Happy Memorial Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PACtoDOC

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would have posted this on a portion of the forum that gets more traffic but I decided against it. I have really come to like the people in the FP section here, and I did not want to chance some of the flame throwing over something so simple. I just wanted to say that I hope each of you has a great Memorial Day, but I would ask that you please take a few moments of your day to reflect on what makes this country so great. I learned very early what it meant to sacrifice for one's country. Hec, I was a combat veteran before I was old enough to drink, by 2 years! But when I came back I found that I was very bitter toward those that talked against our efforts, even though in the Gulf War those people were few and far between. But what I have come to realize over the decade since this war is that the main reason we defend freedom is so that people can continue to have their opinions and express them freely. Now being a bit older, I understand that it is important to question authority and to expect accountability on the part of our leaders. And I feel proud now when I hear free expression because I know that I played a tiny role in keeping that priviledge for everyone. I have no problem saying that I supported the Gulf War and its mission, but I also have no problem saying that I disagree with our mission in Iraq and have since its inception. But today, I will not be thinking about the mission or whether or not it is valid. Instead I will be thinking of my brothers and sisters who are in dangerous places all around the world, and about the people who never made it home defending our country. We owe it to these people to think about them today and to send them our prayers. God bless the grunts!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely. God bless and God speed to the men and women overseas.

PACtoDOC said:
I would have posted this on a portion of the forum that gets more traffic but I decided against it. I have really come to like the people in the FP section here, and I did not want to chance some of the flame throwing over something so simple. I just wanted to say that I hope each of you has a great Memorial Day, but I would ask that you please take a few moments of your day to reflect on what makes this country so great. I learned very early what it meant to sacrifice for one's country. Hec, I was a combat veteran before I was old enough to drink, by 2 years! But when I came back I found that I was very bitter toward those that talked against our efforts, even though in the Gulf War those people were few and far between. But what I have come to realize over the decade since this war is that the main reason we defend freedom is so that people can continue to have their opinions and express them freely. Now being a bit older, I understand that it is important to question authority and to expect accountability on the part of our leaders. And I feel proud now when I hear free expression because I know that I played a tiny role in keeping that priviledge for everyone. I have no problem saying that I supported the Gulf War and its mission, but I also have no problem saying that I disagree with our mission in Iraq and have since its inception. But today, I will not be thinking about the mission or whether or not it is valid. Instead I will be thinking of my brothers and sisters who are in dangerous places all around the world, and about the people who never made it home defending our country. We owe it to these people to think about them today and to send them our prayers. God bless the grunts!
Nice post. It's ashame that you can't post this in a "higher traffic" area, but I completely understand and agree with your reasoning