Harvard MD/MBA Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marquis_Phoenix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if it's even possible to get into this dual-degree program straight out of college because you have to apply separately to both.

Particularly given the average entering age of 27 or 28.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just wondering if it's even possible to get into this dual-degree program straight out of college because you have to apply separately to both.

It is possible. If it wasn't, why would schools have the MD/MBA track?
Last time I checked the definition of average, it still meant the mean number between lows and highs. Hence, unless everyone that enter is either 27 or 28, there are probably students that are higher, and students that are lower.

i think his emphasis is here:

so the syllogism is as follows:

1. u generally need work experience prior to being competitive for a program like Harvard MBA.
2. u generally get work experience after graduation.
3. most people competitive for Harvard MBA don't become so immediately upon graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)

1. u generally need work experience prior to being competitive for a program like Harvard MBA.
3. most people competitive for Harvard MBA don't become so immediately upon graduation.

That pretty much says it. In addition/on top of that, you need to have the laundry list of experiances to get into HMS...and the MCAT is only valid 3 years or so!

Even with the said emphasis, you are wrong.
With schools that accept MD/MBA tracks, and have you apply for admission to both school, they have you specify that you are taking this path (this is, apply to both school for a MD/MBA spot). This way, the 2-3 years you spend in medical school counts as work experience. So, you do not have to generally get work experience as you have so mentioned. To say most people that are competitive for Harvard MBA have worked is a gross overstatement. Sure work experience is necessary, but don't assume it's the work experience that makes you competitive. Schools value work experience because it shows maturity, allows the candidate to relate the lesson to past experience, and the candidate has something to provide to the discussion.

But don't believe a word I say. Have it your way. It's impossible. Impossible I say. Don't even waste your money or your time. Impossible.

This reminds me of the Critical Reasoning Section on the GMAT?

What gap is the author missing between the premise and the conclusion?
I'm too lazy to add multiple choice options, I'll leave that up to you.:laugh: :laugh:

It is possible to get the Harvard MD/MBA straight from college. In fact, it seems that HBS is actively trying to attract people who SPECIFICALLY have no work experience. It adds diversity to the class discussions. That being said, not having work experience does NOT mean that you haven't done other significant things with your time. I would generally worry about getting into HMS over HBS, as HMS is the more selective one. However, both are looking for strong leadership credentials. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Can you apply to the Harvard MD/MBA once you're at Harvard? I remember reading somewhere that M1s at HMS can apply to HBS for the joint degree. Does this happen often? Is it harder to get into the joint degree program through this route?

Can you apply to the Harvard MD/MBA once you're at Harvard? I remember reading somewhere that M1s at HMS can apply to HBS for the joint degree. Does this happen often? Is it harder to get into the joint degree program through this route?

Admissions
Applicants to the joint MD/MBA program must complete the application requirements of both HMS and HBS separately, applying to each school and checking the "joint program" box provided on each of the applications. In addition, applicants will be asked to complete a separate, brief essay to the joint program describing their interests at the interface of medicine and management that should be submitted on both applications. Based on the rigorous nature of the MD/MBA program, selected candidates must be outstanding with respect to the admissions criteria of both HMS and HBS and be admitted to each school independently. Please note that your application and/or its status may be shared with the partner school.

Applicants will be required to meet either the Round 1, Round 2, or Round 3 application deadlines of HBS and the standard November 1 application deadline of HMS. Neither school will give preference to joint degree candidates in the admissions process; however, as part of the selection process, particular emphasis will be placed on the strength of an applicant's stated goals and interests related to the mission of the joint degree program.

Students who are currently enrolled in the first year of the master's degree program at HMS or HBS and are interested in pursuing both MD and MBA degrees are advised to contact the MD/MBA Program's leadership for guidance. These students will need to submit an application to the other degree program and, if accepted, will be offered many of the resources and opportunities available to students who have been admitted concurrently to both programs. Students who are beyond their first year in the MD Program will not be considered for the joint MD/MBA Program.

Once a student has been admitted to and enrolled in the joint MD/MBA program, the student must complete both degrees successfully in order to achieve graduation from Harvard.

From Harvard MD/MBA info site

Thanks for the reply. However, does anyone know if students actually follow this route? Judging from the conversation above, it seems as though the vast majority of spots in the MD/MBA program are given to entering M1s (M0s, perhaps?), not to M1s already at HMS.

Thanks for the reply. However, does anyone know if students actually follow this route? Judging from the conversation above, it seems as though the vast majority of spots in the MD/MBA program are given to entering M1s (M0s, perhaps?), not to M1s already at HMS.

From what I hear from some admission committee, and this might not be true for Harvard, it is wise to apply for the dual degree for two reason.
1. There is a limited amount of spot each year, and the school(s) are looking to fill their spot. They will generally like to fill the MD/MBA slot with a recent grad who was admitted to both school on his/her merits. If there are additional slots, then it will be offered to M1, M2, or B1(business school year 1) who are interested. This is what adcoms at select schools have told me, although Harvard (whom I didn't call) might have follow this pattern.

2. Even if you don't get in the business school and get in the medical school or vice versa (depending on the school), you can matriculate at the school you received acceptance, make yourself known to the staff that coordinates MD/MBA (if there is one) and get your name out there. The re-application for a MD/MBA slot might just be easier once they know you as a person, as well as knoe that you had applied there before, and now chose to go to the medical school (or business school if reversed) and give it another the MD/MBA another shot. Something about schools knowing that a candidate is really attracted to that specific school makes them want to accept said candidate.

Just my $0.02. Take it or leave it.

I am an M1 at HMS, and I just applied and got into HBS. For our class, there are 2 students who got into MD/MBA as M0s. However, there are quite a few M1s applying to the MBA, and the odds are pretty good I think. I don't know if this policy will change as the program becomes more established and more people apply.

I am an M1 at HMS, and I just applied and got into HBS. For our class, there are 2 students who got into MD/MBA as M0s. However, there are quite a few M1s applying to the MBA, and the odds are pretty good I think. I don't know if this policy will change as the program becomes more established and more people apply.

Concerning HMS and HBS, are there any of your classmates that applied that did not get accepted? Any statistics to the actual number would be helpful.

It has become possible to apply as an M2 (that is what I did). It wasn't originally intended, but the rules evolved. It's informal, though, and therefore could change, but I doubt it will. You just need to satisfy certain requirements in the first two years - take certain classes (some of which are going to be required for all HMS students anyway), and have a summer experience between M1/M2 that relates to combined degree's goals.

Also, there are people who apply from HMS and are not accepted, and it does not seem to necessarily correlate with people who come straight from undergrad. Leadership experiences are much more important, as well as being able to explain why the MBA will be useful for you (evidenced by your experiences).