Harvard Longwood

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HMSPSYCH

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We didn't fill this year.

There's a PGY3 spot opening for 2008 if anybody's interested. I believe this program is not as good as it once was.

Members don't see this ad.

We didn't fill this year.

I believe this program is not as good as it once was.

this post begs two questions:

1. you didn't fill all of your pgy-1 positions or did a new spot simply become available in the rising pgy-3 class?

2. why do you think the program isn't as good as it once was?

just curious, since i ranked it!

2 PGY1 spots didn't fill

Members don't see this ad :)
2 PGY1 spots didn't fill

wow, that's really surprising. wouldn't have expected that at all. i wonder what happened.

incidentally, how do so many people know about this already?

NIKA is exactly right. 2 PGY-1 spots went unfilled. Additionally, one PGY-2 is leaving, just like last year. Why? Once you are here, the real face of the program surface. You can PM me if you like.

I believe this program is not as good as it once was.

Why? Once you are here, the real face of the program surface.

You know, the day before match day is probably not the appropriate time to be posting this. If you have or have had anything useful to say regarding this program, you should have posted it before rank lists are due. By posting these vague and negative comments now, however, you're merely succeeding in removing some of the excitement of matching that 15 (or 13) applicants will have tomorrow.

If you have anything substantial to post, please elucidate your above comments. Otherwise, go away.

NIKA is exactly right. 2 PGY-1 spots went unfilled. Additionally, one PGY-2 is leaving, just like last year. Why? Once you are here, the real face of the program surface. You can PM me if you like.

I'm not sure you have your facts straight. To my knowledge, no PGY-2 left last year.

As far as I know, the only person the PGY-2's lost this year (hence the open PGY-3 spot) left on account of becoming pregnant and wanting to relocate closer to family - not because the program showed any sort of evil underbelly, lol. As far as the two unfilled PGY-1 spots this year, they have since been filled with strong applicants and I don't think it's a reflection of a poor program so much as a limited applicant pool. Both NYU and Yale also went unfilled. When you have a smaller applicant pool being coveted by a large number of strong programs it can happen. I for one don't regret choosing Longwood at all and don't think there's been any change in the quality of the program. However, it is a challenging one and not everyone will be happy all the time no matter where they are.

As far as I know, the only person the PGY-2's lost this year (hence the open PGY-3 spot) left on account of becoming pregnant and wanting to relocate closer to family - not because the program showed any sort of evil underbelly, lol. As far as the two unfilled PGY-1 spots this year, they have since been filled with strong applicants and I don't think it's a reflection of a poor program so much as a limited applicant pool. Both NYU and Yale also went unfilled. When you have a smaller applicant pool being coveted by a large number of strong programs it can happen. I for one don't regret choosing Longwood at all and don't think there's been any change in the quality of the program. However, it is a challenging one and not everyone will be happy all the time no matter where they are.

Funny how MGH, south shore, cambridge didn't have anybody who was pregnant and/or wanted to move home to be closer to his or her family 2 years consecutively. This always seems like a favorite line for administration to tell others when someone requests a transfer. There seems to be a lot of pregnancies at longwood lately. Last year, the person who transferred in as a PGY2 was also pregnant. You can spin this anyway you like but there are alot of unhappy residents at this place due to being overworked. The ED at BIDMC is just one example.

... Last year, the person who transferred in as a PGY2 was also pregnant. You can spin this anyway you like but there are alot of unhappy residents at this place due to being overworked. The ED at BIDMC is just one example.

If they have time to get pregnant, then they can't be THAT overworked! ;)

I'm not sure I'm understanding this... pregnancy is an indicator of unhappiness? And again... no PGY-2 left last year. You seem to have an axe to grind.

You appear willing to write whatever it takes to defend this residency program, which is understanble since you are an alumni.

