Harvard vs. Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physiologyguy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted at Cornell and really liked Harvard as well. If accepted to Harvard, this will be a terribly hard decision? Pros and cons? Opinions? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

how about you actually get accepted to harvard first? there's an idea.

I have been accepted at Cornell and really liked Harvard as well. If accepted to Harvard, this will be a terribly hard decision? Pros and cons? Opinions? Thoughts?

That is a great dilema to have. I would love to be in your shoes right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I think this question is premature...

That said, I didn't like either school. Both places seemed to have an elitist attitude that I couldn't stand. I'll probably get rejected anyway, so it's a moot point.

Is you serious with this?

Harvard.

So about 25% of people that interview at Harvard get accepted. So in the event that that is me, then it is useful to be prepared. If it isn't me, I go to Cornell with no worries. Thanks for the useful comments though user "08675309".

*blink* i thought cornell made its decisions in march?

When it comes down to a decision like this, it's always personal. We can't really help you with this decision because both schools are excellent and the choice comes down to that of personal preference. Which location do you like better? Which one suits your primary interest better?

If accepted into both, go to both second look weekends and make your decision based on that. Congratulations, and good luck! :luck:

woah woah woah woah woah woah.......woah....woah....................woah.....

hold on a second.

seriously now. lets be reasonable. wouldnt it be harder to decide between cornell vs. drexel?

Relax, everyone. This is a legitimate question. I think lots of people would have trouble with this decision.

OP, maybe you should refrain from asking this until you actually get into Harvard. Perhaps this is why you encoutnered some snarky responses, although I think there is just an elevated level of snarkiness around here sometimes.

I don't know enough about both schools so I can't offer any more than this somewhat obvious advice - if you're lucky enough to get into both, don't let prestige play a factor. The difference between the schools is negligible for anything you want to do career-wise. Location and curriculum would be things to consider. Also, try emailing the current students you encountered on the tour. A lot of them probably had to make similar decisions and may be able to give you some insight into how to do it.

I have this same problem only I'm trying to decide between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari. Any suggestions??

Members don't see this ad :)
Get accepted to Harvard first, then think about it. 25% isn't that high and at this point, they don't choose people based on stats, but rather what would make a diverse class. It's a crapshoot for anyone who gets past the interview.

Also, when more than 80% of the people that get accepted to Harvard actually choose to go there, I think it's safe to say most people don't have this problem. I have encountered a few individuals on my interview travels that chose not to go there, and they generally did so out of personal reasons (avoid long-distance relationship with significant other, don't like the Harvard ego, friends weren't happy there, etc.) Both schools and cities are amazing, so make it a personal decision.

I'm pretty money-minded, so I looked at the finances for Harvard.

It looks bleak. $40k/year tuition and then probably another $20k/year for living and other expenses (maybe not as generous as you think considering the cost of living in Boston).

You can only pull out $8500 max for subsidized loans (unless you are disadvantaged). Another $18500 comes from the government as unsubsidized loans. Both of these have a max interest rate of 8.25% and I believe it is starting at 6.8% right now. The unsubsidized loan starts accruing interest at the date of the loan, and the subsidized loan starts accruing interest the day your deferment ends (after medical school due to new legislation passed that stops deferment during residency).

So, the remaining $33k/year you have to make up for. Schools have their own loans they give; Harvard does have an automatic needs based scholarship, but face it, most of us come from the middle to upper middle class; we won't qualify despite how thin our income is stretched. Also, there is no telling how high the interest rates will be on these private loans or when interest accrual starts.

I have only crudely worked out the finances, but Harvard seems absolutely ridiculously expensive considering the additional loans you will have to get.

To those berating the OP for posting before getting an acceptance: Harvard gives out its acceptances in March, why would you wait that long to think about what you would do with multiple acceptances? It's all about initiative my friends.

So about 25% of people that interview at Harvard get accepted. So in the event that that is me, then it is useful to be prepared. If it isn't me, I go to Cornell with no worries. Thanks for the useful comments though user "08675309".

