Harvard Specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Audio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are they totally serious that they basically have a 100% matching rate for specialties? That's what I was told at my interview by staff and students. They said 9 students got ortho and that means 9 students applied! Same for endo, perio, etc... is this for real?

Also, 9 students in a class of 35 getting orth...DANG, compare that to UPenn and their class that's 3-4 times bigger!

I'm just in awe of how well respected Harvard is when it comes to specializing!

Members don't see this ad.

Audio said:
Are they totally serious that they basically have a 100% matching rate for specialties? That's what I was told at my interview by staff and students. They said 9 students got ortho and that means 9 students applied! Same for endo, perio, etc... is this for real?

Also, 9 students in a class of 35 getting orth...DANG, compare that to UPenn and their class that's 3-4 times bigger!

I have a friend that recently graduated from HSDM who said that in the last 3 years everyone has matched into their specialty with the exception of 3 people.

Audio said:

Hum....I don't think I will agree with you 100%.

What they provided us was a post-doctoral placement list. It seems like almost 100% of students specialize except 1. Although Harvard claims that they have 100% matching rate, I don't think I will be convinced by that. You will NEVER find out how many students REALLY wanted Ortho as their top choice.

Thus, it's good to know that pretty much everyone specialize, but not 100% matching rate. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
swanlake said:
Hum....I don't think I will agree with you 100%.

What they provided us was a post-doctoral placement list. It seems like almost 100% of students specialize except 1. Although Harvard claims that they have 100% matching rate, I don't think I will be convinced by that. You will NEVER find out how many students REALLY wanted Ortho as their top choice.

Thus, it's good to know that pretty much everyone specialize, but not 100% matching rate. :cool:

Yeah, but compare it to UPenn where you have 30 or so people who go into "private practice" and 10 every year who are "undecided" and then you have a bunch who do a general practice residency. 9 did ortho from Harvard, 10 did ortho from Penn....Harvard = 35 students, Penn = 116 students

That's an amazing comparison, especially considering Penn is one of the best schools out there.

I know it's not 100% who match into their first choice but it's pretty damn close and hey, i'd take ortho as a back up!

Audio said:
I know it's not 100% who match into their first choice but it's pretty damn close and hey, i'd take ortho as a back up!

I AGREE~~!!!! :smuggrin:

That is the reason why Harvard is worth all those loans, Most students get into the program of their choice after graduation. The 3 or 4 who go to an AEGD or GPR go by choice...

Audio said:
i'd take ortho as a back up!

Ortho as back up?? what is first choice then?? OMFS?

When I was interviewing, the people at Harvard said that 100% of people in past years have been accepted into the specialty of their choice, just not necessarily the school and location.

So yeah, crazy match rate!!!

Audio said:
That's an amazing comparison, especially considering Penn is one of the best schools out there.

Interesting conclusion...mind sharing how you came up with it?

In my opinion, you cant compare Harvard and Upenn since they are both Ivy, cause in the dental world its apples and oranges.

When Harvard says that most of its students specialize, they really mean it, and they give you the statistics to back it up. You can see that most of their class goes on to REAL specialities.

But at other schools such as UPenn and Columbia, many students who apply to specialities DONT GET IN.....which is why Im always confused on why people always think that these schools give you an edge. :confused:

Dr.BadVibes said:
Interesting conclusion...mind sharing how you came up with it?

In my opinion, you cant compare Harvard and Upenn since they are both Ivy, cause in the dental world its apples and oranges.

When Harvard says that most of its students specialize, they really mean it, and they give you the statistics to back it up. You can see that most of their class goes on to REAL specialities.

But at other schools such as UPenn and Columbia, many students who apply to specialities DONT GET IN.....which is why Im always confused on why people always think that these schools give you an edge. :confused:

I think most people on this board will agree that Penn is one of the top schools in the US. It's probably the most balanced school in that it provides a solid medical background with a pretty good clinical experience. I think they provide the best clinical experience out of the Ivy's. They give you balance and keep all doors open for you. In fact, they are probably the only Ivy that provides enough clinical experience to have a large portion of their graduates step into private practice after 4 years.