And no, being pregnant is not a 'reason for unhappiness' but working at multiple unsupportive places are....Revealing the truth is not the same as 'having an axe to grind'. The truth remains, 2 spots went unfill this year which should indicate that something is not right.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an alum. I have never hidden that, and have openly discussed it on this forum. Harvard Longwood is an excellent program, and my training there has stood me in excellent stead. Within 2 years of graduation, I find myself on the editorial boards of 2 major journals, and coming this July will be assuming a chairmanship of a department - all attributable in no small way to the quality of the training I received at Longwood, and how well it is perceived by other departments around the country.

That said, who are you? You claim to be a resident, yet report things (like a PGY-2 leaving last year) that are not true. You further insinuate that a PGY-2 is leaving b/c of unhappiness, and when someone else provides information that she is in fact leaving b/c of pregnancy and a wish to be closer to family (and BTW flexibility around family issues has always been one of the major strengths of Longwood), you shrug it off with a vague statement that "no-one at other programs seems to get pregnant."

As for not filling this year, as other posters have mentioned, neither did NYU, Yale, or Stanford - all excellent programs. I'm not sure what this is a sign of, but Longwood hardly seems to be isolated in the category of very strong programs that did not fill this year.

If you are a current resident, I'd advise you stop airing your complaints on an anonymous message board and take them to the administration. In my time there (not too long ago) they were very receptive to resident input, and we managed to make several major changes to the call system, ED coverage, and didactic schedule all based on resident suggestion. If you are not a current resident (and I have some suspicion that you're not) then I'd ask you to put your sour grapes aside and get on with your life.

Additionally, one PGY-2 is leaving, just like last year.

There is not a PGY2 "leaving", she has already left, several months ago in fact. Also, no PGY2 left last year, which you would know if you were actually a resident in the Longwood program. I'm not denying that there are problems (there are in every program) but you don't even seem to have the facts straight and are posting inflammatory messages based on cursory knowledge of what goes on in the program. Why don't you pick some other program to slander?

From an applicant perspective, Longwood comes across as a warm, well-supported program that busts your tail (lovingly), turns you into a great psychiatrist with a great name on your diploma, and puts you in a great position for fellowships.

From a pure marketing perspective, they did struggle on interview day to distinguish themselves from MGH, and the residents there should really work on their answers to the question "why Longwood? why not MGH or Cambridge?", because the residents I met certainly didn't have satisfactory or convincing answers when they were asked, and that has to be a question that gets asked of them on every interview day. Seriously, they should rehearse in front of the mirror.

I'm pretty sure there are GREAT reasons to pick Longwood over those other two programs, but they were certainly never presented to me in a coherent manner. I think most of us perceive Longwood as a sort of middle grounds between the environments of MGH and Cambridge, and I think that middle ground is a very attractive place to be. They might be really well served by emphasizing that more than they do.

I ranked them #4, but if my envelope had read "Longwood" on match day, I would have been just as happy as I was getting my #1. If my take is representative of the general perception of the program, I think its reputation is perfectly healthy, and not filling is a simple case of either a statistical anomaly filling so many spots, or simply failed marketing.

I think NYU's situation could be described similarly.

From my perspective, Longwood isn't Cambridge because you're trained in major tertiary care hospitals (BIDMC and Brigham) rather than a community hospital, giving you access to patients with more severe medical comorbidity, transplants, etc. and other trainees in every possible discipline. In short, the access to community psychiatry and psychotherapy you'd find at Cambridge, with the added bonus of training in two world-renowned major teaching hospitals.

Longwood isn't MGH because you don't have to have PhD or come from a top ten medical school to go there (I kid because I love). Realistically, the atmosphere at Longwood is more laid back than MGH, a little more of a collegial relationship between residents and faculty rather than hierarchical.

I'm not sure that Longwood residents see themselves as having to differentiate themselves from Cambridge and MGH - from our perspective we're quite different animals, although I understand your point re: an "advertising" strategy. Either way, I think people end up where they're supposed to go - it's all about your own limbic response to the environment.

