Has anybody here absolutely killed the interview and still get rejected there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnwandering

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would just like to hear some accounts and reasons why people thought they got rejected in the end;
I am wondering how much "bonus" a great interview gives for a weak application

Members don't see this ad.

Define "great" interview. How do you know it was "great?" Because you thought it went well?

That's the problem with this question.
Yes, this an important factor in the discussion. An applicant may think they interview went extremely well, even though they did not express the traits the interviewer was looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at my undergraduate institutions med school, had an interview that went an hour over time because we were having such a great conversation, after which the interviewer flat out told me I was a shoe in to be accepted... and I got wait-listed. I'm still anticipating an acceptance from them eventually, but yeah.... felt like a bit of a kick in the teeth.

However, the day I got listed I was accepted by four other schools, so I guess I can't be too upset.

Yes, this an important factor in the discussion. An applicant may think they interview went extremely well, even though they did not express the traits the interviewer was looking for.

Exactly. What the interviewee is looking for and what the interviewer for are likely not the same thing. Even then, an interview may or may not be a significant part of the final evaluation.

The interview is only one component of the whole admissions' decision. Someone explained to me that the interviewers write a report of each applicant they interview, but ultimately, it's up to the votes on the members on the committee.

So even if your interview went great, it's only one component of your application in the eyes of the people making the decision.

The interview is only one component of the whole admissions' decision. Someone explained to me that the interviewers write a report of each applicant they interview, but ultimately, it's up to the votes on the members on the committee.

So even if your interview went great, it's only one component of your application in the eyes of the people making the decision.
It varies quite a bit from one school to the next. I've heard that UWisc only considers the interview to be as important as an LOR, whereas when I went to MCW, they told us up front "This is the last thing between you and being accepted."

I would just like to hear some accounts and reasons why people thought they got rejected in the end;

I don't think it's possible to do really well on an interview and not get in... It is possible, however, for the applicant to think he or she did well when the interviewer was just being nice...

I don't think it's possible to do really well on an interview and not get in... It is possible, however, for the applicant to think he or she did well when the interviewer was just being nice...
Like the prowler said, some schools may consider the interview as a relatively small factor in judging whether you're fit for med school where as other schools may weigh it pretty big on your application. School A for instance may look at a 4.0 GPA, 41 MCAT, and a decent PS and say ok he has a 95% chance if he has a mediocre interview. But school B may say that person only has a 60% chance of being accepted with a mediocre interview because they want to be wowed by the applicant. I don't know what the actual numbers are, just sayin.

Like the prowler said, some schools may consider the interview as a relatively small factor in judging whether you're fit for med school where as other schools may weigh it pretty big on your application. School A for instance may look at a 4.0 GPA, 41 MCAT, and a decent PS and say ok he has a 95% chance if he has a mediocre interview. But school B may say that person only has a 60% chance of being accepted with a mediocre interview because they want to be wowed by the applicant. I don't know what the actual numbers are, just sayin.

I think for Medical School, it's mostly the former for the most part. Good scores, grades, EC's mean success in med school in general. It changes for residency spots where there are WAY fewer ppl working together and the interview is more important..."Is this someone I want to work with fairly intimately for the next several years?"

But then again, all of us for the most part have rocked most things and 'saved the world' at most points in our educational careers, so who's to say.

I think for Medical School, it's mostly the former for the most part. Good scores, grades, EC's mean success in med school in general. It changes for residency spots where there are WAY fewer ppl working together and the interview is more important..."Is this someone I want to work with fairly intimately for the next several years?"

But then again, all of us for the most part have rocked most things and 'saved the world' at most points in our educational careers, so who's to say.

Look how many people interview compared to acceptances offered and that should tell you how important the interview is. Not a perfect measure, but I think can give you an idea. Some schools will also tell you.

I am interviewing at a school that says the interview is worth 35% of your total score. So, it certainly is significant, especially since the school interviews a lot of people.

But trying to gauge how your interview went is impossible. I know people who feel like they rocked the interview and got rejected. I know people who felt they did horrible (including arguing with the interviewer) and got in. For the most part, you have no idea how the interview is going. What I felt was my worst interview turned out to be my first acceptance.

I've had interviewers straight out tell me I'll be accepted and then find out I've been waitlisted a few weeks later.

Also, you have to keep in mind that the final decision is made by the entire committee. So if you're interviewer is an adcom member, he/she may be really pushing to accept you but the committee ultimately decides waitlist/rejection.

Also, you have to keep in mind that the final decision is made by the entire committee. So if you're interviewer is an adcom member, he/she may be really pushing to accept you but the committee ultimately decides waitlist/rejection.

Agreed

I DONT KNOW WHY I DIDNT GET IN! I totally walked in looking like the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air with my jacket inside out. I slapped the interviewer on the butt and said "Lets get this show on the road" while kicking my muddy sneakers up on her desk. My phone rung while she was talking (of course I answered it) and I referred to myself in the third person the whole time. My mom called me as I was leaving the building and told me they sent a rejection letter in the mail. (Before I even left the interview) I didnt know that was possible.:(

The funny thing about this thread is it's pretentious.

When people ask me how I've done I've always said, "I think I did well, but you never know."

I DONT KNOW WHY I DIDNT GET IN! I totally walked in looking like the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air with my jacket inside out. I slapped the interviewer on the butt and said "Lets get this show on the road" while kicking my muddy sneakers up on her desk. My phone rung while she was talking (of course I answered it) and I referred to myself in the third person the whole time. My mom called me as I was leaving the building and told me they sent a rejection letter in the mail. (Before I even left the interview) I didnt know that was possible.:(

:laugh:

The funny thing about this thread is it's pretentious.

When people ask me how I've done I've always said, "I think I did well, but you never know."

Haha, I don't think I've ever killed an interview!! I always critique my answers and analyze every facial expression

Last edited:

So basically this?:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY7anGG16u0[/YOUTUBE]

Oh sorry, I should have been more specific...

But I meant to leave the definition open so everyone can have their own interpretation of "killed the interview." Some feel they killed it if the conversation went great and it practically ended with a couple of high-fives and teary hugs between the two, some feel they killed it if they felt their answers were creative and they feel the interviewer's face light up with every answer.

I wanted to hear the results after YOU felt like you killed it. Not according to my definition or others, but by indication of the elated high you felt after leaving the room.

So basically this?:

[YOUTUBE]VY7anGG16u0[/YOUTUBE]
No my good sir. I have a lot more sense than that guy, going in there with a loose tie. I wore a du-rag to show that Im in touch with my uban side and I sagged to show Im independent and a free thinker. I just dont see what I did wrong.:(

A self-reported "killer" interview coupled with a rejection letter is a fairly reliable indicator of Axis II pathology.