Harvard Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chihuahaua

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine who is currently in med school has been offered the opportunity to pursue a Harvard MPH after graduation in lieu of residency (which he would delay for 1 year). I think this is a pretty good deal and would do wonders for his CV (coming from a low-tier med school) but I know nothing about medicine so my opinion is probably not of much help. Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Doing the year at Harvard will only be fully beneficial if he/she can delay graduation. Any lead time between graduation and residency will make it more difficult to match well.

If his/her goal in doing the MPH is concrete, in the sense that there are very specific skills that he/she needs and intends to use for a certain job (i.e. may not practice fully and go into public policy work), then he/she needs to weigh the benefits of that against the more difficult match.

On the other hand, if he/she is doing it primarily to boost the CV, and again, cannot delay graduation itself, I see this doing more harm than good.

Reactions: 1 users
A friend of mine who is currently in med school has been offered the opportunity to pursue a Harvard MPH after graduation in lieu of residency (which he would delay for 1 year). I think this is a pretty good deal and would do wonders for his CV (coming from a low-tier med school) but I know nothing about medicine so my opinion is probably not of much help. Advice?

No one cares about an MPH from Harvard unless you’re applying for some epidemiology job. Why would residency directors care?

Reactions: 6 users