That said, who are you? You claim to be a resident, yet report things (like a PGY-2 leaving last year) that are not true.

If you are not a current resident (and I have some suspicion that you're not) then I'd ask you to put your sour grapes aside and get on with your life.

Agreed. I have a very strong feeling that he is not a current resident but rather someone who has some issues he needs to work out on his own.

You guys got me :eek: I don't know anything about Longwood or am not even a resident but actually a PD at a competing program making up malicious lies to discredit your institution.

In the spirit of paranoia, I suspect SC09, sopsyched, doc samson are one and the same. :laugh:

You guys got me :eek: I don't know anything about Longwood or am not even a resident but actually a PD at a competing program making up malicious lies to discredit your institution.

In the spirit of paranoia, I suspect SC09, sopsyched, doc samson are one and the same. :laugh:

Please just answer the one question that has been posed over and over again, otherwise please go away.

If you are indeed a current resident, why did you state that a PGY-2 left last year when none did?

Also, I believe the sniping comment made about the BIDMC ED should be clarified. (I, too, should disclose that I'm a current Longwood resident.) For those who may not know, BIDMC represents the merger of the previous Beth Israel Hospital and the Deaconess Hospital into the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, the flagship institution of CareGroup Healthcare System and one of HMS's 4 main teaching hospitals.

I'm not saying that it's not hard work; in fact, the residents do feel overworked at times, particularly after a busy shift in the ED. However.... there is a TON of support in place. On any given night, there is both a PGY1 and a PGY2 on call at the BI. So, from the PGY1 perspective, there is always a psych PGY2 (in addition to Medicine, Surgery, Neuro, etc...) that is in-house should any problems arise. From the PGY-2 perspective, there is always a PGY-1 in-house to help with consults in the ED. On back-up, there is always a Longwood PGY-4 on home-call who expects to be called for difficult cases and who expects to come in if too many urgent consults are called simultaneously (this may happen a handful of times during any particular resident's PGY-4 year). Beyond this, there is a specific attending on back-up for this particular hospital who also knows that they can be called in if the volume were to grow too high (I've not seen this happen, but all attendings know that it can) or if there is a very particular situation involving a VIP or a complicated legal situation requiring an attending. Beyond THIS, the CL Director and the Chief are always reachable, and, in my experience, I had to contact each of them in the wee hours (for 2 completely different situations), and each was compassionate and professional and offered to come in.

In addition to all of this, there is now a full-time bedsearcher (this evolved because residents complained that bed searching was a time suck, and the hospital realized that it would save $ by funding such a position), and the ancillary services in this tertiary care center are impeccable -- I never had to draw blood, start IVs, take EKGs, etc., even when they were necessary STAT (for these, I'm referring to patients on the psych unit; if the pt were in the ED, the medical ED personnel would obviously be responsible for these things). Also, there is now a very well-paying moonlighting position at the BI where one of the main tasks of the moonlighter is to round on the ED patients who had to board overnight due to bed shortages in the city - neither on-call resident (PGY1 or PGY2) needs to round on these patients at the start of the shift if they do not wish.

So, all of this being said, while I acknowledge that call nights can be busy (oh, did I mention that PGY2's are on night float, so most of these busy nights are 12-hr shifts and not 24-30 hr calls), the support structure is in place. Whether or not the PGY2 utilizes the support is another question... but, if he/she doesn't, it has nothing to do with the culture of the program.

As Doc Samson alluded to in an earlier response, the administration prides itself on advocating for residents and providing the most sound training experience they can - within reason, of course. Support structures have been developed over time, and I would advise you, HMSPSYCH, if you are truly a member of our program (which has yet to be proven), that you should make an appt with ANY of our training directors or bring these issues up at the next House Officers' Association meeting or Training Committee meeting, or any of the other bazillion regularly-scheduled feedback sessions that we have. Making vague, incisive statements on an anonymous forum serves nobody's interest, least of which your own.

