Harvard vs. Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh! I know! Ask the opinions of complete strangers that probably haven't interviewed at both campuses and know absolutely nothing about what you're looking for in a school.

That's how I'd decide.

:lol: :bow: :lol:

seriously though, you should ask people who actually know you and the environment you thrive in. From what I know (only about the college), Harvard either allows you to blossom into a sexy bundle of over-achievement or crushes your soul.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
A doc at the hospital where I work mentioned that a surprising number of the residents they've had from Harvard have been less than stellar. Anecdotal evidence, but it still makes me feel better about not getting an interview from those buggers. Random, you check in with Stanford yet and figure out when their paper notifications are going out? I'm dying here.

I've only met one resident from Cornell and that kid sucked, therefor everyone from there sucks. (My logic is flawless am I rite?)

Shoprite
Rite Aid
Rite of passage
<--Unable to stop myself from being that guy. My apologies.

A doc at the hospital where I work mentioned that a surprising number of the residents they've had from Harvard have been less than stellar. Anecdotal evidence, but it still makes me feel better about not getting an interview from those buggers. Random, you check in with Stanford yet and figure out when their paper notifications are going out? I'm dying here.

Could'nt get a hold of them (maybe there were gone for the break)? I will attempt to contact them again in about a week and a half. I have yet to receive a physical letter, however another guy who was called by Dr. Garcia also has yet to receive his letter as well.

AWall, I wouldn't feel too badly about Harvard. You have some great acceptances! I didn't like it when I interviewed, and it's not one of my top choices. My friend who is a student there says that despite being near the end of his third year, he still has no idea how to draw blood. Maybe this is why residents who come out of there aren't up to par?

I wasn't crazy about Cornell, either, but I think their curriculum just isn't for me. I'm not a huge PBL fan. Plus my interviewer told me to go to Hopkins over Cornell (he had gone to Hopkins for med school). It was weird.

I actually liked Cornell a lot when I was there. I've heard a lot of mixed things about PBL, including from people at schools that focus on it, but I think it'd actually work well for me. I generally do well studying on my own--sat in the library doing the orgo reading instead of going to class, studied for the MCAT on my own, etc. The prospect of sort of shooting the **** about interesting cases with my classmates, then actually going off and learning the material on my own is pretty appealing.

I know I've got some great acceptances, and am definitely not in a position to complain (nor are you, wow), but I can still be resentful that they didn't give me an excuse to visit Boston. Plus, I already know how to draw blood, so maybe that would fill in the only gap in the medical education I'd get there...

AWall, I wouldn't feel too badly about Harvard. You have some great acceptances! I didn't like it when I interviewed, and it's not one of my top choices. My friend who is a student there says that despite being near the end of his third year, he still has no idea how to draw blood. Maybe this is why residents who come out of there aren't up to par?

I wasn't crazy about Cornell, either, but I think their curriculum just isn't for me. I'm not a huge PBL fan. Plus my interviewer told me to go to Hopkins over Cornell (he had gone to Hopkins for med school). It was weird.

Maybe I'm starting to mix up all the schools now, but doesn't Harvard have students choose 1 hospital to do all their core rotations? If so, maybe it has to do with the hospital that you're friend chose?

Harvard uses PBL, but not PBL primarily like Cornell...hence my original qualifier only.

Looking through the first year schedule for Cornell, it seems that PBL sessions are only 1.5 hours, ~3 days per week. Lectures seem to make up >50% of the schedule.

EDIT: Never mind, I just realized posts 35 & 36 of this thread already corrected this. It's 33% PBL

Members don't see this ad :)
Knowing how cold it is up north right now, this thread makes me happy that my major dilemma is between Boca and Miami. :thumbup:

Merry Christmas!!

Harvard uses PBL, but not PBL primarily like Cornell...hence my original qualifier only.

Pennquaker08, your statement is patently false, and this is now the 4th time in this thread you have been corrected. PBL is a fraction of the core curriculum at Cornell.

Knowing how cold it is up north right now, this thread makes me happy that my major dilemma is between Boca and Miami. :thumbup:

Merry Christmas!!

Its only 43 degrees here in NYC! Not too bad. But Miami is looking very tempting right now!

Maybe I'm starting to mix up all the schools now, but doesn't Harvard have students choose 1 hospital to do all their core rotations? If so, maybe it has to do with the hospital that you're friend chose?

Yes, I remember talking with my student interviewer about this. I believe students choose to do all their cores at either Beth Isreal-Deaconess, MGH, Brigham & Women's, or the Cambridge Health Alliance. Whether this has anything to do with the friend that was mentioned who had trouble drawing blood, I have no idea.

Pennquaker08, your statement is patently false, and this is now the 4th time in this thread you have been corrected. PBL is a fraction of the core curriculum at Cornell.

You are correct. I foolishly and erroneously relied on what somebody I know who goes there told me. I suppose he was exaggerating the importance of the PBL there. I apologize for my hardheaded defense of untruth.

I apologize; you are correct. I erroneously relied on what somebody I know who goes there told me. I suppose he was exaggerating the importance of the PBL there.

Well I can see why you would think that. I thought the same thing until I went to interview and found out that there was actually more lecture than PBL. Their brochure even says "Lectures are few and emphasize the conceptual framework of a field." (few is not underlined in the brochure- I underlined for emphasis)

Well, I think he's doing all his rotations at MGH, but I'm not sure if he got to choose or was assigned. I have another friend doing all of his at the Brigham, and loves it. I've just been told that at these Harvard hospitals, the med students have a lot of access to difficult/complicated procedures, but the "easy stuff" is delegated to the nurses.

Also, my friend said he can't stand the attitude at Harvard hospitals, where everyone is out to impress everyone else. He's just anxious to get away from it. He isn't interested in kissing everyone's ass, which is what all the med students and residents do. I am very closely associated with Harvard people on a daily basis, and I can attest to this.

Not to knock on Harvard at all, since I'm sure it's an exceptional place to study medicine. I just had an awful experience on my interview day (although my actual interviews were great), and that's left a bad taste in my mouth.

As for Cornell, one of my interviewers warned me to think very carefully about how much I like PBL, because he said the curriculum is heavily focused on that mode of learning. I, too, am a very self-directed learner, and I studied for the MCAT on my own and everything else. I don't like having my hand held. But for some reason, I just think I'd learn better through lectures (primarily, at least), and I didn't like the weekly quizzes that Cornell has. This would stress me out!

Well, I'll probably get the axe at both places anyway, but it was of course a privilege to be interviewed. Who knows, if I'm lucky enough to be accepted, maybe a second look would totally change my mind.

I just got into cornell too but I'm torn between there and hopkins...I really liked both places when I interviewed but I dont know about leaving new york (I'm going to wait til March to worry about Harvard :) )...any opinions?

I just got into cornell too but I'm torn between there and hopkins...I really liked both places when I interviewed but I dont know about leaving new york (I'm going to wait til March to worry about Harvard :) )...any opinions?

lol