Harvard, TikTok, and mental health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calimich

Associate Professor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard whispers of this during my southern cal trip. A very interesting read

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
"mental health" social media: a place where no one will ever challenge you but continue to enable ALL of your maladaptive behavioral and thinking patterns with full validation and support. The more maladaptive the better!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
"mental health" social media: a place where no one will ever challenge you but continue to enable ALL of your maladaptive behavioral and thinking patterns with full validation and support. The more maladaptive the better!

Welcome to the Age of Fragility!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, that article is kind of depressing. I think Harvard had the right idea, but it sounds like there is just too much misinformation and other factors to overcome (like wanting to get the most clicks). I'm impressed by how many comments on the original NYT article are unimipressed by TikTok mental health influencers, at least.

Reactions: 2 users
how about this one? does it work for others?

That one works for me.

Skimmed through the article, reading some parts more closely than others for the moment. The idea seems decent or even necessary, given the misinformation prevalent on the platform. Going with influences/creators instead of trying to create their own account and gain traction with it (or at least in addition to that route) may be a more efficient strategy.

But agreed with cara that it seems like there's just too much misinformation to battle.

Last edited:
It reminds me of the initiatives to train local community leaders to help create more organic connections to mental health.