The grammar in your MDApp says it all

Harvard University - "Loved this place!"

Note use of past tense

Cornell University - "Love this place! Accepted Dec 20!! Here or Harvard"

Note use of present tense.

I think you already know the answer to your question.

Also, I haven't applied yet but I wanted to know guys. Harvard vs Stanford vs UCSF vs Mayo vs Baylor. I hear like all of them have between a 5-10% acceptance rate. I want to be proactive and prepared in case I get accepted to them all.

It looks bleak. $40k/year tuition and then probably another $20k/year for living and other expenses (maybe not as generous as you think considering the cost of living in Boston).

You can only pull out $8500 max for subsidized loans (unless you are disadvantaged). Another $18500 comes from the government as unsubsidized loans. Both of these have a max interest rate of 8.25% and I believe it is starting at 6.8% right now. The unsubsidized loan starts accruing interest at the date of the loan, and the subsidized loan starts accruing interest the day your deferment ends (after medical school due to new legislation passed that stops deferment during residency).

So, the remaining $33k/year you have to make up for. Schools have their own loans they give; Harvard does have an automatic needs based scholarship, but face it, most of us come from the middle to upper middle class; we won't qualify despite how thin our income is stretched. Also, there is no telling how high the interest rates will be on these private loans or when interest accrual starts.

I have only crudely worked out the finances, but Harvard seems absolutely ridiculously expensive considering the additional loans you will have to get.

To those berating the OP for posting before getting an acceptance: Harvard gives out its acceptances in March, why would you wait that long to think about what you would do with multiple acceptances? It's all about initiative my friends.

Well I'm in the same position as the OP (accepted to Cornell, interviewed at Harvard), but I'm not thinking about it until March. I don't want to waste my thoughts on a decision I may not have to make. Thinking about it now isn't going to really help me that much anyway, since I will need to attend second-look weekends to decide (which is a little unfortunate because Cornell's second look weekend is so late).

As far as financial aid is concerned, both schools have a unit loan that is part of the financial aid package (Cornell's is about $24,000 IIRC). Aren't the unit loans completely subsidized? ($8500 Stafford, the rest being institutional loans?) If you need loans in excess of the unit loan, the excess loans are unsubsidized. I was just reading about Cornell's last night, but I need to look it up again later. I get the feeling that the financial aid packages at both schools will be similar since neither school gives merit aid.

Umm he's comparing Cornell to Harvard. Cornell's tuition is also $40k and living expenses are projected at $20k. Living in NYC is certainly not any cheaper than living in Boston.

OP, Harvard >> Cornell. But I didn't like Cornell when I interviewed there. Really the only thing going for the school, other than it's name, is the fact that it's in NYC.

my bad folks, that was a bit silly to consider my future and my options...haha, what a strange group of folks on this board.

if i dont get into harvard life goes on, no worries...

interesting to hear about what turned you off to cornell diosa...

Oh! I know! Ask the opinions of complete strangers that probably haven't interviewed at both campuses and know absolutely nothing about what you're looking for in a school.

That's how I'd decide.

I'll second that. I have no experience with Cornell outside interview day and second look weekend, but Harvard is an amazing experience. I say experience because a lot of what makes it great is surrounding yourself with incredible, diverse classmates and a faculty that is both unbelievably well spoken and interesting and simultaneously very accomplished. Being around both of them challenges me on daily basis to be a better person and a better doctor. Add to this a pass/fail completely non-competitive environment and a very social class, and you've got a wonderful experience. HMS has helped me develop into a more intellectual, passionate, and mature person. Ultimately, the choice is obviously yours, but you really can't go wrong with Harvard.

Cornell really isn't that great. The PBL only is not the best method of teaching, and their board scores reflect it.

On the other hand, one of my interviewers at Harvard said to me something very interesting: Harvard is like Paris. It's beautiful and old, and it has the best of everything. There are a million things to see and do. But the only thing one cannot do there is be noticed...so make of that what you will.

how about you actually get accepted to harvard first? there's an idea.

