Harvard Extension School. Is it really worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pi_

The tasty kind
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, long time SDN lurker here - thought I'd finally ask some questions and potentially contribute to the general medical school conversation where applicable. :hello:

Basically, I've decided that the Premedical Program at Harvard Extension School is the best (if not, only) route for me to take to obtain entry into medical school and was hoping to learn more about others' experience or to be given a realistic opinion on whether or not I am being prudent chasing the dream in this manner.

Here's some brief information about my qualifications:
- Graduated from UCIrvine with a B.A. in Public Health Policy in 2015 (pending completion of Calc)
- cGPA 2.80 | sGPA 2.35
- No MCAT
- 3 years of research (clinical and translational)
- Completed a Research Fellowship at UCI
- Presented at multiple conferences and received government award/recognition (city/county/state)
- 2 years of service learning in global health (Global Brigades)
- Lots of leadership (4 executive board positions, 1 president position with school sponsored association)
- Shadowing/research experience in the OR and ER
- Corporate (not retail/service) employment for 3+ years

Some basic information on who I am:
- 1st generation American (parents moved here from Iran, not sure if URM)
- Very personable, articulate, and generally pleasant to be around (so I've been told. >.<)
- Currently working in an optics lab making lenses for eyeglasses
- Intelligent but not particularly studious

I do understand that my GPA is abysmal. My brief explanation and opportunity for improvement is that I am a transfer student with only a few years of courses that count towards my GPA. I also failed calculus 4 times, effectively sealing my sGPA in the coffin. Luckily, my GPA can fluctuate at a slightly higher rate than normal due to the low number of university credits I'm currently holding (120). I am also aware that HES courses are extremely rigorous and that I'll definitely need to adjust my study habits/behavior to meet expectations. I've only completed one bio class and some of general chemistry and no labs so I will likely be completing all of the pre-req courses at HES (except Calc if I can finish it). Currently, I'm not very interested in completing my pre-reqs at a local community college because I transferred out of one and don't believe it challenges me enough or activates me academically. Additionally, I already cover my own living expenses including rent - so moving to the greater Boston area wouldn't be prohibitively costly for me (or much different financially from living in SoCal).

Here are some of my specific questions relating to HES:
- Is the rigor worth it? I am wary but excited with the difficulty of the classes after taking a look at some of the syllabi and course materials. Is the rigor of the pre-req courses at HES effective in simulating the difficulty of medical school? Basically, will this program give me the taste of medical school I'm looking for?
- How accessible are the professors? Obviously they (and the TAs) have office hours. But how receptive are they actually to extension students? Although I won't be tactless enough to pursue a relationship with them solely for a LOR, I will be interested in developing relationships with instructors for academic and personal connections.
- What are some ways I can prepare myself for the program? (I plan to begin next fall - but could start earlier if I feel adequately prepared)
- Do any of you have experience obtaining a research position (paid/unpaid) and could share some thoughts/stories?
- I am interested in making some like-minded friends; what's the attitude like in these classes? Is it full of gunners who will step on anyone to succeed? Or do I have a good shot at meeting some nice people who would want to collaborate on stuff (academically and not)?

Here are some questions related to post-bacc in general:
- Am I making an unwise choice in moving to the other side of the country to complete pre-reqs rather than just attending a CA CC? (obviously subjective)
- Are post-bacc grades just tacked on top of my university grades? Are CC grades included?
- Does anyone have experience applying/attending to medical schools abroad following a post-bacc? (I might be a little ahead of myself here, but just curious)
- I am currently taking calculus at a CC to complete my final degree requirement. Will I have to retake it anyway for pre-req credit? If so, should I just take it at HES?

TL;DR - Low GPA, lots of research and leadership. Motivated but realistic in assumption of academic performance. Is HES right for me? If so, how do I succeed?

It is likely there are many questions floating around in my head that I've left out of this anxiety-ridden post - and I'll be sure to post them as soon as I can pin them down.

Thank you so much for reading my lengthy post. I've already learned so much from this forum over the years and hope to be able to contribute to the best of my ability.

Members don't see this ad.

HES is a mistake. You're not ready for that work, not from your GPA.

First search SDN on "low GPA" to find consensus advice. Here's a summary.

Take one reasonably difficult science or math class at a CC. If you get an A, then take 2 classes. Not getting A's means you're done. So you'd better be getting an A in calc.

Meanwhile find a university where you can do a 2nd bachelors in a hard science such as biochem. You need a multiple year, very strong academic performance, just like all the other premeds. Some people are able to get a regular job on campus to make this happen.

But since you have 4 yrs of GPA damage that gets averaged in with your new work, your odds of (a) success with getting A's now and (b) success with med school admissions after years of additional work are both very low. To be frank the best choice would be something other than med school.

Best of luck to you.

Did you actually literally get an F in Calculus 1, four times? And now you're hoping 5th time is the charm? Or was that an exaggeration?

Usually the plan prescribed for your situation is to retake all C's, D's and F's, and apply broadly to DO schools since they do grade replacement (they only look at your highest grade for a class when calculating your GPA). Replacing ~12 credits of Calculus F's with an A should do wonders for your GPA.

I agree with DrMidlife that you aren't ready for HES yet. I think you should stay put where you are, continue with your job/EC's/volunteering/etc, retake all your C/D/F classes and get A's in them. Figure out how to do well in classes. Once you're doing well, only then should you think about starting a post-bac to do your pre-req's.

- Is the rigor worth it? I am wary but excited with the difficulty of the classes after taking a look at some of the syllabi and course materials. Is the rigor of the pre-req courses at HES effective in simulating the difficulty of medical school? Basically, will this program give me the taste of medical school I'm looking for?
I doubt it simulates difficulty of medical school. Not sure if rigor is worth it - we'll see how I do on the MCAT. I think it certainly pushed my limits academically and forced me to improve study habits which is a good thing.

- How accessible are the professors? Obviously they (and the TAs) have office hours. But how receptive are they actually to extension students? Although I won't be tactless enough to pursue a relationship with them solely for a LOR, I will be interested in developing relationships with instructors for academic and personal connections.
Super accessible, assuming you're engaged and interested. Some more so than others.

- I am interested in making some like-minded friends; what's the attitude like in these classes? Is it full of gunners who will step on anyone to succeed? Or do I have a good shot at meeting some nice people who would want to collaborate on stuff (academically and not)?
Attitude is generally helpful and friendly. Most people are more than happy to help out with things, form study groups, etc. If you want to meet people I'd suggest considering beginning the program during summer with Gen Chem. There is a different vibe during the summer vs during the year, and you'll have a much easier time making friends over the summer. The people I met during summer gen chem have been friends for the entire program and my social circle hasn't expanded a whole lot since that time. But yeah, it's super easy to make friends, collaborate on whatever, etc.

Here are some questions related to post-bacc in general:
- Am I making an unwise choice in moving to the other side of the country to complete pre-reqs rather than just attending a CA CC? (obviously subjective)
Maybe. I think HES is awesome, but I'm not sure it's that much better than whatever your local 4-year state university offers. Consider also that after moving you need to find all new EC's, etc. There's also the chance that you uproot your life, come here, and then don't succeed... Given your GPA, you need A's. It's not impossible to get A's here, but it does take a lot of work. I know some very very smart people who have gotten B's in biology and orgo in particular.

- Are post-bacc grades just tacked on top of my university grades? Are CC grades included?
Yes, yes.

- Does anyone have experience applying/attending to medical schools abroad following a post-bacc? (I might be a little ahead of myself here, but just curious)
General SDN wisdom says don't do it if you want to ever practice in the US.

- I am currently taking calculus at a CC to complete my final degree requirement. Will I have to retake it anyway for pre-req credit? If so, should I just take it at HES?
Shouldn't need to retake it. That said, HES Calculus 1 was probably the best class I've ever taken in any subject at any school. It was so well taught! I was scared at first, but now I love calculus! Never thought I'd say that!