Hardest class you took

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Columbia09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For me, I guess it was general biology lab one. I got a B- in it, lowest grade to date, and it was primarily because the lady teaching it graded our lab reports like we were thesis writers. The majority of us were firat year students so it didn't end well for some of them. Luckily I got an A in gen bio lab two with the same instructor to lol. Close seconds would have to be my gen chem labs, got Bs in both of them and my gen chem lab two instructor was an ***, gen chem one also getting a B because I really didn't do much my first semester but luckily again I got an A in the second lecture, and lastly it has to go to the horrors that is calculus two and organic two. I got Bs in both of those classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

This was the last math class I needed for my degree. I seriously spent 2 times more studying calc than Ochem, physics, and biology.

Towards the final I started having nightmares a giant bunny was chasing my trying to "Integrate" me.

Took the final, got my A, threw away my Ti calculator.

Research Methods in Psychology was a killer. It was difficult because of the workload; the concepts in and of themselves weren't that awful. Neuropsychology and Neuroglia were thought challenging too. I absolutely blew gen chem 2, though. I didn't care enough as a sophomore.

Euclidean geometries. It was classical geometry, some of what you learned in high school, except a lot more rigorous and proof-based.

Organic chemistry II was pretty hard, but only because my professor was absolutely worthless.

Calc 2. If I would have just done my hw it wouldn't have been so bad

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only one who didn't think sciences were THATTTT hard?

Upper division econ and literature courses were way tougher for me.

Orgo 1 (bad prof and my utter confusion), manual muscle rehab techniques (grad school), pathophys, and advanced nutrition were my lowest grades.

Exercise Phys. Easy material, but entire semester crammed into 13 days.

Microeconomics or business ethics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/or grammar

Took an Econ course that was apparently for non majors. I had no basis for the class.. Starting from the first day, all the professor did was graphs and never explained much about basic Econ. Needless to say I was a sophomore and dropped that class faster than you can blink

I thought Finance and Accounting were hard. I am good at the math (funnily enough I love Statistics, Chemistry, Physics, and Calculus) but evidently I have very little business sense even as a business major :( Interest rates, taxes, and bonds aren't my forte...

As for science courses, genetics was hard. The jump in difficulty from general bio to a more advanced science seemed large to me. Although I took biochemistry, immunology, and vert neuro later on, genetics was the worst. It surprised me and smacked me in the head. Was the first class in which I was worried about making a C. Ended up barely making a B (I probably had a 80.001 trololol)

I think it was a tie between organic chem lab where I genuinely cried at least twice because I didn't know what my grade was and because I kept on failing to get right results. And my research methods class where my team mates literally did not contribute to the project, I literally did about 90% of the work.

Differential Equations (DiffyQ's!) followed close by Organic Chem... although, I feel I "absorbed" diffyq's better than orgo, it blew my mind more...

You know it's funny, I thoroughly enjoyed genetics and organic chemistry.

Physics 2 was definitely my toughest subject... about half the class failed and I only ended up with a B, where as every other class has been either an A or A-.

It's between Philosophy 305: Health Care Ethics and
Classics 450G: Latin Translation: Caesar et Sepulveda.

Health Care Ethics pushed me to not only understand pertinent issues, but break them down and be able to write about them in depth. Essays did not only have to be technically correct, but precise and carefully crafted to prove my claims and defend my assertions. Latin was hard because, well, it's upper level Latin.

You can't study and cram in the humanities like you can (and we do) in the sciences. I was able to study for Biochem, but I did not have to understand the TCA cycle well enough to explain it to my other classmates and defend its inner-workings while refuting the opposition.

I have only received an F once in my entire life. Ochem 2. it felt like pure hell, and the class could've been in Classical Greek, it wouldn't have made any difference. I retook the course in Summer and took a tutoring class and shot my grade up to A-. I never feared Ochem after that. once I truly understood the basics, it actually became a fun class that felt like it was solving interesting puzzles. Doing mechanisms and solving multistep synthesis are now my favorite memories of that class.

Same is true with gchem. I got a C- so I retook the course and actually listened to every single concept, without being preoccupied with writing notes. I wanted to actually understand what the professor was talking about and not live from test to test just memorizing what I needed for the week. after I did that I aced the class and came out really appreciating the concepts.

I was such a fool my first two years of undergrad. I was too preoccupied writing notes and just not spending enough time listening to what was being said and finding the elegance of what I was learning. That definitely explains my huge upward GPA trend.

tl;dr stop obsessing with notes, sit back and enjoy what you're being taught in class. The A's come naturally after that

Calculus II, mostly because the professor had been teaching for a long time and liked to actively ridicule people in class. He preached the philosophy of math more than he taught. It isn't required for my major, but I've thought about re-taking it under a different professor to see if the heart of the issue was my mathematical background or my reaction to the professor.

My cadaver anatomy course was hardest. Taught by the anatomy prof ar my in town med school. and he used the syllabus for his PA students. It was the BEST class though....

Interesting that there's so much diversity in here and its not all Ochem.

Mine was Ochem II then Ochem I. Each of those was at least as time consuming for me as DE and Calc III combined.

tie b/w genetics and histology, although it seems like histo got me pretty well prepped for the med school edition.

Orgo 2 because teacher was incompetent and made the class difficult to enjoy (not the case for orgo 1). I had to teach myself everything. Still scraped by with a B+

I would probably say Linear Algebra. Was at a bad place in my life at the time. Which probably explains it because I have no doubt that I could return and get an A in my current mind set.

Since my return to college. All have been reasonable I think. Was not a fan of Biochemistry because of the professor, but the content was not too bad.

Zoology. The professor is an amazing teacher but the class is extraordinarily difficult. Botany lab was also a pain.