Audio said:
I think most people on this board will agree that Penn is one of the top schools in the US. It's probably the most balanced school in that it provides a solid medical background with a pretty good clinical experience. I think they provide the best clinical experience out of the Ivy's. They give you balance and keep all doors open for you. In fact, they are probably the only Ivy that provides enough clinical experience to have a large portion of their graduates step into private practice after 4 years.

Mind backing these claims with some evidence? Im not trying to be a dick here, but you did come to a very bold conclusion and by saying that people on a PRE-DENTAL board think its true doesnt really convince me.

Have you talked with any Philadelphia area dentists? I work with a Philadelphia pediatric dentist who also teaches parttime at Penn and they told me they would never hire a dentist at Penn cause their clinical is subpar. However, they did say their academics were top-notch and their students were very smart, but in the dental world, that doesnt earn you a living.

But I guess if you are comparing their clinical with Harvard or Columbia, than yah....its great....but that doesnt say much.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Mind backing these claims with some evidence? Im not trying to be a dick here, but you did come to a very bold conclusion and by saying that people on a PRE-DENTAL board think its true doesnt really convince me.

Have you talked with any Philadelphia area dentists? I work with a Philadelphia pediatric dentist who also teaches parttime at Penn and they told me they would never hire a dentist at Penn cause their clinical is subpar. However, they did say their academics were top-notch and their students were very smart, but in the dental world, that doesnt earn you a living.

But I guess if you are comparing their clinical with Harvard or Columbia, than yah....its great....but that doesnt say much.

I guess we everyone can agree that the best school in the city of Philly is Temple :rolleyes: I'm sure that's why they send 300 acceptances for 120 spots. Temple has a good clinical program...great...it's a drill and fill school. Trains strip mall dentists. That's great. General dentists are important and I would love to be one. But Penn, Harvard, Columbia, UCLA, UCSF, UCONN...these schools don't turn out dentists, they turn out leaders.

Since you seem to respect Harvard's program as one that prepares you well for a specialty, I'll tell you what my Harvard interviewer told me at my interview. I asked besides Harvard, which schools should I apply to. First school mentioned was Penn. Also, during the intro session and financial aid session, it was made clear to us that Penn was Harvard's #1 competiton for taking away top students. The point is that in the world of local dentists, it's easy for them to knock the Ivy's or UCLA or other strong programs.

Also, as a Penn grad, chances are that the student would complete a residency. You're telling me that after a GPR, a Penn student is still looked upon as being inferior to a Temple student. Give me a break!

I could post about the general perceptions about Temple but I don't have to. The fact that they send out more than 2 times more acceptance letters than seats in their class on Dec. 1 says a lot! But hey, I'm not knocking the program. It's just on a smaller scale.

I mean, let's look at Harvard. You have people saying Tufts and Bu are better than Harvard. THey are both good schools but come on people, let's be honest. #1 in Part 1 board scores almost ALWAYS. Near 100% match rate. But Harvard sucks cuz they don't have a sim lab or cuz you don't do wax ups. Let's be real. Look at the Deans of dental schools. Look at the profs. Look at people in power in the dental community. With 35 students a year, Harvard is VASTLY over-represented!

Audio said:
I guess we everyone can agree that the best school in the city of Philly is Temple :rolleyes: I'm sure that's why they send 300 acceptances for 120 spots. Temple has a good clinical program...great...it's a drill and fill school. Trains strip mall dentists. That's great. General dentists are important and I would love to be one. But Penn, Harvard, Columbia, UCLA, UCSF, UCONN...these schools don't turn out dentists, they turn out leaders.

Since you seem to respect Harvard's program as one that prepares you well for a specialty, I'll tell you what my Harvard interviewer told me at my interview. I asked besides Harvard, which schools should I apply to. First school mentioned was Penn. Also, during the intro session and financial aid session, it was made clear to us that Penn was Harvard's #1 competiton for taking away top students. The point is that in the world of local dentists, it's easy for them to knock the Ivy's or UCLA or other strong programs.

Also, as a Penn grad, chances are that the student would complete a residency. You're telling me that after a GPR, a Penn student is still looked upon as being inferior to a Temple student. Give me a break!

I could post about the general perceptions about Temple but I don't have to. The fact that they send out more than 2 times more acceptance letters than seats in their class on Dec. 1 says a lot! But hey, I'm not knocking the program. It's just on a smaller scale.

I mean, let's look at Harvard. You have people saying Tufts and Bu are better than Harvard. THey are both good schools but come on people, let's be honest. #1 in Part 1 board scores almost ALWAYS. Near 100% match rate. But Harvard sucks cuz they don't have a sim lab or cuz you don't do wax ups. Let's be real. Look at the Deans of dental schools. Look at the profs. Look at people in power in the dental community. With 35 students a year, Harvard is VASTLY over-represented!

Interesting post from a PREDENTAL student.....anyways, I took your post and posted it on DentalTown....Im interested to hear what real-life dentists feel about your post....

By the way..the president of the ADA came from Marquette. Was that one of your "drill and fill" schools, cause it wasnt one of your schools that supposedely develop leaders.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.BadVibes said:
Interesting post from a PREDENTAL student.....anyways, I took your post and posted it on DentalTown....Im interested to hear what real-life dentists feel about your post....

By the way..the president of the ADA came from Marquette. Was that one of your "drill and fill" schools, cause it wasnt one of your schools that supposedely develop leaders.

Ah Dr. BadVibes its been a year now and you'll still singing the same ole tune. You're like a broken record. YOu know I feel for ya man. It must be very tiring to have to constantly justify to yourself that you made the right choice in picking temple. Maybe you should try to transfer to columbia...maybe if you begged Dr. M might give you a chance....na prob not.

Audio said:
But Penn, Harvard, Columbia, UCLA, UCSF, UCONN...these schools don't turn out dentists, they turn out leaders.

Dang, for a pre-dent, you sure are disillusioned. :laugh: Guess I should take my state school DDS and sign myself up for the nearest strip mall. Without that Ivy/UC school stamp on my transcript, being a leader is definitely out of the question.

FYI, almost all the dentists (and that includes some very "powerful" and wealthy ones) I meet here in NYC went to NYU. Most dentists & patients, assume I also went to NYU until I say I went to school on the other side of the state.

Oh wait, isn't my lowly state school alma mater the one you're still waiting to hear from for an interview?

Dr. Marc Balson, president of the Association of Endodontics is a graduate from New York University.

Dr. Robert Weyant, president of the American Association of Public Health Dentistry is a graduate from University of Pittsburgh

Dr. Jay P. Malmquist, president of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons is a graduate from the University of Oregon

Dr. Kenneth A. Krebs, president of the American Association of Periodontology is a graduate from the University of Louisville

Dr. Bruce G. Valauri, president of the American Association of Prosthodontics is a graduate from New York University

Dr. Kenneth Abramovitch, president of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology is a graduate from the University of Houston Texas

Its funny how none of these dental leaders went to schools that appear on your so-called dental schools that produce "leaders" :confused:

griffin04 said:
Dang, for a pre-dent, you sure are disillusioned. :laugh: Guess I should take my state school DDS and sign myself up for the nearest strip mall. Without that Ivy/UC school stamp on my transcript, being a leader is definitely out of the question.

FYI, almost all the dentists (and that includes some very "powerful" and wealthy ones) I meet here in NYC went to NYU. Most dentists & patients, assume I also went to NYU until I say I went to school on the other side of the state.

Oh wait, isn't my lowly state school alma mater the one you're still waiting to hear from for an interview?

I think Buffalo is a great school. I'd pick it over Harvard, Penn..whatever. And to be fair, I haven't been interviewed mainly due to my international status. If I were a NY resident, I'm sure you'd agree that I would have probably been interviewed by now. This isn't a state vs. private school thing. This is in response to a temple student knocking a pretty damn good school out of the blue. I don't get why people can't accept that Penn and Harvard and even Columbia are great schools that will provide you with a unique education and lots of great opportunities. It's not like I got on here and started knocking the so-called "clinical" schools. I would love to be a general dentist. But it seems like most people are either in love with the Ivy's or in love with the "clinical" schools. I think both are great and you should go to the one that is right for you.

