Harvard = Sweet!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mithridates

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I arrived here in Boston about two weeks ago for first year dental medicine at Harvard, and let me tell all you new applicants - it hasn't been at all like I heard from certain pre-dents/dents and some posts on sources like 'Dental School Interview Feedback.' Students here in the medical and dental school are so down to earth and friendly - I've already made so many good friends, and I honestly haven't met one person that I would consider stuck up or snobby. Some had told me that the students and faculty they met on their interviews were arrogant. In retrospect, I think the people who told me that had already decided that it was truth before their interviews. I think you find things when you're expecting them, even when they're not there. I had also heard that the dental students here are kinda like second class citizens to the medical students. That's not the case at all! The dental school is the medical school, and the medical school is the dental school. It's weird, but the distinction isn't really made - so cool! Another thing I had read in
the interview feedbacks is that the dental school facilities are garbage - oh man, that's so incorrect I couldn't even begin to tell you!

My advice to all you new applicants is to listen to yourself the most; others, not so much. My other piece of advice - apply to the schools you want to go to, even if you think you'll never get in. I never thought I'd get into Harvard with my modest GPA (I had one brutal year in undergrad). But from my experience: you have a shot at the most competetive schools if you have over a 3.3 GPA, above average DAT scores, and you're passionate about dentistry and life. Harvard rocks, and even though I've only been here for a couple of weeks, I would recommend it to anyone for dental school. Apply!

Good Luck Class of 2009 Applicants!

~ Tonto ~

Members don't see this ad.

Glad you're enjoying it, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the interview feedback is garbage. There will always be extremes posting there, and the final burden is always upon the applicant to do their own homework, but the feedback does provide some initial ballpark information about various programs.

Let us know how it goes as you get into the thick of things.

Congrats! Good Luck on your first year! oh yeah... WELCOME to Town!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinC said:
but I wouldn't go so far as to say the interview feedback is garbage.

I didn't mean the interview feedback is garbage. There is one post in which the person says 'the dental facilities at hsdm are garbage.' I disagree, big time. And yes, Boston rocks!

The better boston based dental school is Tufts... see it yourself.

I LOVE Boston..

but I wouldn't want to live there... too much of a florida girl... I don't think I'd survive a Boston winter...

does it get hot in boston in the summer?

justletmein said:
does it get hot in boston in the summer?

I went to Boston once on vacation in late August. It was quite warm while I was there. I have to agree, a very nice city.

Mithridates said:
I didn't mean the interview feedback is garbage. There is one post in which the person says 'the dental facilities at hsdm are garbage.'

They ARE. The medical facilities are fine, but the ones solely set aside for dentistry are absolutely horrid.

ItsGavinC said:
They ARE. The medical facilities are fine, but the ones solely set aside for dentistry are absolutely horrid.

guess we know who posted that feedback! :D

joke only...joke only...

busdriver said:
guess we know who posted that feedback! :D

joke only...joke only...

Heh, and a fine joke at that, but I've never interviewed there. But seriously, I have a D1 friend there who says they are going to rebuild much of the dental school.

The labs ARE from another era.

The new labs are opening in a month, so we will be the first class to be able to use the brand new facilities all four years if we want! Anyway, I just want to second the enthusiasm of Mithridates for HSDM! So far, everything has been unbelievable. I love the problem-based-learning approach that is complemented with the traditional lectures. It really makes things so much more comprehensive. Instead of sitting in lectures all day, we actually get a chance to interact with our classmates and discuss real cases. It makes learning the material much more fun because you discuss what sorts of things are important for you to learn in order to diagnose and treat your patient. Anyway, if any of the applicants for class of 2009 want to know anymore about pbl or HSDM, feel free to pm me....I am always excited to give whatever feedback I can! Good luck to all of you!

KMF said:
The new labs are opening in a month, so we will be the first class to be able to use the brand new facilities all four years if we want! Anyway, I just want to second the enthusiasm of Mithridates for HSDM! So far, everything has been unbelievable. I love the problem-based-learning approach that is complemented with the traditional lectures. It really makes things so much more comprehensive. Instead of sitting in lectures all day, we actually get a chance to interact with our classmates and discuss real cases. It makes learning the material much more fun because you discuss what sorts of things are important for you to learn in order to diagnose and treat your patient. Anyway, if any of the applicants for class of 2009 want to know anymore about pbl or HSDM, feel free to pm me....I am always excited to give whatever feedback I can! Good luck to all of you!

