Harvard vs. Yale vs. UCSF vs. Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr. sushi roll

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I find myself in a very lucky position, deciding among great schools. I feel very grateful to have these opportunities, but wanted to get some input from fellow SDNers! I've been admitted to several schools this cycle, but the ones I'm considering the most are Harvard, Yale, Weill Cornell, and UCSF. I'm interested in neurology and would like to incorporate research into my career. While I'm leaning towards neurology, I like neuroscience in general and could also see myself in neurosurgery, psychiatry, anesthesia, or other related fields. Here are the pros and cons of each school. I'm still waiting on financial aid decisions, but I imagine it would be comparable between the schools.

Harvard
pros
-prestige, which might matter for residency and academic medicine, not sure
-many research opportunities
-affiliated with several great hospitals
-Boston is a nice city and I could see myself living there
-several advisors and deans have reached out to me, giving me the impression that HMS cares a lot for its students

cons
-no lectures, only group based learning. I tend to be a fan of lectures, but haven't had too much experience with PBL, so that could change.
-it's several hours from metropolitan NY, where I have family, SO, and friends.
-larger class size (165)
-do not get to choose in which hospital I do the majority of clinical rotations
-need to pay 15k if I do an extra research year

Yale
pros
-the Yale System of no grades and very few required exams sounds amazing!
-had a very positive interview day experience
-also get the sense that the school cares a lot about its students
-don't need to take shelf exams during clinical years!
-can take classes for free at any of the Yale schools
-vast research opportunities as well, and get funding for doing a tuition-free research year
-I hear New Haven has very good food
-small class size around 105

cons
-2 hours away from NYC
-the affiliated hospitals are not top 10. Not sure if this matters or not, just comparing it to other choices.

UCSF
pros
-San Francisco seems like a fun place to live in
-top ranked not only in research but several other specialties
-vast research opportunities
-affiliated with state-of-the-art hospitals, from what I heard on interview day

cons
-while SF is a cool city, it is very far from NY. It might be a big adjustment to move and live there.
-traveling to NY to visit family, friends, and SO would get expensive
-some students seemed very unhappy with the new curriculum during my interview day
-most students live off-campus. I think it would make it more challenging to make friends.

Weill Cornell
pros
-it's in NYC! and the subsidized rent is fantastic for the Upper East Side
-close to family, friends, and SO
-has tons of research opportunities given it's affiliation with MSKCC, Rockefeller, HSS, and NYP
-also had a very positive experience during my interview day
-small class size of around 105
-close to central park
-I would do rotations in NYP. In the future, I see myself doing residency in NYC and I think NYP would be one of my top choices

cons
-weekly quizzes first semester, though I've heard they're low-stress
-not sure if the difference in prestige/ranking matters, compared to the other schools
-I've heard students here can be a bit intense, though the people I met seemed chill

Conclusion: Trying to decide between 4 fantastic schools. I realize I'm very lucky and just want some opinions of how to make the right decision. Since I am interested in academic medicine, I'm not sure how much prestige/rankings count. Any help is greatly appreciated! I should mention I can only make it to 2 revisits, since 3 are on the same weekend. I'm going to revisit Harvard and Yale. If anyone has already gotten into residency and can comment on how much your school mattered for your match, that'd be great. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like you already have your answer. :). At this level, I dont think it matters where you go, so you should choose your school based on ease of access to things that are important to you. Sounds like Columbia does that for you.
Also , how did you swing so many II's with LizzyM of 71?

Edit: The NY school.

Last edited:
Seems like you already have your answer. :). At this level, I dont think it matters where you go, so you should choose your school based on ease of access to things that are important to you. Sounds like Columbia does that for you.
Also , how did you swing so many II's with LizzyM of 71?
Lol you mean Cornell right? And maybe pm the OP about what's unique about him to pull these top schools as not to detract from the purpose of the thread school X vs Y

Hi everyone! I find myself in a very lucky position, deciding among great schools. I feel very grateful to have these opportunities, but wanted to get some input from fellow SDNers! I've been admitted to several schools this cycle, but the ones I'm considering the most are Harvard, Yale, Weill Cornell, and UCSF. I'm interested in neurology and would like to incorporate research into my career. While I'm leaning towards neurology, I like neuroscience in general and could also see myself in neurosurgery, psychiatry, anesthesia, or other related fields. Here are the pros and cons of each school. I'm still waiting on financial aid decisions, but I imagine it would be comparable between the schools.

