Hardest interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mohderm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought it might be an interesting topic.......

What has been the most difficult question someone asked you at an interview so far this year?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed last year, but my hardest question was:

Look around this room and tell me three unique things in this room and describe their significance.
:eek: wtf

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed last year, but my hardest question was:

Look around this room and tell me three unique things in this room and describe their significance.

Easy..."me" (and then go on as to why you're unique); "you" (hopefully you read about each of your interviewers); "this interview between you and me" (and go on to why you're a great match for the program).

I had an IM prelim interviewer ask me, as her first question, to examine her nails and tell her what was wrong with them. She had faint Beau's lines from recent chemotherapy.

I was so annoyed, I didn't even rank the program.

Last spring, a summer internship interviewer asked me what kind of dress I'd wear to a cocktail party where I'd be the youngest member in attendance. I told her I'd wear a pink Lilly shift and she gave me a high five. :D

Easy..."me" (and then go on as to why you're unique); "you" (hopefully you read about each of your interviewers); "this interview between you and me" (and go on to why you're a great match for the program).

I didn't type the question verbatim, but the interviewer said 'objects'. :oops:

Good answer for the question though.

"How does your personal mantra line up with the core foundational values of this hospital"

I don't even remember how I answered. I'm pretty sure it was word vomit everywhere. At least it was probably entertaining for my interviewers.

"How does your personal mantra line up with the core foundational values of this hospital"

I don't even remember how I answered. I'm pretty sure it was word vomit everywhere. At least it was probably entertaining for my interviewers.

Wow, that is a truly hideous question. Nobody will be able to trump this one.

When I was interviewed I was asked to explain the difference between a structural abnormality and a functional abnormality. I couldn’t figure out anything so he skipped it.

When I was interviewed I was asked to explain the difference between a structural abnormality and a functional abnormality. I couldn’t figure out anything so he skipped it.

Structure and function are tied together but I guess he wanted some artificial answer that we are taught in medical school where we are supposed to separate the two. Black and white question for an area that is truly gray. The interviewer should have known better, especially when he is working in a clinical field where there are no black and white answers.

For those that get this you can talk about a bridge that may have a structural abnormality but has other redundancies in design that allows it to still maintain function. But really, would you cross a bridge with a known structural abnormality...really? Oh yeah, that's right, it might have a functional abnormality too but you won't know that until you're on your way to kiss gravity in the mouth as you plummet to the ground.

Yet another example of a stupid interview question...