I AGREE COMPLETELY!!!!!!

A lot of top tier candidates who interview there don't get accepted. Just look at the past few years of Harvard threads.

I AGREE COMPLETELY!!!!!!

A lot of top tier candidates who interview there don't get accepted. Just look at the past few years of Harvard threads.

Simply put: I disagree completely.

It doesn't hurt to ponder a possible future option. No harm, no foul in dreaming, right? If he doesn't get in, then obviously he is going to Cornell. Nevertheless, if he manages to acquire an acceptance to Harvard, then he is already 2 steps ahead of the game.

However, I am not sure how much information can be ascertained through SDN. Therefore, use the little information presented in this thread in addition other people's rationales for choosing one of the two, and then do some more investigation on your own.

At the end of day, I hope you are one of the lucky few who has the option to choose between two great schoools. Goodluck :)

I'd say, if you get into both, go to both second-look weekends and meet your future classmates. That might give you a better idea.

Well I'm in the same position as the OP (accepted to Cornell, interviewed at Harvard), but I'm not thinking about it until March. I don't want to waste my thoughts on a decision I may not have to make. Thinking about it now isn't going to really help me that much anyway, since I will need to attend second-look weekends to decide (which is a little unfortunate because Cornell's second look weekend is so late).

As far as financial aid is concerned, both schools have a unit loan that is part of the financial aid package (Cornell's is about $24,000 IIRC). Aren't the unit loans completely subsidized? ($8500 Stafford, the rest being institutional loans?) If you need loans in excess of the unit loan, the excess loans are unsubsidized. I was just reading about Cornell's last night, but I need to look it up again later. I get the feeling that the financial aid packages at both schools will be similar since neither school gives merit aid.

Those extra loans are need-based from what I remember. I dunno how need works when everyone is considered independent. $18.5k is also available unsubsidized from the federal government and I am sure that Harvard considers the possibility of you taking this loan before offering their institutional loans. I'm pretty ignorant as far as financial aid goes so I maybe wrong, but it seems like finances aren't a concern because both schools have the same tuition.

Also, I had no idea Cornell was just as expensive. I'm from Texas: big state, small tuition/fees :D.

Those extra loans are need-based from what I remember. I dunno how need works when everyone is considered independent. $18.5k is also available unsubsidized from the federal government and I am sure that Harvard considers the possibility of you taking this loan before offering their institutional loans. I'm pretty ignorant as far as financial aid goes so I maybe wrong, but it seems like finances aren't a concern because both schools have the same tuition.

Also, I had no idea Cornell was just as expensive. I'm from Texas: big state, small tuition/fees :D.

You are set, you made it into UTSW. Good luck with baylor!

you're clever. :thumbdown:

I know this is off-topic, but I'd to state that I feel my post on your MDapps has been misinterpreted. The post was sarcastic jab at those that think that a lot of URMs are underqualified. I don't really believe that at all, and I agree with the overriding goal of the AAMC in accepting larger numbers of URMs...again, sorry for off-topic.

my bad folks, that was a bit silly to consider my future and my options...haha, what a strange group of folks on this board.

if i dont get into harvard life goes on, no worries...

interesting to hear about what turned you off to cornell diosa...

None of us are bad or strange. And you are not good or unstrange.

Many of us have interviewed at both institutions and stand a damn good chance at either one (if we haven't already been accepted in Cornell's December round of 20 students or so, and now only await Harvard's decision).

So, yes, life does go on. Do not worry. Worry only when you have a real choice to make. As of now, you are hung up on the hypothetical.

I know this is off-topic, but I'd to state that I feel my post on your MDapps has been misinterpreted. The post was sarcastic jab at those that think that a lot of URMs are underqualified. I don't really believe that at all, and I agree with the overriding goal of the AAMC in accepting larger numbers of URMs...again, sorry for off-topic.