Harvard
pros
-prestige, which might matter for residency and academic medicine, not sure
-many research opportunities
-affiliated with several great hospitals
-Boston is a nice city and I could see myself living there
-several advisors and deans have reached out to me, giving me the impression that HMS cares a lot for its students

cons
-no lectures, only group based learning. I tend to be a fan of lectures, but haven't had too much experience with PBL, so that could change.
-it's several hours from metropolitan NY, where I have family, SO, and friends.
-larger class size (165)
-do not get to choose in which hospital I do the majority of clinical rotations
-need to pay 15k if I do an extra research year

Yale
pros
-the Yale System of no grades and very few required exams sounds amazing!
-had a very positive interview day experience
-also get the sense that the school cares a lot about its students
-don't need to take shelf exams during clinical years!
-can take classes for free at any of the Yale schools
-vast research opportunities as well, and get funding for doing a tuition-free research year
-I hear New Haven has very good food
-small class size around 105

cons
-2 hours away from NYC
-the affiliated hospitals are not top 10. Not sure if this matters or not, just comparing it to other choices.

UCSF
pros
-San Francisco seems like a fun place to live in
-top ranked not only in research but several other specialties
-vast research opportunities
-affiliated with state-of-the-art hospitals, from what I heard on interview day

cons
-while SF is a cool city, it is very far from NY. It might be a big adjustment to move and live there.
-traveling to NY to visit family, friends, and SO would get expensive
-some students seemed very unhappy with the new curriculum during my interview day
-most students live off-campus. I think it would make it more challenging to make friends.

Weill Cornell
pros
-it's in NYC! and the subsidized rent is fantastic for the Upper East Side
-close to family, friends, and SO
-has tons of research opportunities given it's affiliation with MSKCC, Rockefeller, HSS, and NYP
-also had a very positive experience during my interview day
-small class size of around 105
-close to central park
-I would do rotations in NYP. In the future, I see myself doing residency in NYC and I think NYP would be one of my top choices

cons
-weekly quizzes first semester, though I've heard they're low-stress
-not sure if the difference in prestige/ranking matters, compared to the other schools
-I've heard students here can be a bit intense, though the people I met seemed chill

Conclusion: Trying to decide between 4 fantastic schools. I realize I'm very lucky and just want some opinions of how to make the right decision. Since I am interested in academic medicine, I'm not sure how much prestige/rankings count. Any help is greatly appreciated! I should mention I can only make it to 2 revisits, since 3 are on the same weekend. I'm going to revisit Harvard and Yale. If anyone has already gotten into residency and can comment on how much your school mattered for your match, that'd be great. Thanks everyone!
You had a LM of 71 and are dealing with the 4 of the best schools in the country? Do tell your secret lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I voted Weill Cornell. At the level you're at right now the prestige factor is going to be negligible, especially if you plan to go for residency in NYC. If you're going by U.S. News data then Cornell is 18th for research but 11th for the PD survey, and regardless is going to set you up for success in NYC. The possibility of doing away rotations at Columbia is also of benefit for neuroscience.

I've met/personally know a good deal of students at Cornell and they're almost all super nice and chill. Those who are not have their counterparts at any of the other schools you are accepted to, I reckon.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far, keep them coming!

As for the LizzyM, I've found that past a certain number, it doesn't seem to matter much as long as you have a strong personal statement and letters or recommendation. While my MCAT was on the lower side for these schools, my GPA was higher. So maybe the GPA made up for my lower MCAT? But the thing I learned is that there's definitely a lot more than numbers that goes into play and schools really do seem to do holistic reviews of applications.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far, keep them coming!

As for the LizzyM, I've found that past a certain number, it doesn't seem to matter much as long as you have a strong personal statement and letters or recommendation. While my MCAT was on the lower side for these schools, my GPA was higher. So maybe the GPA made up for my lower MCAT? But the thing I learned is that there's definitely a lot more than numbers that goes into play and schools really do seem to do holistic reviews of applications.
Do you mind giving more specific stats? I'm kind of in the opposite boat, where my GPA is on the lower side of a lot of top schools but my MCAT is higher. Trying to figure out what schools are really realistic for me...

Do you mind giving more specific stats? I'm kind of in the opposite boat, where my GPA is on the lower side of a lot of top schools but my MCAT is higher. Trying to figure out what schools are really realistic for me...

I'll PM you, so as to keep the conversation on topic.

Wow! So I had a similar LizzyM and got into some good schools this cycle, but you're a rockstar. Congrats on all these acceptances. I have been accepted to Cornell as well and am trying to decide between them and a school in Cali. It's such a hard decision for me too, but I think you have it 10x harder. I think I'll end up going to Cornell though. They have a 6 to one faculty ratio, the research opportunities are amazing, and living in Manhattan seems so cool. Plus I'll get to live closer to my family which is a huge advantage (something to seriously consider). I think you should make your decision on gut feeling. I keep thinking about it every day and I've developed a "gut-feeling" for Cornell.

