Harvard vs. Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovely_equine

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats on acceptances! I think the main factors that are pushing you one way vs. the other is SO/family but more cost in Boston vs. graduating debt free but further away from family/SO.

A long distance relationship from coast to coast sounds miserable, especially with time difference. If you are super serious about your SO then it might be worth staying at Harvard given the extra cost. Also, what are the possibilities of them moving to the Bay Area?

Finally, in terms of financial aid, HMS is not really known to "match" scholarships, but it seems like they are receptive to hearing about need-based aid from peer schools. It might be worth reaching out to them to see if there's anything they can do. 125k is a well below average amount of debt, but at the same time it is still significant especially if you end up going into primary care or academics.

Ultimately both are obviously great schools, and you'll be fine either way; think more about how important being close to family/SO is for you!

Reactions: 2 users
Long-distance relationships are difficult. Is there any way your significant other could move with you or would you be on opposite coasts for 4 years? I would normally recommend following the money, but some things are worth more than money.

Reactions: 6 users
hypothetically, if costs were identical, which school would you pick? whichever you choose in this scenario is the school I suggest you actually pick. The reason I say so is that you explicitly stated more than once in your post that cost isn't an issue. So i think you're making the decision harder for yourself then it needs to be right now.
regardless, definitely understand your dilemma because they're both amazing!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@PapayaJambalaya
Long-distance relationships are difficult. Is there any way your significant other could move with you or would you be on opposite coasts for 4 years? I would normally recommend following the money, but some things are worth more than money.

We would be on opposite coasts for 4 years (limited job opportunities for them out West).

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
If you don’t want cost to be a factor, it sounds like Harvard is your place! It sounds like cost is Harvard’s only con for you, while Stanford would uproot you from everything.

If money is no issue, and your heart is obviously set on Boston, I'd pick Harvard.

There is very little difference between the two in your situation. Go with your heart. If you still have some wanderlust after med school, you will have zero difficulty matching anywhere in the country with an HMS degree.

I understand wanting a change (I've been there), but you said you don't mind Boston and it would just make your life easier to be around your SO and family I think. Maybe you can consider California for residency and travel in the future!