Harvard MPH-65 vs. Stanford MS CHPR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peppathepig

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm incredibly grateful to have received acceptances to two amazing programs today, the Harvard's MPH-65 Health Policy program and Stanford's MS in Community Health & Preventative Research. While I acknowledge these are pretty different programs, I'd love to hear more from folks on their experiences in either of these programs + any pros/cons especially in regard to how it prepares you for medical school. For context, the end goal is to go to medical school / I will be applying this cycle, and graduated back in 2022. TIA!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Those are both incredible programs, I didn't apply to either back when I was in your shoes so I can't offer much advice there but in terms of applying to medical school, I think Harvard's MPH takes 2 years to complete (?) so you might have to wait until next cycle

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Those are both incredible programs, I didn't apply to either back when I was in your shoes so I can't offer much advice there but in terms of applying to medical school, I think Harvard's MPH takes 2 years to complete (?) so you might have to wait until next cycle
Hey! It takes 1.5 years and it looks from what I've seen online I can take some summer classes this year, so hopefully that resolves that + I'll talk more to admissions to see what can be done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes definitely talk to admissions. I think a 45 credit MPH might be more doable - that’s what I did before applying. I took 15 credits last summer and then 15 each in the fall and spring. With 65 it’ll be a bit more difficult because you’ll be cramming 65 into 3 semesters - you’d be taking 20+ credits each semester even if you start this summer which is a lot + add in a practicum and it becomes nearly impossible. Talk to admissions and explore your options. If the 65 isn’t all doable before you start med school they might allow you to take a leave of absence and come back to finish it. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
If you are looking at this mainly to improve your app for medical school, I am afraid that MPH programs will not be of any use to you

My mom had to choose between a Harvard MPH and a Stanford MPH. She picked Harvard. Her rationale is that Harvard MPH is better for a more community-based program, considering that the school is pretty much in the Roxbury neighborhood. If you were specializing in Epidemiology or Biostats, there could be more of a case for Stanford, but she say's Harvard's genetic epidemiology is quite cutting edge. She already had her MD, so that may have factored into her decision, but she says she would pick Harvard again if she had to choose.