Has anyone called schools to follow up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poiu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating whether or not to call the schools that I haven't heard back from, but have sent out interviews already. :confused: Are there any schools you would recommend not calling, or have had a bad experience with? What exactly do you say when you call? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

dont call the schools that specifically mention " not to call or contact"

.A couple schools have sent emails saying "please be patient," which may equate to "please don't call us about your status"

I was thinking about calling regardless of this, to the following schools:

UNLV
Indiana
LECOM
Midwestern (AZ & IL)
..Case Western Reserve
NYU

Any more input?

Members don't see this ad :)
I called last year to Columbia, nyu, and Penn, and they all pretty much said that my application was still under review with the committee and that's all they knew. I'm sure a lot of the schools would say the same thing beause if they gave too much info over the phone, students would be calling all the time.

.A couple schools have sent emails saying "please be patient," which may equate to "please don't call us about your status"

I was thinking about calling regardless of this
, to the following schools:

UNLV
Indiana
LECOM
Midwestern (AZ & IL)
..Case Western Reserve
NYU

Any more input?

Thats where you put yourself in these likely positions:

1) it makes no difference if you call
2) It effects you negatively because you failed to follow simple directions.

This early, you're looking for bad news if you go calling. You'll either get the generic, "still processing" or "you're on hold" sort of thing. I'd rather wait for the bad news than to call and find out they've passed on me.

There's a contact log in your file if they decided to use it. Careful what you call about and how often you call.

This early, you're looking for bad news if you go calling. You'll either get the generic, "still processing" or "you're on hold" sort of thing. I'd rather wait for the bad news than to call and find out they've passed on me.

There's a contact log in your file if they decided to use it. Careful what you call about and how often you call.

The LSU admissions director told our pre-health club that he likes when people show concern about their file by calling each week (politely); it shows they are eager and determined. That being said, I don't know if it's the same at every school.

I'm debating whether or not to call the schools that I haven't heard back from, but have sent out interviews already. :confused: Are there any schools you would recommend not calling, or have had a bad experience with? What exactly do you say when you call? Thanks :)
You can ask them:
1. When can I expect to be notified of my interview date?
2. How soon after my interview shall I expect to be notified of my acceptance?

The LSU admissions director told our pre-health club that he likes when people show concern about their file by calling each week (politely); it shows they are eager and determined. That being said, I don't know if it's the same at every school.

What the LSU Dean of Admissions forgot to tell you is that his comments apply to applicants who happen to have outstanding stats.

I just called Case today about my application status. They said everything was complete and the committee had not made a decision yet. The lady that took my call was very nice though! :] Im just sick of waiting! haha

I'm pretty sure UDM wants you to call them to follow up with your application. They provide 3 different numbers to do so. I tried calling the other day and they said to call back in 2 weeks, since they're busy with orientation.

I called up UF to see if they received all parts of my supplementary application sent in different emails and they were really nice about it.

Oh sorry..you meant schools you haven't heard back from. It's still early on. Check your bank statement. Some of my checks were deposited and I didn't hear back from the school until like two weeks later, one school a whole month later!

I agree with doc, those are two safe questions to ask.

So...is it still to early to be calling schools and asking why you didn't get an interview?

I emailed various updates (schedule, activities, etc), and then follow that up with a call to confirm that they updated things. A couple days later I heard from those schools. Coincidence? Probably. But it couldn't have hurt to double check that everything made it through the beaurocracy and to show interest and concern.

I would think that calling/ not calling has nothing related to receiving an interview or not, or showing interest or concern of not getting an interview offer from that school. When we call we usually just speak to someone in the admissions office (assistant perhaps) and that's it. We don't speak to anyone that is in the committee or to someone that can help make it go faster or slower. I think this should be the case but then again I maybe wrong. Someone please please correct me if they have more info.

Last edited:
if the school said " please dont contact us through the phone, or at all" , then I would suggest NOT contacting them. if not, calling and asking about your status seems fine, just dont be annoying ( more than once a week/2weeks).

I emailed various updates (schedule, activities, etc), and then follow that up with a call to confirm that they updated things. A couple days later I heard from those schools. Coincidence? Probably. But it couldn't have hurt to double check that everything made it through the beaurocracy and to show interest and concern.

to update EC's ? hm.. why didn't I think of doing that.. I just figured once the AADSAS application is sent out then there's nothing else you can do but wait..

anyone else emailed schools with activities updates?

If I were working in the Admissions office answering phones, I would be pretty annoyed with these type of phone calls that after a certain point, I would start inserting ding recommendations into these files. With that being said, y'all can please keep calling them schools especially the ones to which I'm applying.

I would think that calling/ not calling has nothing related to receiving an interview or not, or showing interest or concern of not getting an interview offer from that school. When we call we usually just speak to someone in the admissions office (assistant perhaps) and that's it. We don't speak to anyone that is in the committee or to someone that can help make it go faster or slower. I think this should be the case but then again I maybe wrong. Someone please please correct me if they have more info.

Actually you are wrong. A wise man once told me that admissions assistants/coordinators/counselors or whatever the glorified name for secretary is these days, have a lot of influence. They can positively/negatively affect your candidacy based on their feedback to the admissions officers.