KMF - you're a hottie! Dump your boy, you and I should make out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mithridates said:

wow...so shameless....good thing you guys have the next 4 years together. :laugh: but i will vouch for mithridates and agree that KMF is a hottie. how do i know? well, i THINK you were in the same interview group as me in columbia last year....i remember you asking if there was anyone else on SDN there...

True, I have no shame! But I don't really want to make out with KMF - we're just good friends. Plus she has a boyfriend, Rinaldo, who's a solid guy - I can vouch for that!

What KMF said about the new labs is very true - we've got all new stuff opening up in less than a month. Harvard may have had poor dental facilities before, but this is no more. I think all you dental applicants should apply to Harvard! Good Luck!

Did anyone see the apprentice tonight?! I missed it!!!

If Harvard ever likes under 3.0 students let me know. I will jump on board. :D

I too just started at Harvard and it has been really incredible! I have met some really amazingly interesting, smart, down-to-earth and humble people! It's been so terrific and I am really really happy that I chose to go to come here. I've been meeting people left and right who are offering to loan me their old books and give me advice...it's really amazing how friendly everybody here is!

And I definitely agree with Mithridates that the faculty and the rest of the students definitely don't make the distinction of the dental students as "second class citizens"...in fact, during our human body lecture today the prof even said to the class that the dental students work harder than the med students!

All in all, i'm extremely happy here and if anybody wants someone to show them around the campus or answer questions, definitely feel free to PM me.

Good luck with interviews and applications, everyone!

I'm glad you are all enjoying your first block. Congrats once again and have an awesome year..Let me know anytime if you have any questions.

Oh yeaahhh! I'm so happy to see Bcat, ckow, and KMF representin' on student doctor network. Who else is out there from Harvard?!

Booze Cruise Saturday night - I'm there!!

I'm very sorry to report that the 'Booze Cruise' should have really been called the 'Five Dollar Can of Beer Cruise.'

Mithridates said:

Ohhhh:confused:

Wowwwww :rolleyes:

Hmmmmm ;)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :smuggrin:

That's a very open statement, you are a brave man, P :thumbup:

grr123 said:
Ohhhh:confused:

Wowwwww :rolleyes:

Hmmmmm ;)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :smuggrin:

That's a very open statement, you are a brave man, P :thumbup:

Hmm, grr123? I know KMF and ckow, but I have absolutely no idea who you are - you know who I am though (argh!). I think I like your style; I looked up your posts, and I like some of the things you've said (esp. about tufts). I'd like to try and ask around who you are, but I think that might be difficult - you must come talk with me. And yes, I am the bravest man in first year dental. :cool: & thanks for keeping my harvard = sweet thread alive.

Mithridates said:
Hmm, grr123? I know KMF and ckow, but I have absolutely no idea who you are - you know who I am though (argh!). I think I like your style; I looked up your posts, and I like some of the things you've said (esp. about tufts). I'd like to try and ask around who you are, but I think that might be difficult - you must come talk with me. And yes, I am the bravest man in first year dental. :cool: & thanks for keeping my harvard = sweet thread alive.

Oh, I am so sad. I told you who I was at the dental reception a week ago :(
but okay, I guess I am forgotten already :scared:

Since I don't want to publish my name here, I am going to give you a very easy hint. I am a very nice young lady, but my last name often gives people the impression that I am a boy :)

Mo007 said:
Way Overpriced! One statistic I saw stated about $14,000 more than Harvard! If I had a choice of only Tufts and Harvard, I wouldn't even have to think twice, and I'd choose Harvard.

Mo007 said:

How so? Please do tell ;)

KMF said:

Hey! You must know Estee, then...sweet gal. I've got an interview at HSDM on Oct 27th and I'm curious to see what the school is really like. To your best discernment, how does the student body compare to other schools?

tabbycattia said:
Way Overpriced! One statistic I saw stated about $14,000 more than Harvard! If I had a choice of only Tufts and Harvard, I wouldn't even have to think twice, and I'd choose Harvard.

