Has any licensed RPH find a job before getting licensed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spoon714

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, have anyone find a job like an ideal retail job, perhaps costcos or some really hard to get into company before getting licenced? My friend is currently licensed in NY but due to the saturation is now looking for a job outside of NY. He would like to get hired by a good hospital/retail, (not cvs) but not sure if companies will hire before licensed if willing to move..any experience?

Members don't see this ad.

At the schools near me it used be 95% had a job before graduation, let alone licensure, and I think even now days it is close to 90%

I'm curious, have anyone find a job like an ideal retail job, perhaps costcos or some really hard to get into company before getting licenced? My friend is currently licensed in NY but due to the saturation is now looking for a job outside of NY. He would like to get hired by a good hospital/retail, (not cvs) but not sure if companies will hire before licensed if willing to move..any experience?

I had a classmate who was able to get hired for a staff pharmacist position at a hospital in another state before getting licensed there. I believe this was possible because you are able to work with an out of state license as long as there is another pharmacist on duty with that state's license. Not sure if it's state specific or not but that was what they told him. For retail, you probably need to get licensed first before even applying.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does staff pharmacist need a residency or do they kinda do on the job training. I'm looking into this sort of information as well. I feel that my knowledge might not be adequate enough for a hospital setting. I'm willing to learn..but it seems that everything needs a residency nowadays

Does staff pharmacist need a residency or do they kinda do on the job training. I'm looking into this sort of information as well. I feel that my knowledge might not be adequate enough for a hospital setting. I'm willing to learn..but it seems that everything needs a residency nowadays
search is your friend -

basically if you want a hospital job in MOST areas you will need experience or a residency. If you are willing to go to rural and less desirable areas, you might have a chance

I know a few P4s who have already gotten offers in retail. One on the Ca coast, and she has never lived/worked in that area! Some stories inspire you :)

If your friend is willing to relocate to a "hard to staff" area he may have a good shot of having a job before getting his license in that state.

That being said, it would help him greatly if he had at least a general idea where he wanted to live and work.

search is your friend -

basically if you want a hospital job in MOST areas you will need experience or a residency. If you are willing to go to rural and less desirable areas, you might have a chance

Thanks, There was an posting that I was interested in. It states clinical pharmacist and preferred qualifications but not mandatory. I'm debating if i should apply. I just don't want to embarrass myself since I don't have the preferred qualification but I do want it and will work for it.

Thanks, There was an posting that I was interested in. It states clinical pharmacist and preferred qualifications but not mandatory. I'm debating if i should apply. I just don't want to embarrass myself since I don't have the preferred qualification but I do want it and will work for it.
go ahead and apply - what is the worst thing that can happen? They send you a reject letter - we have all got them (well - we used to never get them up until 5 years ago - but that is a different topic)

. I just don't want to embarrass myself since I don't have the preferred qualification but I do want it and will work for it.

What would be embarrassing about it? Do you think you will run into the PIC at a CE meeting and he will burst out laughing and pointing at you in front of everybody?
As DS says, worst that can happen is you get a rejection letter. Rejection letters can mean anything from "you suck completely" to "the position was already filled by somebody in-house, but we had to advertise it anyway per our protocol.) If you do get a rejection letter, just assume the latter, that the position was probably already filled by someone in-house, and then wait for your next opportunity.

I know a few P4s who have already gotten offers in retail. One on the Ca coast, and she has never lived/worked in that area! Some stories inspire you :)

My guess is that it's probably in the middle of nowhere and/or a dangerous city. Hence, let's fool an out-of-state new grad into accepting a position in a dangerous, hard to staff city.

My guess is that it's probably in the middle of nowhere and/or a dangerous city. Hence, let's fool an out-of-state new grad into accepting a position in a dangerous, hard to staff city.

You'd think that, but no; One got a job in Santa Cruz, Ca, where I went for undergrad. It's a hippy little college town sure, but hardly classifies as 'middle of nowhere' (population ~60,000). She said she got it through a career fair. Another student got a job with Walgreen's in his home state of Washington, about a 30-45 min drive from Tacoma (population ~200,000). I'm not sure if he actually worked there before (our school is in the Midwest); He said a higher-up gave his contact info to someone in that area, who got in touch with him and set up a phone interview. Both students are fairly intelligent, but neither really struck me as 'go-getters' or anything like that.

Last edited: