Hard and easy programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starbuckscoffee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is a question I always wondered at interviews but didn't want to ask since I don't want it to come off the wrong way...

What are the hours like at specific programs?

Does anyone know of any particular programs that have a reputation for having very long or very short hours? Not that this would be my deciding factor, but it would be good to have that info to help me decide between some of the programs at the middle of my rank list. I'm sure others would find this helpful too.

The places that I have heard have long hours are Johns Hopkins (7a-7p most days) and Harvard (do consults after clinic). I haven't heard of any programs that have particularly short hours.

Members don't see this ad.

New Jersey Medical school in Newark seemed to have pretty easy hours (like finishing after morning clinic a lot). I had a hard time getting a feel for the program though since the interview day was a bit chaotic.

I would venture to say that even if you were at the "hardest" derm program in the country, you wouldn't have alot of room to complain. Even if you are doing consults after clinic, your weekends are gonna be wide open and you are only on consults a few months of the year. I would be more than happy to match at the hardest derm program in the country on March 18. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would venture to say that even if you were at the "hardest" derm program in the country, you wouldn't have alot of room to complain. Even if you are doing consults after clinic, your weekends are gonna be wide open and you are only on consults a few months of the year. I would be more than happy to match at the hardest derm program in the country on March 18. :thumbup:

True, even at the "hardest" program in the country, you'll be hardpressed to find a sympathetic person to complain to :p

I don't know.... if your schedule really was 700-1900 that would be 60 hours a week and if you were at a hardcore program legitimately requiring 10-15 hours of reading/research time a week that would be 70-75 hours, which isn't exactly cake. (of note, this is NOT my program)......

I would say average for most programs I've seen would be starting at 730/800 and finishing around 430/500 most days with some programs giving you afternoons/mornings off a few times a month to do reading/work on projects.

The places that I have heard have long hours are Johns Hopkins (7a-7p most days) and Harvard (do consults after clinic). I haven't heard of any programs that have particularly short hours.

where did u hear that Hopkins has 12hr days? i have never heard that before.

No one is going to be sympathetic but at some programs taking derm call isn't trivial. So you can't assume your weekends are "wide open." Of course, good hospital consults are often the time you learn the most so it's a mixed bag. Theres a reason most of the longest hour programs are the best in the country.

No one is going to be sympathetic but at some programs taking derm call isn't trivial. So you can't assume your weekends are "wide open." Of course, good hospital consults are often the time you learn the most so it's a mixed bag. Theres a reason most of the longest hour programs are the best in the country.

True but I don't expect them to be as bad as internship year weekends.

Did I just jinx my upcoming black weekend? Yeah, I think I just did. :p

Dont get me wrong, I realize every weekend isn't "wide open" as I said in a previous post. But really, how many weekends do you take call? Some programs only have call one year out of three. Even at a small program with only 6 residents, if you rotated call all three years then you would work one weekend in six. I'm not trying to be naive about the call or call it trivial, but it is much better than having to go in on weekends to round or see patients when not on call like other medicine specialties. You definitely dont' have to defend yourself to me.

(23 days):xf:

Just to be clear, in my original post I wasn't complaining about the hours at the harder programs or saying that I wouldn't be happy to match to one of these programs. I was just saying that there is variance from program to program regarding the hours spent in clinic and that this information might be helpful to those of us trying to compare and rank schools.

Anyway, good luck to everyone!!!

Dont get me wrong, I realize every weekend isn't "wide open" as I said in a previous post. But really, how many weekends do you take call? Some programs only have call one year out of three. Even at a small program with only 6 residents, if you rotated call all three years then you would work one weekend in six. I'm not trying to be naive about the call or call it trivial, but it is much better than having to go in on weekends to round or see patients when not on call like other medicine specialties. You definitely dont' have to defend yourself to me.

(23 days):xf:

yes he does! yes he does! do not back down now! you have him where you want him. ease up now, and all will be lost. pursue this like it's a luscious gazelle and you're the leader of a starving clan of elegant lions and lionesses. find the strength. make him pay. feed your family with his carcase.

yes he does! yes he does! do not back down now! you have him where you want him. ease up now, and all will be lost. pursue this like it's a luscious gazelle and you're the leader of a starving clan of elegant lions and lionesses. find the strength. make him pay. feed your family with his carcase.

sore eye asses....there will never be a boring day at the program where you match

i actually laughed out loud :laugh: