Harvard extension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothpaste11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any information on harvard extension?
ive been doing an informal postbacc but the doctor i work for suggested i do harvard extension (what he did & said he got a 3.9 and it wasnt that bad, but i dont know what this means coming from HIM...) which would basically be kind of like an informal postbacc.
i hear the perks are that its very cheap and often many classes have no limit on the # of students enrolled.
my question is, how HARD are these classes? will it shoot my gpa to hell ? obviously i am trying to raise my gpa during my postbacc. i have no problem working hard, but my concern is will my hard work be good enough for an A at harvarD? i ask because it is becoming difficult to continue postbaccing at local colleges around here because there are credit limits to non matriculated students and i'd have to go to 2 schools next term in order to continue my classes. so im considering doing harvard extension so i can take all my classes in 1 location and make it easier on myself.
any1 know of someone who did this extension? it requires no application or anything ....hmm, looking for any advice/input/info?! thank you !

Members don't see this ad.

Hi toothpaste11,

I'm currently taking a medical microbiology class at the Harvard Extension School. It's a night time class in addition to my full time job - no lab, just lecture once a week + recitation. I found my class much easier than my undergraduate class, and I think the professor is awesome. She's a full time faculty for Harvard undergraduate students, so I think it is a great way to learn and boost your GPA at the same time. A couple of my friends are actually doing a Masters while working full time, so it's not that difficult.

And registration really just entails paying money. Nobody checks whether or not you have the "suggested prerequisites"; someone I know who majored in economics and works in something completely unrelated to science took an upper level neurobiology class over the summer. He did fine and got an A in the class.

Also, the rigor is not as difficult as "actual" Harvard classes, although I majored in biology and work in the field.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did all my pre-req from Harvard Extension. Justt know that you don't need to be scared of it just because of its name (Harvard). Keep in mind though that the majority of people who take science classes at Harvard Extension are post bacc and are aiming to enter health professional schools. This means that they are very seriously about it and will work very hard. Although most classes are not curved, a few classes are. So you are competing to be top x% against everyone else who is as desperate as you are. Good luck!

Last edited:
ive heard about this. but ive heard mixed things.
some people i know said they really liked it and its great and not that hard. but other people have told me it sucks bc in most classes theres only 2 exams for the whole semester- a midterm and final. so its alot of pressure if u F one exam up...pressures on for the last and final one. i have no idea if all their classes are like that and im sure its safe to say theyre not but if u dont live in boston and would move their for this program, and u end up not getting a 4.0 (which is the point of a postbacc?) ....that wont be so cute.