1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Happy with a 10+ on the MCAT!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SailCrazy, Apr 14, 2004.

1. SailCrazy

SailCrazy I gotta have more cowbell
    10+ Year Member

I mentined this is the "How many premeds are SDN users" thread, but realized that it would likely be more widely appreciated.

During a study session today that had transitioned into an MCAT discussion, a guy in my class (to whom I'd previously recommended SDN as a good resource) proudly announced that he wasn't worried about he MCAT because you "only need to score double digits to get into an average med school." (Yes, he really meant 10+)

I assumed he was kidding and had a god laugh. When I realized that he wasn't joking - and let him know what a more realistic score was - he about crapped himself! :eek:

Fortunately for him he isn't taking the MCAT this year, but I think his planned study time just went way up! :laugh:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. liverotcod

liverotcod Lieutenant Crunch
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Weird... Maybe he meant 10 per section for a 30 total? I assume you asked that, though. I guess I wouldn't worry about it either if I were shooting for, say, 14 overall.

4. Fumoffu

Fumoffu Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

He MUST have meant double digits for each section.

Even if you get a 4 on eact section, you get double digits for the entire MCAT! :D

5. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yes, it generally makes me laugh a little when someone says something about how they'll just study real hard and get a 35+....If only it were that easy :laugh:

6. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Ha yeah, I studied my ass off with the intention of getting a 31-32 (per my practice tests) and only pulled a 28.

It will be a humbling experience for those people who are like, man, I have a 3.75 gpa, I'm sure I can get a 34.

Adrian

7. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    i hope me meant per section, or maybe someone told him "you only need a 10" and he though that meant the total score.

8. felipe5

felipe5 Fingerpickin' Good
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yeah, I met this chick at a bar a few months ago who told me she was pre-med and looking into a bunch of top-10 schools (supposedly THEY had sought her out by sending her letters b/c of her amazing MCAT score). I kinda grew a bit suspicious about what she was telling me, but was delighted to chat with her b/c she was pretty good looking. So, to investigate a little more, I shifted the discussion to the MCAT, and she happily boasted that she got a 10 on it. I asked her if she got a 10 total, or a 10 on each section, and she was like "uhhhh, oh yeah, on each section." By then, I had a feeling that I was in the middle of catching her in a lie, so I went in for the kill. "What did you get on the written section?" I asked, completely inthralled in what she had to say "Oh, I got a 10 on that too!" she replied. !!!!!!!!BUSTED!!!!!!!!! It was funny that this chick was lying, but it also gave my ego a few "karma points" since this chick was trying to impress me with her pre-med prowess.

Despite her cuteness, I never called her......I didn't feel intrigued by her, only slightly attracted. I wonder how her applications to those top 10's ended up fairing in the long run???? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

9. indianboy

indianboy Call me, Baby.
    7+ Year Member

Dear Cassinova,
    Please give the rest of us some tips on how to come up with such titillating conversation topics. How did you react once she swooned?

Hope that Helps.

P 'Mental Blue Balls' ShankOut

10. SailCrazy

SailCrazy I gotta have more cowbell
    10+ Year Member

Unfortunately for him, he actually meant 10+ on the whole thing!

Who knows where he heard it. (Misunderstanding 10 per section is the best guess I've heard...)

I'm still chuckling over it...! :D

11. indo

indo Feed me a stray cat
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Last august some poor soul scored 6 total. I have a feeling they left early though.

12. I remember someone in my Kaplan class freaking out when it was announced (or, more accurately, when everyone was reminded) that calculators weren't allowed. :)

13. Samus Aran

Physician Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    :laugh:
    classic!

14. Catalyst

Catalyst Enjoying Life
    10+ Year Member

hilarious. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

15. Ischemia

Ischemia Member
    10+ Year Member

Hahaha...that's really funny

I don't post often to tout another SDN member, but this guy is hilarious. I've been enjoying his work for quite some time now. It seems that every post of his is better than the last. Cassinova, LOL

16. mackaikai

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    this thread made my day

17. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

I guess the old program formulas into your calculator trick won't work for them eh?

18. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Has to be one...

19. EXACTLY! I think he was freaking out more because he couldn't program stuff into his TI-85, rather than not being able to use it for math calculations. :)

20. BerkeleyPremed

BerkeleyPremed Membership Revoked
    Removed

That is one deluded young man. I almost feel sorry for him in a way. Regardless, if that guy came into SDN and stated that, "All you need is a double digit score to get into an average med school"...he would've gotten a cyber bitchslap. So I'm glad that you saved him the humiliation by telling him this information beforehand.

21. Burris

Burris Member
    7+ Year Member

The same thing happened at a dinner that we had with some adcoms at my state school. The kid was a freshman and thought he could get into Harvard with a twelve on the MCAT. I think people who don't have a clue look at US News rankings where MCAT averages are given as averages per section. He couldn't wait to rock the MCAT and get a 13. :)