Hardest working dermatology residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tender2TheTouch

Fibromyalgia Disability!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From memory of interviewing, I would have to say this was hands down the UCSF residents. I remember the residents were worn out at the interview dinner (and late due to surgery). This program provides wonderful training (some may argue the best in the country), but I definitely think it is the most time-consuming, rigorous, etc. Any other programs where the residents work exceptionally hard (like surgery residents)?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying to Dermatology, and shopping around for the program where you may get the most rigorous training, experience, and so on? In the end, I would say it is going to be what you make of it regardless.

Are you applying to Dermatology, and shopping around for the program where you may get the most rigorous training, experience, and so on? In the end, I would say it is going to be what you make of it regardless.

Agreed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, I'm in the same year of derm training as you are N-Surge. Just thought it would be an interesting topic.

I'll play your game you rogue. I dunno about Cali since I didnt get interviews there but my vote is for UT-Houston.

my vote goes for utsw and ucsf

When I was interviewing, the residents at Columbia were working 90-100 hrs per week on their consult months (they staff a number of hospitals in Manhattan).

When I was interviewing, the residents at Columbia were working 90-100 hrs per week on their consult months (they staff a number of hospitals in Manhattan).

They get that many consults? We cover a number of hospitals and only get a handful of consults per day still.

Hardest working residents: UCSD

Every day they have to force themselves to go in to work while the best weather ever is constantly happening all around them.

Stay classy, San Diego

Hardest working residents: UCSD

Every day they have to force themselves to go in to work while the best weather ever is constantly happening all around them.

Stay classy, San Diego

see y'all at AAD :oops:)

I imagine the place with the hardest working residents would be the one that sore eye asses works at, as they would have to tolerate his childish level of humor and adolescent-like mentality. However, to answer your question, Tender2TheTouch, the dermatology residents at Harvard Medical School I found to be the hardest working, even there finishing up consults up till 10 pm at night.

Members don't see this ad :)
I imagine the place with the hardest working residents would be the one that sore eye asses works at, as they would have to tolerate his childish level of humor and adolescent-like mentality. However, to answer your question, Tender2TheTouch, the dermatology residents at Harvard Medical School I found to be the hardest working, even there finishing up consults up till 10 pm at night.

As I've said before, I was very fortunate and proud to have matched at your mom's house, and though you find me childish, your mom would argue strongly that there is nothing childish about the dermatologic heat I'm packing...

Last edited:

Actually, I think sore eyes was hilarious. There's clearly no right answer to the question and his post totally satirizes the hilarity of the discussion. I laughed out loud when I read it! I know residents that work really hard at a lot of programs. I know other residents that are lazy. Some residents are working on grants and publications at the same time and stay up pretty late into the odd hours of the night and they bust major ass and I mean they are preformed a lot of research and/or publish a lot...not like one case report, and some are in 3 year programs. You would never know because they just do it, unless you read the literature regularly.

I think a little humor is good for you.

Actually, I think sore eyes was hilarious. There's clearly no right answer to the question and his post totally satirizes the hilarity of the discussion.

Yes, the problem is he/she does it for ALL questions/posts, not just limited to this one. One question on SDN can sound silly, but not all questions on SDN.

Yes, the problem is he/she does it for ALL questions/posts, not just limited to this one. One question on SDN can sound silly, but not all questions on SDN.

You're like that autistic kid who thinks they're laughing with you, when they're laughing at you.

You realize you're the only person on your team? Nobody has ever come to your aid. Nobody has ever shared your viewpoint. You're the smelly kid and you don't know it. Chomp down on the red pill. Wake up.

Your prior poll that you put up on one of your posts, about your "sense of humor" before you locked it up when you realized your were losing, speaks volumes about "laughing with you, when they're laughing at you." Pot meet kettle. A thicker skin would benefit you quite well, as it must be a sore spot for you. Sorry, but most people are not going to agree with you 100% of the time. Get used to it.

You realize you're the only person on your team? Nobody has ever come to your aid. Nobody has ever shared your viewpoint. You're the smelly kid and you don't know it. Chomp down on the red pill. Wake up.
I didn't know this was an elementary school thing for you. Thank you for proving my point about your level of maturity.

Last edited:
Your prior poll that you put up on one of your posts, about your "sense of humor" before you locked it up when you realized your were losing, speaks volumes about "laughing with you, when they’re laughing at you." Pot meet kettle. A thicker skin would benefit you quite well, as it must be a sore spot for you. Sorry, but most people are not going to agree with you 100% of the time. Get used to it.

I didn't know this was an elementary school thing for you. Thank you for proving my point about your level of maturity.

Despite your believing so, I never closed the poll. Also, the responses were consistently in my favor. Your sense of reality is broken.

Another fact, you're the biggest wet blanket in history; completely devoid of a sense of humor (pointed out by numerous regular posters on SDN, not that it required highlighting).

And now an assumption (something you're expert in, so this should be familiar): you're not in derm. You tried to match and failed. You lurk in this forum because you're a masochist.

I'm not a huge fan of maturity. Just pragmatism.

I'd suggest trying to relax but I think your Asperger brain is on cruise control. Have fun running that bitch into the ground.

Do you remember how you don't pick the multiple choice question that has the word ALL in it? Exactly. I also typically don't find people believable when they use the word ALL.

Why are you so angry with sore eyes anyway? I think humor is fine. The thread overall has a question that is super subjective. To just say Harvard as he answer is not only short sighted but kinda silly because I doubt you have actually been to all residencies and seen how hard each individual resident works. I personally know residents that will work on consults until and past 10 pm to finish their work and they are not at Harvard. Sore eyes makes it fun to read the thread which otherwise has no right answer...no matter how much you might think you are right. The Harvard residents also get several months of electives where they don't necessarily have to work long hours anymore. I'm sure some choose to work the long hours and I'm sure some choose not to but you didn't seem to point this out in your post and only gave a skewed view.

You have a right to your opinion and a right to disagree but if I look back on this post, I would say that you were the first one to go after sore eyes on a personal level. In my book that makes you the immature one.

Dermathalon,

Try using the search function on SDN for prior threads. I can't do all the work for you, esp. when you're this late to the game and wish to insert yourself in. I really don't give you any credibility, as you were unable to comprehend what I typed, even after quoting it, and still think I'm only referring to only this post.

Where do I say that Harvard "is the answer"? Also, where do I say that consult months are the only reason? Almost all 3rd years get some elective months. Most people know that elective months tend to not have long work hours - it isn't rocket science. Skinceutical had the same answer for Columbia, that doesn't mean it's the only reason that consult months are the only reason, Columbia is also hard. You should probably try reading posts, without adding your spin to it.

I'll give you the last word.

And now an assumption (something you're expert in, so this should be familiar): you're not in derm. You tried to match and failed. You lurk in this forum because you're a masochist.

You would be completely wrong, but whatever it takes to make your fragile ego feel better.

I'm not a huge fan of maturity.

That's obvious, and on that point, we finally completely agree. Thank you.

dude(tte)s, chill out. no need to chug the hatorade.
remember the derm way: peace, love and beautiful skin.

Dermathalon,

Try using the search function on SDN for prior threads. I can't do all the work for you, esp. when you're this late to the game and wish to insert yourself in. I really don't give you any credibility, as you were unable to comprehend what I typed, even after quoting it, and still think I'm only referring to only this post.

Actually, the reason I've inserted myself (which I rarely do in these debates as I agree with molmol in that we should all just get along) is that you have repeatedly gone after sore eyes on SEVERAL threads and I'm well aware of the search function :love:. Maybe it is you that should try the search command as sore eyes has been serious on several occasions in the past too. Stop shooting yourself in the foot with your assumptions.

Harvard is a great vote even if I don't agree. I took issue with your post because you took a sidelong jab at sore eyes before making your vote and I found that sidelong jab totally annoying. Sorry to say but didn't have a problem at all with Skinceutical's post because it was a respectful one (so don't try to drag me into that one). You made it seem like you had the right answer with your tone and so I felt compelled to reply.

Like I've stated in the past, it's how you do it and not what you do...

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you matched. It's just so hard to imagine that somebody with such a hideous attitude made it into derm, but I guess weirder things have happened. Maybe you used your asperger brain to crush step 1. Who knows...

The problem is that your attitude stinks. Your tone is demeaning and presumptuous. It's just ugly behavior.

The maturity argument is just silly. Dermathalon points out the obvious (something your mind just can't seem to grasp), that in most cases you've made the initial insult/attack. This fact should force some serious introspection on your part and perhaps halt some of your ceaseless vitriol.

I will add one more obvious point that could be gleaned by simply employing your own recommendation to research old posts before typing your next spiteful message decrying my "immaturity": there are no less than 5 different posts in recent threads where people go out of their way (without any encouragement from me) to state that they appreciate my posts and agree with their sentiment. You're the only person EVER that has raised an issue. What does this say about you? Could everyone else be wrong? You have to ask yourself why you're so bothered by my posts when so many others either enjoy them or are content to ignore them.

I am glad to see some here trying to defuse this hot bed. The humor is nice too. But this whole maturity thing has actually been addressed in another thread...

Are we having the "month or two prior to MOCs" shimmies? Let's play nice... Take aggression out on the ETAS problem sets. Those who do are the hardest working dermatology residents ever. :)

Something tells me that the OP was hoping for a flame war. Congrats! :D

Again, let's be nice.

Last edited:
Um...wrong again N-surge....I am not a medical student, and I wasn't trying to create a "flame war." Granted, it wasn't the best topic, but I go on here to blow off steam/for entertainment/bizarre conversations. I was having this conversation with a fellow resident and thought it was at least somewhat interesting. I don't take this website too seriously (unlike others). And SoreAssEyes, I find you hilarious. You treat this website with the appropriate amount of seriousness it deserves. Now I'm going back to Galderma in-training for some real work.

I go on here to blow off steam/for entertainment/bizarre conversations.

Wrong again? I think not. It is a horrible question. And it can only invite mischief, as it has. :)

Also, please do not have the impression I take this seriously either. Otherwise, I would have locked this thread. :D

Good luck to all on Feb 27th!

The in-service is Feb 23 for US and Canada. Galderma is wrong.