Harvard Health Careers Program - Getting Accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iain

Semental Blanco
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know you can apply for the Harvard Health Careers Program or just register for classes. I have my application for the Health Careers Program all filled out and ready to be sent, however I am unsure what exactly their criteria to be accepted are – can anyone shed some light on what exactly they are looking? How difficult it is to get accepted? etc.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Iain said:
can anyone shed some light on what exactly they are looking?

$100.

As long as your GPA is >2.5 your good.

Sundarban1 said:
$100.

As long as your GPA is >2.5 your good.

The tough part will be getting through the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
BobLJ99 said:
The tough part will be getting through the program.

What makes you say that? Just the gap between what they accept, and what is needed to be successful in it?

All he means is it's tough. From what others have said:

The classes range from tough to very tough but always fair grading with no curve. If you're gonna cut it in medical school though you have to be able to handle hard classes so if you're committed, go for it.

Iain said:
What makes you say that? Just the gap between what they accept, and what is needed to be successful in it?

The acceptance criteria are not that rigorous, but the program is. The courses are taught by Harvard faculty who have high expectations for their students. I am concurrently taking chemistry and physics and there has been quite a bit of attrition in both classes. These classes are a lot of work and require dedication and many people overextend themselves resulting in not doing so well.

Thanks - it sounds great!!!!! I am looking forward to the academic rigors of the course!

I have an '06 thread I'm starting up - we need to get a good support system going, we have a lot of studying to do.

I'm excited too!

Maxprime said:
I have an '06 thread I'm starting up - we need to get a good support system going, we have a lot of studying to do.

I'm excited too!

uhh...not so fast Max. It's technically still 2005 and you're not even starting until Fall 06. If you want our lecture notes, old exams, advice on TA's, etc. I suggest you keep posting in our 2005 thread or it could get ugly :scared:

Can you apply to HCP if you've already taken the premed courses?

SGMD1 said:
Well...turns out this isn't quite accurate. I applied with a 2.67/2.57 Cumulative/Science (up to 2.72/2.66 now) and got a rejection letter, along with my $100 back, this morning. In the letter Dr. Fixsen basically said that no matter how stellar my postbacc grades and MCAT are, there's no way I'm getting into medical school. Ouch :(

Thats typical. You can still enroll in classes here and do the program just like everyone else. The only thing you won't have is a sponsorship option, but you can always get individual letters from your professors. While it may be true that US allopathic schools might look down on low GPA's there are other options for you (DO, off shore schools). If you keep your options open you should really consider coming and just taking the classes with everyone else. No matter what you have to get your GPA around 3.0 and getting good grades at Harvard will go a long way for you. Good luck.

Who's Dr. Fixsen? Is that the guy who picks up when you call the HCP number?

And how long does it take for them to make the decision? (I sent my app on Friday.)

Dr. Acula said:
Who's Dr. Fixsen? Is that the guy who picks up when you call the HCP number?

And how long does it take for them to make the decision? (I sent my app on Friday.)

Dr. Fixsen is the director of the Health Careers Program. I'm not sure what number you are calling, but his number and Owen Peterson's number are listed on the website if you wish to contact them directly.

It usually takes between 1-2 weeks to hear back once they've received the application.