Here is the actual budget breakdown between the two schools, per year:

Harvard: 49,554 58,982 57,790 54,944
Tufts: 68,902 71,647 68,017 61,757

Diff: 19,348 12,665 10,227 6,813

For a total difference of: $49,000.

Yes, I know Estee.... she's awesome! The student body here is pretty unique. A lot of people have done some pretty amazing things prior to coming here, which I find really interesting. Everyone seems to have something different to bring to the table. I am impressed that with only 35 students, there seems to be a lot of variety - different backgrounds, perspectives, skills, etc. One of the main things about the student body that I think is pretty important is the lack of competition amongst students. The fact that there is no ranking or grades really creates a unique environment here. People really want to help each other out. With 35 people, you also get to know your classmates very well very quickly and you have an automatically built-in support group. Anyway, I'm sure you will be able to see how close everyone is when you get here for your interview. I think I will actually be leading one the tours that day, so I may get to meet you. Good luck! I'm sure you will do great at your interview.

I know its off topic but can some of you fine harvard folks write down your stats.

I've had a recent interest in Dental schools and am wondering how i match up and if i should even bother to apply at all or not. Thanks

My GPA was: 3.7 and my DAT was: 23AA/20PAT

I would really stress not looking at numbers too much though. Figure out what programs you like the most and apply to those. You never know where you will get in.

Leonine said:
I know its off topic but can some of you fine harvard folks write down your stats.

I've had a recent interest in Dental schools and am wondering how i match up and if i should even bother to apply at all or not. Thanks

KMF said:
My GPA was: 3.7 and my DAT was: 23AA/20PAT

I would really stress not looking at numbers too much though. Figure out what programs you like the most and apply to those. You never know where you will get in.

any idea about advanced graduate education at Harvard. any idea on the number of applicants for age program esp prosthodontics. any info on number of Ph.D. graduates in each department?

Ive heard there is a fairly large international committee. can you tell me if there is any allocation of that sort.

Do i have a chance for AGE program in Prosthodontics my UG GPA at overseas dental school is 4.0. I do have a two research projects at hand, worked as a tutor etc.

i actually never planned this but now i want to bee there more than anywhere else. Keeping my fingers crossed.

any way thank you for your help (in advance)

To all current Harvard Dental students:
What are the pros/cons of the Harvard program (be honest)? Basically, what sets Harvard apart from every other school? I am trying to gather as much info as possible, so any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Pros:

First two years with Med School...lots of good friends, amazing professors
Pass/Fail
Awesome PBL Curriculum
2-3 weeks off before boards
Tons of community service opportunities
No class ranking
Funding for anyone to go international 3 months for research or service
One class at a time
Guaranteed same chair 6hrs every day in clinic
Comprehensive patient care
Can take class at any other Harvard school ( Harvard Law or Business etc.) at no cost. I took a language class at Harvard Undergrad last year...it was awesome
>100 clubs and student groups
Very laid back
Wireless internet...for those boring lectures
Free lunches 2-3 times a week

Cons:
34,000$ tuition + boston living expenses
No pre-clin until end of 2nd year
Traditional NERB rather than CIF NERB
Boston Winters
Outdated Pre-clin lab...will be updated for class of 2008...maybe '07

Anyway, I just threw out some random things that came to mind. If you have questions about anything specifically, just ask. If you are in Boston and would like to check out the school for yourself and talk to more students let me know.

That was great info, thanks a ton. I do have a couple other questions though. I am a Minnesota resident, and unfamiliar with the area. What has been your (or anyones) experience with living situation? What is the scoop on Vanderbilt Hall? Would you recommend off-campus living? How is transportation? I have heard that Boston is a great city, anyone care to comment?

Maybe some other HSDM-ers can tell you about Vandy living...I just play basketball and tennis there! Public transportation will get you anywhere in and around Boston. You definitely don't need a car unless you want to get out of town often. Living anywhere in Boston is expensive. I would recommend Vandy for at least first year, so you can get a feel for the city and what part you want to live in 2nd-4th year...some people stay in vandy all 4 years too. Boston itself is awesome... great food, museums, parks, diverse population, RED SOX, etc... The worst thing is the winter...