Happy pharmacists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

july

I hear a lot about disgruntled pharmacists and am wondering where the happy ones are. Are you one or do you know one? What kind of setting do you work in and how long have you been in pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad.

I would agree. I work at wal-mart pharmacy and the pharmacists aren't happy at all. The only one I met that was actually happy worked for a hospital and had little to none patient interactions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously you haven't met me.

I hear a lot about disgruntled pharmacists and am wondering where the happy ones are. Are you one or do you know one? What kind of setting do you work in and how long have you been in pharmacy?

I've worked with a pharmacist in a chain pharmacy as a student. He's been in the profession for about 20 years. The last time I was with him, I watched him and the tech look up the record of a patient who he hadn't seen in a while. He shook his head when it was fairly obvious that the patient was dead (based on refill history and disease state).

He doesn't idealize his job and describes his patient population as "interesting". But I think he's pretty happy. He does his work with lots of joking, interacts well with patients and grumbles periodically about odd stuff. He treats his techs and interns as colleagues. So I don't think "happy" and "pharmacist" are necessarily oxymorons. :)

Money is not everything, its the only thing.

I have been in pharmacy for four yrs and I am a 6 on a scale of 1-10. I am mostly hospital and believe me it has its own draw backs. But looking at the medical school forum I think I made a good choice. 110K for 60-70hr work week. Suckssssssssss. I can do that in 40 plus I dont have look in anyones mouth or get to intimate with anyone. I dont like working on weekends though:laugh:

I will have been out of school 30 years this June - yeah,yeah, yeah - I could be your mom:eek:

But - I'm happy - very, very happy & this profession has been one of the big things that has made my life happy......(now.....if only MSIII could like pharmacology - how could she not have gotten that in the genetic material:confused: ?????? - just j/king - she is much smarter than either her dad or me.....)

But - happiness is a choice - you can be happy or not - its always a choice.

Good luck & good life!

I have been in pharmacy for four yrs and I am a 6 on a scale of 1-10. I am mostly hospital and believe me it has its own draw backs. But looking at the medical school forum I think I made a good choice. 110K for 60-70hr work week. Suckssssssssss. I can do that in 40 plus I dont have look in anyones mouth or get to intimate with anyone. I dont like working on weekends though:laugh:

What kind of physicians make 110K a year? :eek: I refuse to believe it.

I know plenty of happy pharmacists! Some in retail, some in hospital. I really think it's just like any other job when it comes to some people liking what they do and others not. For that matter, some people are just unhappy by nature and would be unhappy no matter their profession.

Sdn - what kind of setting do you work in?

PharmD23 - what are the drawbacks of hospital?

I'm part-time in both hospital & retail environments, but I've done lots & lots of types of pharmacy over the years.