Harvard vs. UConn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingChris

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I was accepted to both and I'm pretty sure at this point that I have made my decision to go to Harvard. However, I just wanted to get some feedback on this as it just wasn't the easiest decision to make as many factors have come into play.

Here's my story; I grew up in CT all my life, attended UConn undergard and received a scholarship to UConn Dental. My family and girlfriend of 3 yrs live in CT. On the other hand, I really feel that Harvard is the best school for me as their philosophy on dentistry is dead center with mine, and the strong pbl curriculum is def what I want! I loved the facilities, the students, the resources and the chance to get away from CT and live in Boston! I know it's a little bit more money but as many have told me that shouldnt be a deciding factor. I am interested in OMFS, but have a very open mind. I feel that Harvard will offer me the environment and the resources that will really help me not only succeed but explore my own interests.

However, both UConn and Harvard are very competetive schools, my family is closer to UConn and it is cheaper. I have read some rather negative things about UConn on sdn and heard some dreaded stories from students, but the students at Harvard seemed so relaxed about things and comfortable there. I really feel that I have made the best decision to go to Harvard, but I just wanted to know what you all think about this, not that it will necessarily change my mind, but since it is such a big decision. I also wanted to know how feasable it would be to have a long distance relationship from CT to Boston. Oh and my gf may be attending UConn medical school at the same time. (that reminds me, another thing that made this decision tough was that she wanted me to go to UConn with her, I mean what are the chances of a bf and gf both geting into the same med and dental school together, however, I think I'd be a fool to pass up the opp to go to the school that I really love which is Harvard).............Your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

wait a minute. Weren't you the guy who was so gung ho with regard to UConn? WEren't you sure you were going there? Hadn't you done an externship there and your Dad or someone knew people at the school so well? You were very very defensive against all of us and in defending UConn. NOW you are concerned about what you read here! HAHAHAHA

Well I was accepted to both and I'm pretty sure at this point that I have made my decision to go to Harvard. However, I just wanted to get some feedback on this as it just wasn't the easiest decision to make as many factors have come into play.

Here's my story; I grew up in CT all my life, attended UConn undergard and received a scholarship to UConn Dental. My family and girlfriend of 3 yrs live in CT. On the other hand, I really feel that Harvard is the best school for me as their philosophy on dentistry is dead center with mine, and the strong pbl curriculum is def what I want! I loved the facilities, the students, the resources and the chance to get away from CT and live in Boston! I know it's a little bit more money but as many have told me that shouldnt be a deciding factor. I am interested in OMFS, but have a very open mind. I feel that Harvard will offer me the environment and the resources that will really help me not only succeed but explore my own interests.

However, both UConn and Harvard are very competetive schools, my family is closer to UConn and it is cheaper. I have read some rather negative things about UConn on sdn and heard some dreaded stories from students, but the students at Harvard seemed so relaxed about things and comfortable there. I really feel that I have made the best decision to go to Harvard, but I just wanted to know what you all think about this, not that it will necessarily change my mind, but since it is such a big decision. I also wanted to know how feasable it would be to have a long distance relationship from CT to Boston. Oh and my gf may be attending UConn medical school at the same time. (that reminds me, another thing that made this decision tough was that she wanted me to go to UConn with her, I mean what are the chances of a bf and gf both geting into the same med and dental school together, however, I think I'd be a fool to pass up the opp to go to the school that I really love which is Harvard).............Your thoughts?

wait a minute. Weren't you the guy who was so gung ho with regard to UConn? WEren't you sure you were going there? Hadn't you done an externship there and your Dad or someone knew people at the school so well? You were very very defensive against all of us and in defending UConn. NOW you are concerned about what you read here! HAHAHAHA

I was pretty sure I was going to go there. However, I had always wanted to attend Harvard, and hadn't gotten accepted until recently. I was defensive because I felt that UConn was being discussed in an inappropriate way, and not respected as every dental school should be. I simply found the manner in which people spoke of it as being unprofessional. I spent time in the AEGD clinic and know much of the faculty and dean. While I don't think it is appropriate to bash a school so publically like that, I couldn't help but wonder what people's motives were for that, and finally took it upon myself to speak with current students about the school. I found some negative remarks from students, along with some positives. But overall, the students at Harvard seemed a lot more laid back and comfortable at their school than I have seem almost anywhere!

Members don't see this ad :)
I to tell you agin to not go UConn

You heard some negative remarks from current students? The Harvard students seemed more laid back and comfortable at their school?

Ok, so let us know what your final decision is about your beloved UConn then.:rolleyes:

m

I was pretty sure I was going to go there. However, I had always wanted to attend Harvard, and hadn't gotten accepted until recently. I was defensive because I felt that UConn was being discussed in an inappropriate way, and not respected as every dental school should be. I simply found the manner in which people spoke of it as being unprofessional. I spent time in the AEGD clinic and know much of the faculty and dean. While I don't think it is appropriate to bash a school so publically like that, I couldn't help but wonder what people's motives were for that, and finally took it upon myself to speak with current students about the school. I found some negative remarks from students, along with some positives. But overall, the students at Harvard seemed a lot more laid back and comfortable at their school than I have seem almost anywhere!

You heard some negative remarks from current students? The Harvard students seemed more laid back and comfortable at their school?

Ok, so let us know what your final decision is about your beloved UConn then.:rolleyes:

m

I never said UConn was a bad school. With a decision as big as this, I thought it would be best to get all the facts from current students rather than from anonymous threads on sdn. I still think very highly of UConn and would encourage people to seek it out. I just found myself more excited about Harvard, and feel that it is a better fit for myself. The students there had more to positives to say about their experience, and the freedom of the curriculum seemed low stress and gives students the ability to explore their own interests!

It's okay to change your mind, and I have found that in a a field such as medicine, it is more than necessary to seek out the advice of others, and embrace change. I am very happy with my decision. I never changed my thoughts on how good of a school UConn is, but rather found the school that is better fit for ME. And I encourage others to go against the grain, and find out for themselves what school is best for them, rather than what everyone around them says.

You'll get an excellent education (both didactic and clinical at both). I really, really advise you to not just weigh the social aspects of Boston vs. Farmington, but really take a close look at the financial issue of each. One of the schools will allow you to have your debt paid off sooner and hence keeping more of that hard earned future in your pocket as opposed to paying back the lending institution.

As an aside, as is well known around here, I'm a UCONN grad (and my partner is too). I have lunch twice a week with a two other Docs (a husband/wife team) who are both HARVARD alums. All 4 of us have very similar philosophies and dental school stories.

Either way, you'll be making a good decision!

if UCONN's so good then why are there so many bad threads about it?:idea:

you'd be risking your relationship and happiness by going to harvard, but if you feel it's worth the risk go for it. long distance is REALLY hard, especially if it's not necessary. you don't know what you'll be missing by moving away when you don't have to.

good luck, whatever you do.

you'd be risking your relationship and happiness by going to harvard, but if you feel it's worth the risk go for it. long distance is REALLY hard, especially if it's not necessary. you don't know what you'll be missing by moving away when you don't have to.

good luck, whatever you do.

Ummm, aren't UConn & Boston like 2 hours apart?

However, I just wanted to get some feedback on this as it just wasn't the easiest decision to make as many factors have come into play.

Are you really looking for feedback? Everyone who chooses to go to Harvard goes there pretty much for two reasons. Specialty placement and name. It's not the quality of the school.

Are you really looking for feedback? Everyone who chooses to go to Harvard goes there pretty much for two reasons. Specialty placement and name. It's not the quality of the school.

I have to strongly disagree with you. The quality of Harvard is outstanding, and it gives you such an extensive medical background that is almost unheard of at any other school. They have world renowned professors and the most extensive resources I have seen. I find many people who don't go there, or don't know much about it, tend to presume it's just a namebrand. You are very mistaken.