Keep thinking about it, discuss thing with your family and friends, but honestly from what you wrote it seems like Cornell would be a good fit for you as of right now.

Wow! So I had a similar LizzyM and got into some good schools this cycle, but you're a rockstar. Congrats on all these acceptances. I have been accepted to Cornell as well and am trying to decide between them and a school in Cali. It's such a hard decision for me too, but I think you have it 10x harder. I think I'll end up going to Cornell though. They have a 6 to one faculty ratio, the research opportunities are amazing, and living in Manhattan seems so cool. Plus I'll get to live closer to my family which is a huge advantage (something to seriously consider). I think you should make your decision on gut feeling. I keep thinking about it every day and I've developed a "gut-feeling" for Cornell.

Keep thinking about it, discuss thing with your family and friends, but honestly from what you wrote it seems like Cornell would be a good fit for you as of right now.

Thank you! Good luck with your decision as well. It's unfortunate that so many schools do revisit weekends on the same date, so we can't attend all of them. I think revisit would be one of the places where I could develop that gut feeling. I'm definitely keeping Cornell high in my mind though. I'm hoping we get financial aid packages soon! If it turns out that there is a big difference from one school to another, that could also play a role in my decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks again to everyone who replied or voted. I see everyone who has commented is leaning towards Cornell, but an almost equal number of people voted for Harvard. Does anyone who voted for Harvard care to share why they think it's a better choice? Do you think the Harvard name would open more doors and allow for more connections and opportunities? Or is there something else about their curriculum or hospitals that makes it more attractive? Thanks!

Thanks again to everyone who replied or voted. I see everyone who has commented is leaning towards Cornell, but an almost equal number of people voted for Harvard. Does anyone who voted for Harvard care to share why they think it's a better choice? Do you think the Harvard name would open more doors and allow for more connections and opportunities? Or is there something else about their curriculum or hospitals that makes it more attractive? Thanks!

Vanity probably sums it up. Most of us wish we went there, so we voted for it. Others took you personal situation into account and voted cornel, but a lot of people (myself included) would say "peace" to any personal situation to go to Harvard.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the way you phrased the question is leading some people towards the Harvard answer, because you are asking "which school would you choose" rather than "which school do you think I should choose?"

If I were to choose for myself, I would select Harvard, no question. But your from your post, it seems like you have much warmer feelings towards Cornell, and that you really want to stay in NY close to your friends/family/SO. If you really feel like you would be significantly happier at Cornell, then I think you should choose Cornell. It shouldn't hold you back from a career in academic medicine, especially if you want that career to be in New York. That said, if you can see yourself being potentially equally happy at Harvard, definitely consider coming here. It's a much warmer community than many people expect, and the opportunities are endless. New York is a relatively cheap bus ride away, and there are lots of job opportunities here in every field if your SO is willing/able to consider moving. Whatever you decide, you'll get an amazing education, no question!

Also, you attended 19 interviews?? That burnout must have been insane! Clearly you were an awesome candidate, congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Vanity probably sums it up. Most of us wish we went there, so we voted for it. Others took you personal situation into account and voted cornel, but a lot of people (myself included) would say "peace" to any personal situation to go to Harvard.

Thanks for the honest reply! I just wasn't sure if it was only the name itself, or if people believed Harvard would open more doors than my other options.

I think the way you phrased the question is leading some people towards the Harvard answer, because you are asking "which school would you choose" rather than "which school do you think I should choose?"

If I were to choose for myself, I would select Harvard, no question. But your from your post, it seems like you have much warmer feelings towards Cornell, and that you really want to stay in NY close to your friends/family/SO. If you really feel like you would be significantly happier at Cornell, then I think you should choose Cornell. It shouldn't hold you back from a career in academic medicine, especially if you want that career to be in New York. That said, if you can see yourself being potentially equally happy at Harvard, definitely consider coming here. It's a much warmer community than many people expect, and the opportunities are endless. New York is a relatively cheap bus ride away, and there are lots of job opportunities here in every field if your SO is willing/able to consider moving. Whatever you decide, you'll get an amazing education, no question!

Also, you attended 19 interviews?? That burnout must have been insane! Clearly you were an awesome candidate, congrats!

Thank you! I can definitely see myself being happy at Harvard too, so I'm keeping my options open. I'm excited about revisit here and it's great to hear that you've been having a positive experience. Unfortunately, my SO cannot relocate due to work, and she is applying for grad school. So she may not be in NY after next year, depending on where she gets in. Though she does want to stay in the east coast and NYC has lots of transport options to get to nearby cities in surrounding states. I'll look into Boston's transportation too though. And yup, the interviews were a bit tiring but exciting nonetheless!

@dr. sushi roll I would choose Harvard. It may or may not be a better school than your other options, but in terms of public opinion, it is leagues above. Go anywhere around the world and people will have heard of Harvard and its prestige. If you want that level of recognition worldwide, I would go there. Sure you may not need it now, but when you're calling in favors, the Harvard name will yield many returns in the long run IMO.

Best of luck OP and congrats on getting into such great schools!

Reactions: 1 user
@dr. sushi roll I would choose Harvard. It may or may not be a better school than your other options, but in terms of public opinion, it is leagues above. Go anywhere around the world and people will have heard of Harvard and its prestige. If you want that level of recognition worldwide, I would go there. Sure you may not need it now, but when you're calling in favors, the Harvard name will yield many returns in the long run IMO.

Thanks for your input!

@dr. sushi roll It sounds like you have more pros on your list for Cornell, and if you feel strongly for that school, then you should go. but i think Harvard would be a good choice for you too after reading your last post. If your SO is moving soon for grad school anyways, then it sounds like staying in NY matters less. Harvard isn't too far off from NY, you can still visit friends and family. But the name really does have value across the globe.

@dr. sushi roll It sounds like you have more pros on your list for Cornell, and if you feel strongly for that school, then you should go. but i think Harvard would be a good choice for you too after reading your last post. If your SO is moving soon for grad school anyways, then it sounds like staying in NY matters less. Harvard isn't too far off from NY, you can still visit friends and family. But the name really does have value across the globe.

Thanks! I guess one thing I didn't mention is that I really love NYC in and of itself, so having loved ones close isn't the only reason I would like to be in New York. But I think Boston is also a nice city, so I am open to exploring a new place, especially if I feel that I would get the best medical school experience there. That's something I'm still trying to figure out though, where I would be the happiest.

First of all, Congratulations @dr. sushi roll - this is seriously an incredible achievement man!!!

It seems like Cornell is your top choice just based off how you've described all the schools, with Harvard being a close second. UCSF is a great school but you seem very family oriented and it also seems like your SO is a factor in the decision so staying close is likely what you'll be happiest with doing.

One thing worth mentioning is if you've been in NYC your whole life, and you have a desire to step out and see a different part of the world, meet new people, etc. Maybe Harvard might be a good choice for you, over Cornell.

That being said I can't speak much for the schools as far as rank and prestige etc because I'm not informed enough (I only know them by name and what the name represents).

Did any of the schools give you/offer you money?

First of all, Congratulations @dr. sushi roll - this is seriously an incredible achievement man!!!

It seems like Cornell is your top choice just based off how you've described all the schools, with Harvard being a close second. UCSF is a great school but you seem very family oriented and it also seems like your SO is a factor in the decision so staying close is likely what you'll be happiest with doing.

One thing worth mentioning is if you've been in NYC your whole life, and you have a desire to step out and see a different part of the world, meet new people, etc. Maybe Harvard might be a good choice for you, over Cornell.

That being said I can't speak much for the schools as far as rank and prestige etc because I'm not informed enough (I only know them by name and what the name represents).

Did any of the schools give you/offer you money?

Thank you! Actually, I'm not originally from NY. I've lived here several years now, but moved around a lot while growing up, so I've definitely experienced very different geographic locations and environments. It just so happens that here is where I've felt more at home so far. Yeah, I'm leaning less towards UCSF, but Harvard, Cornell, and Yale are all high on my list. I noticed no one's mentioned Yale but I got a very positive vibe there on interview day and they offer a lot to their students. I haven't gotten my financial packages yet. But those 3 schools use the unit loan system, and based on what I read on their websites, I'm estimating that I'll get comparable aid, though I'm not yet 100% sure. They should be getting our packages in next month.

Why has no one rooted for Yale? It's a top 10 med school that's less than an hour from the city you love! Yale might be a good balance of still being close to family/SO and yet have the prestige factor that you've certainly earned. I wouldn't pick Harvard just because it's Harvard - if you love it and have your heart set on it, go there - but it sounds like you really want to stay in the NYC area. I'd say wait till you get financial aid from Yale and Cornell, and then choose whichever's less expensive. (If they're about the same then just go with your gut!) Cornell is great too, but I'd root for Yale just because I think you'd have more opportunities there without having to deal with being super far away from your loved ones.