Lol it's all good bro. Don't sweat it man. Nevertheless, thanks for the clarification :).

I just looked at Cornell's primary care ranking: it's 68. I wonder why (seriously)?

Harvard is 13 for primary care by the way.

Oh, this is from the ever omniscient USNews rankings.

In all seriousness, if the OP gets into both Cornell and Harvard and starts a thread on it, then people are going to complain about how the OP is just showing off and make sarcastic comments about how his decision is soooo hard. I don't understand why his question is so offensive - all he's asking is for people to post their opinions about these places so that he can think about his possible choices.

Ok, here's the Harvard info:
(Standard student budget) - (Family Contribution) = Financial Need, and the first thing they offer you if you have need is the unit loan ($24,500 for 2007-2008), which consists of $8500 subsidized stafford, and $16,000 Campus-based loan. Next they offer you scholarship $. If you need loans to cover your family contribution portion, then those would be unsubsidized.

But you're right, both schools are expensive so everything I just said probably makes no difference anyway. haha. If I was from Texas, I'd probably go to a Texas school and avoid all of this debt.

Cornell really isn't that great. The PBL only is not the best method of teaching, and their board scores reflect it.

This needs to be corrected. Cornell's curriculum is about 33% PBL; the rest of the time you are in lecture. Second, board scores are not released, so you have no way of knowing what the school's board scores reflect. Thanks.

This needs to be corrected. Cornell's curriculum is about 33% PBL; the rest of the time you are in lecture. Second, board scores are not released, so you have no way of knowing what the school's board scores reflect. Thanks.

:thumbup: Cosign.

My interviewer corrected my erroneous thought that Cornell is 50% PBL. He said its 1/3 PBL. Also I was fortunate enough to talk to a bunch of 4th years that day and it seemed like people routinely match into amazing programs in competitive specialties all over the US. So if their board scores suck then it certainly isn't holding them back! Besides.. I heard Yale's board scores were worse! But I digress..

On the other hand, one of my interviewers at Harvard said to me something very interesting: Harvard is like Paris. It's beautiful and old, and it has the best of everything. There are a million things to see and do. But the only thing one cannot do there is be noticed...so make of that what you will.

Harvard also uses PBL.

Simply put: I disagree completely.

It doesn't hurt to ponder a possible future option. No harm, no foul in dreaming, right? If he doesn't get in, then obviously he is going to Cornell. Nevertheless, if he manages to acquire an acceptance to Harvard, then he is already 2 steps ahead of the game.

However, I am not sure how much information can be ascertained through SDN. Therefore, use the little information presented in this thread in addition other people's rationales for choosing one of the two, and then do some more investigation on your own.

At the end of day, I hope you are one of the lucky few who has the option to choose between two great schoools. Goodluck :)

This is why they have second looks and he has months still to find out what happens and make a decision. Then a few months to find a place so he has plenty of time.

None of us are bad or strange. And you are not good or unstrange.

Many of us have interviewed at both institutions and stand a damn good chance at either one (if we haven't already been accepted in Cornell's December round of 20 students or so, and now only await Harvard's decision).

So, yes, life does go on. Do not worry. Worry only when you have a real choice to make. As of now, you are hung up on the hypothetical.

I also wanted to add to the above post.

We are not the strange ones because we aren't the ones asking for help deciding between two schools when we still don't know whether we've gotten accepted to one of those schools.

Also, Diosa, I'm curious to here your take on Cornell because I have a friend who goes out there for med school.

This is why they have second looks and he has months still to find out what happens and make a decision. Then a few months to find a place so he has plenty of time.

That's my logic as well. I don't want to dream about it, only to have my dreams crushed in March. :laugh:

[Off topic: By the way, thanks again for all your help in reviewing my PS! As you can see, it paid off]

That's my logic as well. I don't want to dream about it, only to have my dreams crushed in March. :laugh:

[Off topic: By the way, thanks again for all your help in reviewing my PS! As you can see, it paid off]

aww no problema. I'm glad to see you got many acceptances to good schools and hope you get in Harvard and the other top tier schools taht you interviewed at too. :)

Umm he's comparing Cornell to Harvard. Cornell's tuition is also $40k and living expenses are projected at $20k. Living in NYC is certainly not any cheaper than living in Boston.

