Harder to maintain a relationship during rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pianola

MS2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you make time for your significant other during rotations?

I'm kind of worried cause I only get to see my boyfriend on weekends right now and it sounds like for rotations I won't even get my weekends...He lives about 50 minutes away and has a full-time job, so seeing each other during the week isn't really an option (he gets off work around 6pm). We've been together about 2 years.

Just wondering if any of you have suggestions or reflections.

Members don't see this ad.

How do you make time for your significant other during rotations?

I'm kind of worried cause I only get to see my boyfriend on weekends right now and it sounds like for rotations I won't even get my weekends...He lives about 50 minutes away and has a full-time job, so seeing each other during the week isn't really an option (he gets off work around 6pm). We've been together about 2 years.

Just wondering if any of you have suggestions or reflections.

Your rotation schedule will likely have a great deal of variability to it depending on how the residents are scheduled and how your school uses students. The best way to get a sense for your schedule would be to talk to classmates who are ahead of you and find out what rotations require weekends and how often. Inpatient rotations may vary between a half day to a full day on one of the weekend days. On outpatient rotations (e.g. Family Med, any outpatient components of medicine, peds) you'll likely have weekends totally free. We also had weekends off during subspecialty weeks during peds and surgery and had most weekends off during OBGYN. But every school uses their students differently, so your classmates will have the best idea. 50 miles isn't too bad of a drive, just make sure you take care of your assignments and studying during the week so your weekends are free. Plenty of people make relationships work during the clinical years if they can maintain good time management.

The biggest difference between clinical and preclinical years is the lack of flexibility. That, and earlier mornings. I don't know that my total time commitment has been that much higher this year (my 3rd) than last year. On easy rotations, it's significantly less.

Honestly, I've found the time requirements of rotations to be over dramatized. You'll have at least one day off pretty much every week on every rotation. Often the one weekend day you do come in will only be a few hours in the morning. The big key is good time management--try and get your studying done while you're in the hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
The biggest difference between clinical and preclinical years is the lack of flexibility. That, and earlier mornings. I don't know that my total time commitment has been that much higher this year (my 3rd) than last year. On easy rotations, it's significantly less.

Honestly, I've found the time requirements of rotations to be over dramatized. You'll have at least one day off pretty much every week on every rotation. Often the one weekend day you do come in will only be a few hours in the morning. The big key is good time management--try and get your studying done while you're in the hospital.

I'm really glad to hear that. I guess I'll just have to see what my school is like in 3rd year, as nogolfinsnow pointed out.

I'm really glad to hear that. I guess I'll just have to see what my school is like in 3rd year, as nogolfinsnow pointed out.

Also ask where your school sends students out on rotations. They may have a site nearer to where your boyfriend lives. My school offered sites in various parts of the state.

Also ask where your school sends students out on rotations. They may have a site nearer to where your boyfriend lives. My school offered sites in various parts of the state.

Thank you for the suggestion!

I know there's a small community clinic close to where Sean lives. Maybe it will be an option for a rotation...

Definitely possible to maintain a relationship during rotation. I know as I was the "Sean" in your example. :D

Like the above poster stated, check to see if you can do a "rural" rotation at a clinic near where your boyfriend lives. 4th year is even better; my g/f has been able to do two away rotations at a medical school right by my house.

We live a little farther apart than 90 miles; but there was only one rotation where I didn't get to see her for the entire 6 weeks: Surgery. I believe she was clocking close to 95 hour work weeks and it was Q4 since her schedule was soo sporatic there was no time in during that rotation to visit me nor me visit her. Someone else said this but, rotations seemto be school dependent as my friend at a local med school said he rarely did call during his surgery rotation.

Good luck you can do it :luck:

Definitely possible to maintain a relationship during rotation. I know as I was the "Sean" in your example. :D

Like the above poster stated, check to see if you can do a "rural" rotation at a clinic near where your boyfriend lives. 4th year is even better; my g/f has been able to do two away rotations at a medical school right by my house.

We live a little farther apart than 90 miles; but there was only one rotation where I didn't get to see her for the entire 6 weeks: Surgery. I believe she was clocking close to 95 hour work weeks and it was Q4 since her schedule was soo sporatic there was no time in during that rotation to visit me nor me visit her. Someone else said this but, rotations seem to be school dependent as my friend at a local med school said he rarely did call during his surgery rotation.

Good luck you can do it :luck:

Thanks for posting, Mac :) I've heard surgery is pretty brutal at my school - definitely gonna be stuck doing weekends. But I'm glad to know that it can be done! We'll see what happens!