nvshelat

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
969
7
Status
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's harder to get into a medical school on reapp? Someone told me that its more difficult because you already have one strike against you since they've already seen your application; I haven't applied yet, but I'm anticipating being rejected because of my very low sci gpa. I was thus considering post-bac-ing for a year to try to boost it to around a 3.3 and try applying again, but if it is true that it's harder 2nd time around, should I just wait until after some post bac courses to apply?

Thanks.
 

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
30,981
9,891
Status
Attending Physician
nvshelat said:
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's harder to get into a medical school on reapp? Someone told me that its more difficult because you already have one strike against you since they've already seen your application; I haven't applied yet, but I'm anticipating being rejected because of my very low sci gpa. I was thus considering post-bac-ing for a year to try to boost it to around a 3.3 and try applying again, but if it is true that it's harder 2nd time around, should I just wait until after some post bac courses to apply?

Thanks.
I was told by an adcom member that it's best to have your stuff in order before you apply the first time, as being a reapplicant is always going to be harder. Thus I would not apply the first time until after you do the postbac, get a decent MCAT, etc.
 

fahimaz7

15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
3,287
221
Colorado
Status
Attending Physician
I've heard the complete opposite. At any school, the avg incoming class is composed of atleast 20% reapplicants. Here in GA, some of the classes are sitting 60+/180 students a year that are reapplicants.

Scott
 

Ol'DocToxic

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2004
57
0
Status
Law2Doc said:
I was told by an adcom member that it's best to have your stuff in order before you apply the first time, as being a reapplicant is always going to be harder.
Just curious if you know if that is on a per school basis. In other words, if you apply to med school again next cycle, but to a completely new set of schools, are you in effect a first time applicant?
 

2tall

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2004
1,952
5
USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Visit site
Status
I DON'T LIKE THE FACT THAT YOU'RE ANTICIPATING REJECTION! What does that mean? Does that mean you're going to improve yourself before you apply OR that you'll apply, but expect to be rejected? You should definitely be confident when you apply.

>>Toxic...some schools have a question on their secondaries regarding previous applications. I don't think there's a question on AMCAS concerning this. In some cases, they may not be aware that you're a reapplicant.

Back on topic...More difficult the second time around? As with every question...it depends. I know some reapplicants who've only applied earlier (same personal statement/same application/same school) and have been successful. I'm sure it depends on the school. Some schools separate their reapplicants from their general applicant pool. In general, the answer to your question is no, since most reapplicants improve their application in some manner.

Most reapplicants seek to improve their application so they don't have to go through this draining process again. nvshelat, if you're going to apply with your current stats...APPLY EARLY. Know that you're more than your GPA lends. Keep the faith.

You already know your weakness, and you know how you can improve it. Make sure you're strong in every area...clinical exp...volunteering...community service...hobbies.
 

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
30,981
9,891
Status
Attending Physician
2tall said:
I DON'T LIKE THE FACT THAT YOU'RE ANTICIPATING REJECTION! What does that mean? Does that mean you're going to improve yourself before you apply OR that you'll apply, but expect to be rejected? You should definitely be confident when you apply.
Well, assuming that the OP is realistic in his assumption that he would be rejected if he applied as is, he really shouldn't apply yet. (We have to take his word for it -- he has provided no specifics other than that his GPA is lower than 3.3). He should fix his app to the best of his abilities with the postbac, and score well on the MCAT before he takes his shot.
Toxic: I believe the adcom person who was advising me was talking about reapplying to the same school (namely his), not a different set. But he had a fairly dim view of reapplicant chances (at least at his place) -- people on this board seem to fair better elsewhere...
 
OP
N

nvshelat

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
969
7
Status
Law2Doc said:
Well, assuming that the OP is realistic in his assumption that he would be rejected if he applied as is, he really shouldn't apply yet. (We have to take his word for it -- he has provided no specifics other than that his GPA is lower than 3.3). He should fix his app to the best of his abilities with the postbac, and score well on the MCAT before he takes his shot.
Toxic: I believe the adcom person who was advising me was talking about reapplying to the same school (namely his), not a different set. But he had a fairly dim view of reapplicant chances (at least at his place) -- people on this board seem to fair better elsewhere...
Thanks for the replies guys. I shouldn't sell myself short before I've even taken the MCATs. But Law2Doc, you're right in that I should supply more info on my overall app b4 just assuming I won't get in. I feel my application is strong outside of the science GPA, which will be about 2.8. I'm on the verge of 2 or 3 publications, one of which is a short book, related to health care. I'm also graduating with an undergrad business degree from one of the top business schools in the country - I was originally a business major, then decided my junior year (last yr) that I'd follow my passion into medicine, but didn't have the time/requirements to do a bio major. While in college, I worked several jobs, including being on the board of directors of a private financial institution, through which I set up a financial literacy program for the University after authoring/receiving a $5k grant thru the Pennsylvania Credit Union Foundation. Lastly, I was a guest speaker at an undergraduate research conference where I spoke about the impact of patent regulation on India's pharma industry. And I've shadowed/volunteered at the ER.
So far, I'm doing well on my diags - 32 and 33, respectively, so perhaps that will give an indication of how I'll do this April. But problem is, of course, I spent too much time on things not related to academics (a lot of which was working bc I needed the money) and so my GPA suffered, which is why I have little confidence in getting in Fall 06. So then the question is, given all this, should I hold off and boost the Sci gpa and apply the first time in Fall 07, or give it a go for Fall 06 and if I don't get in, try try again for 07?
 

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
30,981
9,891
Status
Attending Physician
nvshelat said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I shouldn't sell myself short before I've even taken the MCATs. But Law2Doc, you're right in that I should supply more info on my overall app b4 just assuming I won't get in. I feel my application is strong outside of the science GPA, which will be about 2.8. I'm on the verge of 2 or 3 publications, one of which is a short book, related to health care. I'm also graduating with an undergrad business degree from one of the top business schools in the country - I was originally a business major, then decided my junior year (last yr) that I'd follow my passion into medicine, but didn't have the time/requirements to do a bio major. While in college, I worked several jobs, including being on the board of directors of a private financial institution, through which I set up a financial literacy program for the University after authoring/receiving a $5k grant thru the Pennsylvania Credit Union Foundation. Lastly, I was a guest speaker at an undergraduate research conference where I spoke about the impact of patent regulation on India's pharma industry. And I've shadowed/volunteered at the ER.
So far, I'm doing well on my diags - 32 and 33, respectively, so perhaps that will give an indication of how I'll do this April. But problem is, of course, I spent too much time on things not related to academics (a lot of which was working bc I needed the money) and so my GPA suffered, which is why I have little confidence in getting in Fall 06. So then the question is, given all this, should I hold off and boost the Sci gpa and apply the first time in Fall 07, or give it a go for Fall 06 and if I don't get in, try try again for 07?
I personally would do a postbac or take/retake a handful of science classes for a year and bring up the science grades before applying anywhere if you want to get into an allopathic med school. If you can truly pull your BCPM up to a 3.3 and score a 32 on the MCAT you ought to get some interviews. I would only risk applying in '06 with the low GPA if you score crazy high (35+) on the MCAT in April (sounds like you are ready to take it). Others here will probably disagree with me.
 

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
1,563
5
37
Visit site
Status
nvshelat said:
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's harder to get into a medical school on reapp? Someone told me that its more difficult because you already have one strike against you since they've already seen your application; I haven't applied yet, but I'm anticipating being rejected because of my very low sci gpa. I was thus considering post-bac-ing for a year to try to boost it to around a 3.3 and try applying again, but if it is true that it's harder 2nd time around, should I just wait until after some post bac courses to apply?