Cornell's tuition + fees is $35k, and housing is HIGHLY subsidized. Given that Boston's food costs are higher than NYC's in my experience, I'd say Cornell winds up being at very least the same price, and likely less.

As far as people lambasting the OP for wanting to be prepared, if he/she's posting now it means he/she was in the top group of people that Cornell wanted. Generally their logic accepting early is that that those acceptees could go anywhere and they want to make sure it's Cornell. So stop the hate.

--Ari

Cornell's tuition + fees is $35k, and housing is HIGHLY subsidized. Given that Boston's food costs are higher than NYC's in my experience, I'd say Cornell winds up being at very least the same price, and likely less.

As far as people lambasting the OP for wanting to be prepared, if he/she's posting now it means he/she was in the top group of people that Cornell wanted. Generally their logic accepting early is that that those acceptees could go anywhere and they want to make sure it's Cornell. So stop the hate.

--Ari

I don't think its hate. But just because someone got in Cornell in the early group doesn't mean they are going to get in Harvard. This is why a lot of us think its premature to be having predicaments before they exist.

Oh and my friend at Cornell said he found a decent apartment for surprisingly 250 per month. So I don't know its possible to get cheaper housing if you dig around.

I don't think its hate. But just because someone got in Cornell in the early group doesn't mean they are going to get in Harvard. This is why a lot of us think its premature to be having predicaments before they exist.

Oh and my friend at Cornell said he found a decent apartment for surprisingly 250 per month. So I don't know its possible to get cheaper housing if you dig around.

Premature or not, there is still no reason to discourage the OP from pondering and/or seeking out advice on this topic. He is not saying that he is a shoe-in for Harvard (which would be utterly ridiculous); he only proposed a thought-experiment.

Let's be real: where would science be right now if people didn't ask questions about the future despite its uncertainty? I believe this trait is a trait which should be praised in future physicians (and scientists alike). Curiousity yields greater dividends than doing nothing, no?

I understand where the problem is coming from, however. If the OP starts to become emotionally invested in the uncertain yet dream-like notion of getting into Harvard and is then promptly rejected, that would suck. But perhaps the OP, like myself, can view his query in an objective, unemotional manner which will allow him to be all the more prepared come Mid-March when his fate is revealed.

Again, simply put: don't berate him for asking a question. Period.

Thanks for the support RandomblackmanX and others...I by no means think I am a shoe-in at Harvard; nor do I think Harvard is necessarily "better" than Cornell. I would be lucky/honored to be accepted to both, and in that case was curious to hear the comparisons...If I am not accepted, then I dont need a post at all- I'm going to Cornell!!

Thanks again for the pros/cons, etc. Where could I live in NYC if my girlfriend also moved there?

Thanks for the support RandomblackmanX and others...I by no means think I am a shoe-in at Harvard; nor do I think Harvard is necessarily "better" than Cornell. I would be lucky/honored to be accepted to both, and in that case was curious to hear the comparisons...If I am not accepted, then I dont need a post at all- I'm going to Cornell!!

Thanks again for the pros/cons, etc. Where could I live in NYC if my girlfriend also moved there?

Cornell does have couples housing (studio or one bedroom), but I don't know the specifics about eligibility. Here's their housing website:

This is definitely true. There's nothing in the original post to suggest that the poor guy/gal is assuming he'll get in, though. He's just running a just-in-case scenario.

Taking a wild guess here: Queens? If not, $250/mo in the Upper East is the deal of the century. Tell your friend congrats.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/searc...sk=min&maxAsk=1000&bedrooms=&neighborhood=139

Ari

250 dollars a month for a place in the upper east side is ridiculously awesome, even if its a 10 by 10 unheated box