Harbor-UCLA TY Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derm87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It has been a few years since there has been a thread on this program, and since most people don't even actually go to the "interview", I was wondering if anyone who has been an intern there recently could comment on how you liked it/if you would rank it highly again.

Members don't see this ad.

Harbor-UCLA TY is pretty chill. Probably not the most cush program out there but it's pretty cush and the location is amazing too. I chose it mainly cause of the location. The PD and the TY staff are great.

In terms of rotations, you do like 5 hard months (3 surgeries, 1 medicine, 1 ICU), and 7 easy rotations including essentially 2 vacation months (1 actual vacation month and 1 radiology/research where you don't have to show up for the whole month). For example, the easy rotations I'm doing this year are anesthesiology (intubate and leave), derm (4 half-days/week with 3 day weekend every week), outpatient clinic (4 days/week), ER (6 days on, 3 days off, 8 hr shift). There are only 3 true hard rotations that you have to do (medicine, trauma, ICU), but you also learn a lot during those rotations.

And the location is really close to the beach. A lot of the interns/residents live next to the beach (~10-20 min to hospital depending on traffic). I know 1 intern who literally live next to the beach, the view from the bedroom is the ocean. You also have annual retreat in vegas where everyone from your class go to vegas (hotels and meals paid for). Overall, I really enjoyed my intern year here..it's a good mix between easy and hard rotations so you never get burned out. I'm actually kinda sad that intern year is nearing the end. Harbor was my #1 and I would rank it high again.

Reactions: 1 user
Harbor-UCLA TY is pretty chill. Probably not the most cush program out there but it's pretty cush and the location is amazing too. I chose it mainly cause of the location. The PD and the TY staff are great.

In terms of rotations, you do like 5 hard months (3 surgeries, 1 medicine, 1 ICU), and 7 easy rotations including essentially 2 vacation months (1 actual vacation month and 1 radiology/research where you don't have to show up for the whole month). For example, the easy rotations I'm doing this year are anesthesiology (intubate and leave), derm (4 half-days/week with 3 day weekend every week), outpatient clinic (4 days/week), ER (6 days on, 3 days off, 8 hr shift). There are only 3 true hard rotations that you have to do (medicine, trauma, ICU), but you also learn a lot during those rotations.

And the location is really close to the beach. A lot of the interns/residents live next to the beach (~10-20 min to hospital depending on traffic). I know 1 intern who literally live next to the beach, the view from the bedroom is the ocean. You also have annual retreat in vegas where everyone from your class go to vegas (hotels and meals paid for). Overall, I really enjoyed my intern year here..it's a good mix between easy and hard rotations so you never get burned out. I'm actually kinda sad that intern year is nearing the end. Harbor was my #1 and I would rank it high again.

I was told this upcoming year is the last year for the Harbor TY, and that they may possibly be cracking down and making it harder for this final year (don't know what the motivation behind this would be). Is any of this true? I can't imagine the program being that much tougher even if all this is true, but just thought I'd check. Mind you, I got this info from a UCLA med student, not from a Harbor intern/resident, so it may be completely hearsay.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks that is extremely helpful!

I was told this upcoming year is the last year for the Harbor TY, and that they may possibly be cracking down and making it harder for this final year (don't know what the motivation behind this would be). Is any of this true? I can't imagine the program being that much tougher even if all this is true, but just thought I'd check. Mind you, I got this info from a UCLA med student, not from a Harbor intern/resident, so it may be completely hearsay.

any truth to this being the TYs last year?

Last edited: