Harrison's 19th Edition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boaz

shanah alef
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in buying Harrison's but am worries that they're going to come out with a new edition soon after my purchase. Anyone know if a 19th edition is in the pipeline and when they plan on publishing?

Members don't see this ad.

Harrisons? What's wrong with google?

I'm interested in buying Harrison's but am worries that they're going to come out with a new edition soon after my purchase. Anyone know if a 19th edition is in the pipeline and when they plan on publishing?
I would say save the money or get subscription to uptodate instead (if you already don't have it). There is no point buying a textbook which is likely to be outdated at the time of the release. We all know attendings that make reference to page # and paragraph # in Harrison's, but I think the days of Harrison's is over. Being said that if you want to buy it so that it can collect dust on your shelf, that's another story.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't match into any fellowship now without authoring your own chapter of Harrison's.

Sits on my bookshelf looking pretty, that is about it.

Ignoring for a minute the wisdom of relying on a book that's 5 years out of date by the time it's published, there's a very high likelihood that your med school or residency will have online access to Harrison's and will always have the most updated version available.

Ignoring for a minute the wisdom of relying on a book that's 5 years out of date by the time it's published, there's a very high likelihood that your med school or residency will have online access to Harrison's and will always have the most updated version available.

And you still will never read it in clinical practice.

I got my harrison's, the DVD contents, and the self assessment for free. I'll PM you.

Overseas, IMGs swear by it and they do their teaching through that book.

but over here, it is an outdated book.

My way of learning stuff:
MS4 to PGY1 year, read MKSAP16, do the qusetions, take down the journal references.
Peruse through Pocket Medicine and take down all of the Journal Article citations.

Read through all of those evidence based medicine articles.
Keep up to date with new journal articles.

Use harrison's only as a source for pretty pictures for your presentations

read MKSAP16, do the qusetions, take down the journal references.
Peruse through Pocket Medicine and take down all of the Journal Article citations.

You, sir, are a better person than I.

My way of learning stuff:
MS4 to PGY1 year, read MKSAP16, do the qusetions, take down the journal references.

Use harrison's only as a source for pretty pictures for your presentations

My way of learning: Be good at your job, read about your patients as you get them, have a life outside of medicine so you don't go nuts. I dont know how you guys manage to work 80 hours and then still read MKSAP as interns. Doesn't seem worth it.

You should be having morning report/journal club/noon conferences which will have didactics and teaching sessions to teach you about high-impact trials and new literature.

My way of learning: Be good at your job, read about your patients as you get them, have a life outside of medicine so you don't go nuts. I dont know how you guys manage to work 80 hours and then still read MKSAP as interns. Doesn't seem worth it.

You should be having morning report/journal club/noon conferences which will have didactics and teaching sessions to teach you about high-impact trials and new literature.

I can get it done, get 6 hours of sleep a night, get really refreshed, walk my dogs, play some video games now and then, and take my wife out to shop and buy stuff... do all of the above mentioned... and I do a good job at my job.. so good that I have directly gotten goodpress for the hospital by way of the most thank you cards from patients and the least number of frivolous consults placed (e.g. convincing the attending by citing evidence left and right for things... of course some attendings need to scratch a consultant attending's back)

Don't hate.

Participate.

And before any snide remarks from our favorite pulm fellow on here, I did get that arterial puncture without effort afterward. You are more skilled and experienced than I, this I do not dispute. But please, I told you you won your argument already. Stop arguing online in the middle of the night and go get some sleep.

And before any snide remarks from our favorite pulm fellow on here, I did get that arterial puncture without effort afterward. You are more skilled and experienced than I, this I do not dispute. But please, I told you you won your argument already. Stop arguing online in the middle of the night and go get some sleep.

Oh, youre the guy who wanted to stick the femoral for PM labs? right

unfortunately, not every places have that.