If I want to get out and practice in 4 years, I wouldn't go to Harvard or Penn, I'd go to Temple, Buffalo, Pacifc (3 years). Every school is a good school for each individual. That's why it's sad that people bash other schools.

Oh well, Congratulations on graduating from Buffalo. I'm sure you're a great dentist.

It's just sad to see people so defensive about their choices. If you like Temple, hey, go for it. Don't need to come on the board and bash other schools because they provide students with a different opportunity that Temple.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Dr. Marc Balson, president of the Association of Endodontics is a graduate from New York University.

Dr. Robert Weyant, president of the American Association of Public Health Dentistry is a graduate from University of Pittsburgh

Dr. Jay P. Malmquist, president of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons is a graduate from the University of Oregon

Dr. Kenneth A. Krebs, president of the American Association of Periodontology is a graduate from the University of Louisville

Dr. Bruce G. Valauri, president of the American Association of Prosthodontics is a graduate from New York University

Dr. Kenneth Abramovitch, president of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology is a graduate from the University of Houston Texas

Its funny how none of these dental leaders went to schools that appear on your so-called dental schools that produce "leaders" :confused:

I'm sure that it would be easy to come up with a list of Harvard, Penn, Columbia, UCLA, UCSF, UCONN, etc dental grads who hold high positions. Will I do that? I don't have time but I think if you're mature about it, you can agree that these schools have their fair share of "leaders"!

Audio said:
It's just sad to see people so defensive about their choices. If you like Temple, hey, go for it. Don't need to come on the board and bash other schools because they provide students with a different opportunity that Temple.

FOr the record, I never brought Temple into the discussion and I never ONCE claimed that TEmple was the best.....actually I think there are TONS of schools out there that are better than Temple that I would rather goto. I was just very confused on how you came to your initial conclusions....thats all.

Audio said:
I'm sure that it would be easy to come up with a list of Harvard, Penn, Columbia, UCLA, UCSF, UCONN, etc dental grads who hold high positions. Will I do that? I don't have time but I think if you're mature about it, you can agree that these schools have their fair share of "leaders"!

If you were "mature" about it from the beginning, you'd agree that ANY dental school will produce their fair share of "leaders".....strange you are talking to me about maturity when you claim that drill and fill schools create "strip mall dentists".....I love it when people's true colours start to show....dude, with your attitude, you deserve to be at an Ivy League school. You probably think you're god in Canada cause you graduated from UofT.

freedyx3 said:
Ah Dr. BadVibes its been a year now and you'll still singing the same ole tune. You're like a broken record. YOu know I feel for ya man. It must be very tiring to have to constantly justify to yourself that you made the right choice in picking temple. Maybe you should try to transfer to columbia...maybe if you begged Dr. M might give you a chance....na prob not.

Freddyboy!! Long time no see....I missed ya!!

My friends from Holland are coming down in January and we're going to NYC for a weekend.....care to show us around? Ill also be in NYC at the end of January to hang out with a bunch of Canadian law students doing a tour of the New York City law scene. That means Ill be in NYC twice next month! We gotta go for a drink at least buddy! What do you say?

Dr.BadVibes said:
FOr the record, I never brought Temple into the discussion and I never ONCE claimed that TEmple was the best.....actually I think there are TONS of schools out there that are better than Temple that I would rather goto. I was just very confused on how you came to your initial conclusions....thats all.

Penn has one of the top match rates. At most schools, the top 5 or 10% specialize. At Penn, it's a lot more, maybe around 30%. That's the edge people talk about.

You can look at my sig and see I got into Penn. That's not why I'm saying it's a top school. I'll tell you right now that I would go to Harvard in a heart beat and I'd go to Buffalo even faster. Not to mention a lot of other great state schools that won't accept me cuz I'm Canadian. There are 50 or so dental schools in the US, I'd put Penn in the top 10. I don't think that's a crazy thing to say. I think many people would say that is a reasonable opinion and even if they don't agree with me, at least they can say I'm not being crazy and ranking the worst school in the states way up there.

Audio said:
I think many people would say that is a reasonable opinion and even if they don't agree with me, at least they can say I'm not being crazy and ranking the worst school in the states way up there.

I still call you crazy, because I still dont know how you come up with your conclusions. As far as I know, there arent any rankings of dental schools (unless Im wrong), so Im still confused.

Dr.BadVibes said:
You probably think you're god in Canada cause you graduated from UofT.

Dang, for the amount of work we have to do at this frickin' school you would think the least we deserve from U of T is some form of deification or apotheosis? Since this "not being gods" thing is news to me, I guess I'd better hold out on that day bed I ordered so that I could lounge around and have hot girls feed me grapes all day. :D

I think the U of T kids should try to get along. I'll start...uhh how about those Varsity Blues (yah right :p).

lestat12 said:
Dang, for the amount of work we have to do at this frickin' school you would think the least we deserve from U of T is some form of deification or apotheosis? Since this "not being gods" thing is news to me, I guess I'd better hold out on that day bed I ordered so that I could lounge around and have hot girls feed me grapes all day. :D

I think the U of T kids should try to get along. I'll start...uhh how about those Varsity Blues (yah right :p).

I graduated from UofT, so I know what about the hard work you are talking about, but guess what. Every other undergrad is just as hard. UofT students are usually the top students from high school, so when they come to UofT and dont get the same marks, they bitch, whine and cry and create all the scapegoats they can....such as they blame UofT for being so hard.

I hated being at UofT and having everyone think they were the best in the world. Most of the students there made me sick. Im so glad to get out of that school and never have anything to do with it anymore.

Dr.BadVibes said:
I still call you crazy, because I still dont know how you come up with your conclusions. As far as I know, there arent any rankings of dental schools (unless Im wrong), so Im still confused.

They have good match rates, they have a lot of research going on at the school. They do well on the boards. Penn is an overall good school. It's my opinion from what I've seen and heard that I'd get a good education there. Since I'm not in dental school and I can't visit every school, I'll never know. The important thing is that I view Penn as providing me with a lot of opportunities. For example, I don't know if I want to specialize or not so the fact that they have a relatively high specialty rate appeals to me. But, many of their students go straight into private practice and when I visited, I saw that the clinics were very busy.

Conclusion: go to a school that makes you happy so you don't come on the board for years and bash Columbia ;) :p Whatever that school is go to it. Forget about what others think.

Honestly, if I go into Western Dental, I'd go there over any school in the states. That's because it's the best for me, not because I think Western is better than Harvard, Penn, or Temple.

Dr.BadVibes said:
I graduated from UofT, so I know what about the hard work you are talking about, but guess what. Every other undergrad is just as hard. UofT students are usually the top students from high school, so when they come to UofT and dont get the same marks, they bitch, whine and cry and create all the scapegoats they can....such as they blame UofT for being so hard.

Oh, well. I think most people have a love/hate relationship with the school. It's tough, but it's a good school that's known world-wide. I don't think most people blame the school for being hard and I agree that you're right a lot of the difficulty hast to do with the amount of competition here. But that said, there are definetely easier schools here in Canada, regardless of what you believe. It's a pretty analogous situation to comparing UCLA with some school like University of Colorado-Boulder or University of Western Washington (both of which I might add are fun places to be regardless of reputation!).

Best schools in Canada IMO: UofT, McGill, Waterloo, Queens, UBC and MAYBE UofA.
Other schools which are good, but IMHO easier and/or not as reputable IMO: pretty much the rest.

You said it yourself once - U of T is the #1 school in Canada and has been for god knows how long and I will go so far as to say the others I listed have been in the top top for equally as long. The best students simply gravitate to those "best schools". I was joking about the entire deification thing. I don't know anyone who considers themselves better because of going to this school. It's is definetely acknowledged especially her in academic circles that this is the place to be; however, I'd say most people I know at this school despite being fairly competitive are paradoxically on a personal level, quite humble and personable. I don't know what social circles you swung with while here, but I think its overplayed that people here are so stuck on their academics that they won't take some time off to have a little fun. I don't know, maybe I just like to make the best of what others might consider a bad situation (it really isn't though). I love Toronto, but I would hardly try to define myself by the school I go to and I doubt Audio does either. That said, if you had to go to school elsewhere in Canada, where would you go? From what I can tell, you wouldn't like any of the other schools I mentioned if you hated it here. So what would it be Western, Guelph, Trent? I don't know man, sounds like you wasted four years of what are usually the best years of one's life if you hate the school so much.

Also that said, no hard feelings BadVibes, I interviewed at Temple and I thought it seemed like a pretty decent school - people were nice, facilities seemed alright, etc. etc. This all despite the often hilarious interview feedbacks. I love the new one about Brian Hahn being "a womanizer and drug addict". Where the heck did they get that. He seemed like a pretty cool guy to me.

But this post is off topic and I digress, so Audio, good luck I hope you get into Harvard. Or if you choose Penn that should be good too. They both sounds pretty good from the other threads I've read. :D

lestat12 said:
Dr.BadVibes said:

Oh, well. I think most people have a love/hate relationship with the school. It's tough, but it's a good school that's known world-wide. I don't think most people blame the school for being hard and I agree that you're right a lot of the difficulty hast to do with the amount of competition here. But that said, there are definetely easier schools here in Canada, regardless of what you believe. It's a pretty analogous situation to comparing UCLA with some school like University of Colorado-Boulder or University of Western Washington (both of which I might add are fun places to be regardless of reputation!).

Best schools in Canada IMO: UofT, McGill, Waterloo, Queens, UBC and MAYBE UofA.
Other schools which are good, but IMHO easier and/or not as reputable IMO: pretty much the rest.

You said it yourself once - U of T is the #1 school in Canada and has been for god knows how long and I will go so far as to say the others I listed have been in the top top for equally as long. The best students simply gravitate to those "best schools". I was joking about the entire deification thing. I don't know anyone who considers themselves better because of going to this school. It's is definetely acknowledged especially her in academic circles that this is the place to be; however, I'd say most people I know at this school despite being fairly competitive are paradoxically on a personal level, quite humble and personable. I don't know what social circles you swung with while here, but I think its overplayed that people here are so stuck on their academics that they won't take some time off to have a little fun. I don't know, maybe I just like to make the best of what others might consider a bad situation (it really isn't though). I love Toronto, but I would hardly try to define myself by the school I go to and I doubt Audio does either. That said, if you had to go to school elsewhere in Canada, where would you go? From what I can tell, you wouldn't like any of the other schools I mentioned if you hated it here. So what would it be Western, Guelph, Trent? I don't know man, sounds like you wasted four years of what are usually the best years of one's life if you hate the school so much.

Also that said, no hard feelings BadVibes, I interviewed at Temple and I thought it seemed like a pretty decent school - people were nice, facilities seemed alright, etc. etc. This all despite the often hilarious interview feedbacks. I love the new one about Brian Hahn being "a womanizer and drug addict". Where the heck did they get that. He seemed like a pretty cool guy to me.

But this post is off topic and I digress, so Audio, good luck I hope you get into Harvard. Or if you choose Penn that should be good too. They both sounds pretty good from the other threads I've read. :D

Thanks lestat12. If it interests you, I was complimented in my Harvard interview for attending UofT. I was told that UofT carries a great reputation at Harvard for providing an excellent science background to its undergrads. It also doesn't surprise me that I met some UofT students at Harvard Dental - pretty amazing when you think how small their class is and how they can pick from the best of the best. It seems like every year, they have 1 or 2 UofT students. This was also the case at Penn where I met a few of them as well.

PS I was told UofT undergrad is harder than Harvard dental/med :D

Audio:

You mind telling me what you know about Nova Southeastern University? I heard from many that it's much better than Harvard! I'm thinking about applying there next year, god, I hope they accept me!

I heard that all male dental students have 100% getting laid rate, too bad we can't say that about Harvard male dental students! :laugh:

Wouldn't go to Harvard if they gave me a full ride!

Yah-E said:
Audio:

You mind telling me what you know about Nova Southeastern University? I heard from many that it's much better than Harvard! I'm thinking about applying there next year, god, I hope they accept me!

I heard that all male dental students have 100% getting laid rate, too bad we can't say that about Harvard male dental students! :laugh:

Wouldn't go to Harvard if they gave me a full ride!

I know that if going to Nova makes you happy, then that's great. I've also heard they have nice facilities and are a good school :)