I will refrain from turning this into a trial but these are the undeniable, verifiable facts at this program:

2008 match: 2 unfilled PGY-2 spots.
1 'unexpected' PGY-3 spot..

2007: 1 'unexpected' PGY-2 spot which was filled by a resident from another program.

Good night.:sleep:

A slight reframing:

2 people out of 60 residents have left in 2 years, neither because they were unhappy with the program.

Yes, 2 slots went unfilled, but as has been discussed, this seems to be a phenomenon this year spanning several other traditionally excellent programs.

On this forum, we have one clearly anti-Longwood poster (who continues to post inaccurate information - the 2 unmatched slots were PGY-1), with one alum, 4 current residents, and one person that interviewed there all posting favorable comments.

At least one good thing came out of this post - we received an excellent run down on the program from "one alum, 4 current residents, and one person that interviewed there." From an outsider's perspective, it is nice to see such enthusiasm and loyalty. It speaks volumes.

I love the Longwood Medical Area. Any hope for a US-citizen IMG who attends a good international medical school and scores top percentile to gain a psych residency in Boston? Thanks! :cool:

I love the Longwood Medical Area. Any hope for a US-citizen IMG who attends a good international medical school and scores top percentile to gain a psych residency in Boston? Thanks! :cool:

I met several IMGs when I interviewed at BU and I've heard that there are quite a few at Tufts.

One issue that comes up for residency applicants is administrative leadership. Longwood has had an opening at the top which has been filled by David Silbersweig, who is currently vice chair at Cornell, a neuroimaging researcher, and someone who is widely considered to be excellent. If there has been vagueness about why someone should go to Longwood, I'd expect that Dr. Silbersweig will be able to crystallize its strengths and priorities.

As for not filling this year, as other posters have mentioned, neither did NYU, Yale, or Stanford - all excellent programs.

Not true. Stanford filled its PGY-I categorical spots through the match this year.

As for not filling this year, as other posters have mentioned, neither did NYU, Yale, or Stanford - all excellent programs.

Not true. Stanford filled its PGY-I categorical spots through the match this year.

Probably my own inexperience in reading the unfilled program list. Which slots did Stanford fail to fill?

Well, don't know much about Harvard Longwood, but I do know something about Doc Samson based on his posts. The guy's been giving good advice and seems to know his stuff, and despite being an attending had treated the rest of us residents like colleagues. The guy's known to the board & has been around here for quite awhile.

Probably my own inexperience in reading the unfilled program list. Which slots did Stanford fail to fill?

They have 2 designated research track slots in addition to their categorical slots, and I think the research slots didn't fill.

Stanford has 2 dedicated research spots for Md-PhDs which did not fill--which means that those 2 spots just went to general categorical applicants.

Interesting thread this! Not filling for a year or so is not really a big deal. Many good programs go through this, but being overly defensive can say something about the prevailing confidence in the program or it shows the proud proponents who will stand up for the programs. Interesting dynamic, whichever it is.:D

Florida filled. But Yale actually had 2 openings in the child/adult psych program and 2 spots in the Stanford gen psych and another 2 in the Stanford Psych/research program. NYU also had 2 spots open.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=505900

Which one is true?

Well, don't know much about Harvard Longwood, but I do know something about Doc Samson based on his posts. The guy's been giving good advice and seems to know his stuff, and despite being an attending had treated the rest of us residents like colleagues. The guy's known to the board & has been around here for quite awhile.

:oops:
Oh now, you're going to make me blush. Not to beat a dead horse into glue here, but attendings treating residents as colleagues was definitely an ethic I picked up in residency.

Stanford Univ Progs-CA​
STANFORD

Psychiatry 1820400A0 2 0
Psychiatry 1820400C0 11 11​
Psychiatry/Research 1820400C1 2 0

Based only on the match outcome results released by the NRMP (and not on any first hand knowledge), it appears that Stanford filled all categorical positions, but did not fill the 2 psych/research positions or 2 advanced positions.