next. This isn't a huge gaffe or a big deal but just something to watch out for.

Last edited:
One candidate had an open collared shirt, no tie and no jacket.

One candidate mentioned they had a family member who was an attending in specialty we were interviewing for and relayed that their family member was complaining about the specialty. Also made a comment about having to pay extra $$$ to submit their ROL, and was making faces and swiveling in their chair.

Interviewing is like dating, it shows you something.. but you just have no idea until you're married what you're really getting into.

It may look good.. then turn out otherwise. And vice versa. We're all kidding ourselves thinking interviews matter so much. The worst liars are the best interviewers and are often charming conversationalists (sociopaths).

Some try to spot them during the dance by cranking up the measurements contest.. and if you're lucky, they reveal themselves..

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Lol wut. That's like going on a date with someone, them asking what you find attractive in them and you saying "IT'S A NUMBERS GAME".

It's not supposed to make you feel awkward, it's to ensure you've put a modicum of thought into it and give you the opportunity to demonstrate it.

I personally don't like the question because some people will have more genuine answers than others and you can't change that. In bigger specialties, it is absolutely a numbers game and asking this while simultaneously conducting Zoom interviews is a bit disingenuous. To those who get this question and find themselves struggling, just highlight that the program stood out and give some verbatim things they have themselves highlighted and mention how you felt the location is great and the residents seem very collegial and down to earth and that you would love to spend the next few years in the program.

If selection is based on one's interest in the program, that should be coordinated with signaling and everyone should have that opportunity prior to interview day. Now if you listed that XYZ program was a top priority for you and XYZ program was luke warm but interested that you prioritized them, then you definitely need to hit that interview question out of the park.