Thanks.
I definately don't think it's harder. You might have to make an extra effort to have another personal statement or have another LOR. but I definately know the schools really like proven interest in the school. There's a lot of great advice by Law2Doc and 2Tall. Applying early is probably the best advice for people applying again and people on the borderline. I applied again and this time around, I'm in. I love visiting the re-app forum because I feel at home :)
 
OP
N

nvshelat

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
969
7
Status
Law2Doc said:
Well, assuming that the OP is realistic in his assumption that he would be rejected if he applied as is, he really shouldn't apply yet. (We have to take his word for it -- he has provided no specifics other than that his GPA is lower than 3.3). He should fix his app to the best of his abilities with the postbac, and score well on the MCAT before he takes his shot.
Toxic: I believe the adcom person who was advising me was talking about reapplying to the same school (namely his), not a different set. But he had a fairly dim view of reapplicant chances (at least at his place) -- people on this board seem to fair better elsewhere...
Tx for all the advice. I'll take it into consideration, and I suppose there is no sense in sweating this before I take the MCAT. Once I do that, I'll get a better idea of how reasonable it is to apply for 06.
Thanks =)
 

AnotherDork

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2004
215
0
40
Massachusetts
Status
Resident [Any Field]
nvshelat said:
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's harder to get into a medical school on reapp? Someone told me that its more difficult because you already have one strike against you since they've already seen your application; I haven't applied yet, but I'm anticipating being rejected because of my very low sci gpa. I was thus considering post-bac-ing for a year to try to boost it to around a 3.3 and try applying again, but if it is true that it's harder 2nd time around, should I just wait until after some post bac courses to apply?

Thanks.
I was in exactly your situation- exact same grades and MCAT, good extras. Didn't get in the first time around, but did the BU MAMS program and I've gotten several interviews and a few acceptances so far. So if I were you, I wouldn't apply this year- but not because reapplicants are at a disadvantage, only because it will save you a lot of aggravation. As long as a reapplicant has done something to strengthen the weak areas of the app, I think he's in the same boat as everyone else.

Virilep- what's UPPPP?????!
 

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
1,017
0
Visit site
Status
I might be wrong, but I do not know anyone who did worst the second time applying. And believe me, I know many many reapplicants.

I used my reapplicant status as a strength to show medical schools my dedication and perseverance for a medical career. I ended up with 13 interviews and 4 acceptance (so far). Several schools actually told me at the interview that they admire my perserverance, and that it is one of the biggest strength I have over other applicants.

You never know what you can accomplish unless you try. how much is one year of your life worth to you? do you think it's worth the try? I think so. I'd say go ahead and see if you can get in this year. If you don't get in, go for a post bac program and try again.

unless you are a reapplicant and have done worst the second time around after you improved your application, do not attack my post. :thumbup:
 

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2004
7,250
4
Status
nvshelat said:
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's harder to get into a medical school on reapp? Someone told me that its more difficult because you already have one strike against you since they've already seen your application; I haven't applied yet, but I'm anticipating being rejected because of my very low sci gpa. I was thus considering post-bac-ing for a year to try to boost it to around a 3.3 and try applying again, but if it is true that it's harder 2nd time around, should I just wait until after some post bac courses to apply?

Thanks.
I found it easier. I knew what to expect for interviews, knew where my app weaknesses were, and was able to work on that a little before reapplying.
 

gbiz

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
370
0
MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It does depends on the school. I know there is one, i forget which maybe tulane, that wont even consider re-applicants. There are others that look at what youve done to improve yourself and take that into account, so it could be a positive thing. So, it depends on the school ;)
 

peptidoglycan

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2003
200
0
Nashville, TN
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
gbiz said:
It does depends on the school. I know there is one, i forget which maybe tulane, that wont even consider re-applicants. There are others that look at what youve done to improve yourself and take that into account, so it could be a positive thing. So, it depends on the school ;)

just to squelch this awful rumor before it gets too far, Tulane is NOT the school you are thinking of. Tulane does indeed consider re-apps.
 

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2004
7,250
4
Status
gbiz said:
It does depends on the school. I know there is one, i forget which maybe tulane, that wont even consider re-applicants. There are others that look at what youve done to improve yourself and take that into account, so it could be a positive thing. So, it depends on the school ;)
I really don't think it is true-please show some proof.
 

fotolilith

It's for a good cause
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
1,012
1
Mittelschmerz, USA
Status
Nope, med schools want people who will "stick with" all the torture (and not give up after one year of reections). Additionally, I know a lot of re-applicants who got in this year.
:luck: