Has anyone actually used admissions consulting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwaway3214

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have what I would consider a fairly strong application in terms of a high MCAT score (520), okay ECs and research, and lots of clinical experience. I'm a little worried about how to explain my low GPA (3.3) as I'm not sure my MCAT score will be enough to make up for it. I have no idea where to start with my personal statement and I'm just really in need of some advice with the application cycle in general. Because of all this I was thinking of using my Kaplan employee discount to purchase an admissions consulting package.

Has anyone purchased an admissions consulting package from Kaplan or elsewhere? What was your experience with it? I'm completely on board if I get a consultant who's served on an adcom, but all they say on the website is that "Most have served on admissions committees or as advisors" but I don't know if they're inflating that or if they just mean most are pre-med advisors. Not to mention in my experience Kaplan can be a little corporate centric (i.e., "If the students question the Kaplan methods, just say xxx to reassure them...") and I wouldn't really want an advisor who's just gonna give me some spiel.

TLDR: Have you used admissions consulting? If so, how was it?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't pay them. Advice here is BETTER and free. Kaplan, TPR, etc. Are all in the business to make money. Whether you get in or not, is not their concern (kind of , because they still need to sell their product).

Your GPA is a little low but the mcat is amazing. Sounds like your EC are within range. Have you applied before?

My admissions consulting: you’re on it. SDN was mega helpful

Members don't see this ad :)
3) Lets see your AMCAS GPA Grid to see what is going on with your grades to advise you how to approach it

OP once you fill out your AMCAS, it'll calculate your GPA for each year of school. With a low GPA, admissions committees are going to be looking for an upward trend.

The other general advice I'll give is to be reflective and concise in your ECs/personal statement. Seems intuitive but you'd be surprised how many people forget to mention what they learned from an experience. That's what some AdComms told me after they rejected me my first cycle anyway.

+1 for SDN, I wouldn’t be here without it.

Don’t pay for what you can get free and on demand.